Today's Surprise - NCDN

Claire Voyant

Well, I've seen it all. Short ride today to check a couple signs on L143 and logging near L141.

Cruising down L143 came across a fellow wearing camo, sitting on a stool, with a rifle on a tripod...set up to shoot ACROSS the trail. A wolf hunter, part of a group being guided by a local. On Family Day weekend. 

There are no words.

20190217_132555.jpg

There are so many things wrong. I am not an expert in hunting or firearms regulations, but on a public trail, on Family Day Weekend... madness is so generally widespread.

27 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

I hope someone called the mnr

Our Trail Patrol protocol is to report such issues to our Club President and discuss the appropriate action to take.

Was he checking for trail permits?

5 minutes ago, Blake G said:

No, but within minutes we did encounter a group of visiting riders who were displaying multi-day permits on a couple of CLASSICS. A 1979 Kawasaki and a vintage Polaris 440 (didn't get the year) with a couple newer sleds. Loved it.

2 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Well, I've seen it all. Short ride today to check a couple signs on L143 and logging near L141.

Cruising down L143 came across a fellow wearing camo, sitting on a stool, with a rifle on a tripod...set up to shoot ACROSS the trail. A wolf hunter, part of a group being guided by a local. On Family Day weekend. 

There are no words.

20190217_132555.jpg

Glad we avoided that area today.. yikes..

He May have been totally in his rights to be doing What he was doing.... the location is beyond questionable.... idgit....

Just now, Denis007 said:

He May have been totally in his rights to be doing What he was doing.... the location is beyond questionable.... idgit....

He's a paying client, being guided by someone who says "Set up here". I honestly don't think he had a clue. We saw the guide and other armed hunters moving onto the trails as we headed back to town. 

I think I would have run back and forth a few times to make sure the wolves knew somebody was around.

Denis, what are the chances of coming across a wolf on the trail during the day up here?

37 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Denis, what are the chances of coming across a wolf on the trail during the day up here?

Last year we came across 2 that refused to get into the bush just this side of the KB river on the A trail.  Had to overtake them at speed. Another time 3 years ago I saw one near Mooseland on the trail, he walked into the bush ... saw another one a few years ago too but don't recall where. 

52 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I saw a beautiful one just outside wawa when we went through last week. Track and piss all over the place too.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I think I would have run back and forth a few times to make sure the wolves knew somebody was around.

Wolves do not seem to be frightened off by sleds. While they will not approach you, and will flee if they are on the trail when you approach, they will not leave the area unless they are already looking to do so. When a wolf pack is in an area they are there to hunt and if they are having success in an area they will remain. I have seen hundreds of them over the years. One pack that lived in the bush across from my house would stalk you as you rode through their area. The alpha would position himself up high and observe you,. They are very intelligent animals.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Lots in Que.-have seen them N. of Temiskaming on the railbed-they jump off/let you go by and then get right back on-it's their trail-not ours!

3 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Lots in Que.-have seen them N. of Temiskaming on the railbed-they jump off/let you go by and then get right back on-it's their trail-not ours!

I tought the chinese built the railroad, turns out it was wolves.:rotflmao:

We've tracks north of Hearst, but no sightings. Seen a couple on & near the woodlot years ago.

16 hours ago, Blake G said:

No permit... let's chat... I can be persuasive.

Archived