Southerners

soupkids

So I'm sitting at home watching TV with the wife and I get a call from our district GM.

Some guy and his buddy from down south blew a corner on the C115D and burried one sled, needs help and a groomer to get him out, hmm.

Yes the sled is in deep but not that deep, see video the owner took.

So I give him a call and make arrangements to meet him today to retrieve stuck sled.

So we dig and pack down a path (snow is waist deep or better).

Now we can't get the sled going (A.C. 7000, 4 smoke). 

Pull a battery from another sled, away we go.

I tell the owner to jump on and ride it out, he looks at me and says I do it.

Drove it out with hardly spinning the track.

I would say it took less than an hour for the whole process, hardest part was getting the sled started..

4 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Were not all bad I promise:grin:

I call Bullsh!t ... :lmao:

Thx for helping them.  I may have experienced some deeper powder this past trip with the 7000. Not that bad though. ;)

4 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Is there something wrong about flagging down a couple of riders passing by and asking for help??? Calling for a groomer to extricate seems a bit extreme to me.....

When I was broke down with the 1200 last Sunday, with my wife, my 5 year old and 10 year old, 2 guys stopped, both refused to tow me 4km to the road, and three people blew by us at 40km/ hour. I realized quick to make sure I can take care of my own problems while out on the trail. The old 440 towed the 1200, the wife and both kids thankfully! Just saying you can't always rely on guys driving by. Not all are what I'd call helpful... 

1 minute ago, Jason T said:

When I was broke down with the 1200 last Sunday, with my wife, my 5 year old and 10 year old, 2 guys stopped, both refused to tow me 4km to the road, and three people blew by us at 40km/ hour. I realized quick to make sure I can take care of my own problems while out on the trail. The old 440 towed the 1200, the wife and both kids thankfully! Just saying you can't always rely on guys driving by. Not all are what I'd call helpful... 

Totally agree some people out there are real douche bags.

Today we stopped to help someone who was new to the sport or had rented the sled.  

They tried to turn around off trail at a fair size intersection got stuck really bad.  Took 6 people to get it out back onto the trail.  They carried on after we got them unstuck .  We taught them how to get out of the deep stuff and what you need to do.  Felt good helping.

8 minutes ago, Jason T said:

What....this is a rare thing to hear!

Just recalled a guy on LOB past Sat that I stopped to see what I could do, his belt blew and the thread from the belt was wrapped around the pri. real good, he was wondering if I had a wrench big enough to take off the pri., but my tool kit is not that vast.

He already had a friend with him and his kids were heading back to get some tools.

We got talking about things and one of the things was actually if anyone else stopped....and the answer was no....:headbang:

1 hour ago, Wimpy said:

Thx for helping them.  I may have experienced some deeper powder this past trip with the 7000. Not that bad though. ;)

So we heard ;)

2 hours ago, Jason T said:

In Abitibi 2 weeks ago 6 of us stopped to help a guy who blew a corner-snow was chest deep. Owner was standing on trail watching us work-I said to him get in there and help-are you paralyzed-cudn't believe it! One of our guys is 69 with a heart condition-I'm 65!

2 hours ago, Jason T said:

That is disgusting.

2 hours ago, stoney said:

What....this is a rare thing to hear!

Just recalled a guy on LOB past Sat that I stopped to see what I could do, his belt blew and the thread from the belt was wrapped around the pri. real good, he was wondering if I had a wrench big enough to take off the pri., but my tool kit is not that vast.

He already had a friend with him and his kids were heading back to get some tools.

We got talking about things and one of the things was actually if anyone else stopped....and the answer was no....:headbang:

Never seen a wrench that would pull a clutch. Is this a new thing? Sad that nobody else stopped. I pulled a guy out of a swamp, he and i rode to the bar and he bought me a couple of beers, very nice. Then another guy I pulled out of a swamp never even said thanks. Would still pull that same guy out again.

12 minutes ago, zoso said:

Never seen a wrench that would pull a clutch. Is this a new thing? Sad that nobody else stopped. I pulled a guy out of a swamp, he and i rode to the bar and he bought me a couple of beers, very nice. Then another guy I pulled out of a swamp never even said thanks. Would still pull that same guy out again.

That is one of the things we were talking about and I asked him if he ever pulled his clutch before, I did not think he was going to have much luck sitting in the middle of LOB, so we were talking about places in the area he could tow the sled too, once his kids returned, that could pull the clutch off for him with the right tools and a whole lot faster.

12 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Is there something wrong about flagging down a couple of riders passing by and asking for help??? Calling for a groomer to extricate seems a bit extreme to me.....

I am surprised they didn't call 911.  The citiots around here would

Oh I tell you the city-its were out in full force this week end in the PS/Muskoka area! The inmates were running the prison on Saturday. I can't count how many random acts of retardedness I witnessed in 350km, OMG.

9 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

In Abitibi 2 weeks ago 6 of us stopped to help a guy who blew a corner-snow was chest deep. Owner was standing on trail watching us work-I said to him get in there and help-are you paralyzed-cudn't believe it! One of our guys is 69 with a heart condition-I'm 65!

So you young guys needed some help, eh?

Thank you for lending a hand, sometimes teaching by example works, sometimes it don't!

17 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Oh I tell you the city-its were out in full force this week end in the PS/Muskoka area! The inmates were running the prison on Saturday. I can't count how many random acts of retardedness I witnessed in 350km, OMG.

I went out sat and sun morn for about 40 ks each day and turned around and came home as the race track was in full force ,took the wife shopping which is big time boring but I’m alive to tell about it :D

I always stop at stopped sleds in hopes I have favour returned.   2 years ago my buddies girldfriends new used sled let go about 50 km into the trip, we rode back to get truck and trailer while she waited. She insisted we go or I would have waited myself, not one sled stopped at her to inquire if she needed help.  She was sitting there hood up and a puddle of coolant/oil underneath it. and she's not hard on the eyes so I don't understand it.

14 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Most people will stop without being flagged down to ask if you need help. My wife buried hers in Six Mile Lake Park once. I was having a heck of a time getting her out. A large group of guys came along. There were now enough of us to essentially pick the sled up and carry it out.

One of our group blew a belt on the ice just north of Penetang on Saturday. We had about 6 or 7 people stop and ask if we needed any help. The first guy saw what we were doing and handed us a wrench saying here's the size you need while we were still clearing up the shredded belt.

14 hours ago, Jason T said:

That's sad... I know if I see someone at the side of a trail with an engine panel opened up I'm always going to stop and see if I can help. I always carry booster cables and now one of the battery packs for boosting. Plus a tow strap.

11 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Been there. A guy we USED to ride with got stuck on C trail where it comes out to Muskoka Rd. 38. He was standing there watching the rest of us working to get his sled out. He would have kept watching if we hadn't of said anything.

1 hour ago, SRXChris said:

I always stop at stopped sleds in hopes I have favour returned.   2 years ago my buddies girldfriends new used sled let go about 50 km into the trip, we rode back to get truck and trailer while she waited. She insisted we go or I would have waited myself, not one sled stopped at her to inquire if she needed help.  She was sitting there hood up and a puddle of coolant/oil underneath it. and she's not hard on the eyes so I don't understand it.

You know the entitlement we all hate. Those that pass by are likely the entitled as well. "I'm not stopping and interrupting MY ride for anything". I've turned around and towed numerous people back to town instead of enjoying my ride. One guy kept wanting to pay me another barely mumbled thanks.  

21 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Were not all bad I promise:grin:

I'm a little bad ... :o

cheers

Archived