2019 Great Big Loop Trip

revrnd

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Revrnd

Thanks for documenting our 2019 Northern Excursion, aka Great Big Loop.  This was a great trip with great group of guys.   Thank you all for joining

3 hours ago, irREVerent said:

I'll second that, revrnd...I appreciated your time and effort spent documenting our trip via your daily pics & blog.  Despite a few "challenges" along the way (especially today's blinding snow storm), I had a great time. 

Great trip & a good group to ride w/. Marked a few things off the bucket list.

Glad you guys enjoyed the travelogue. Maybe I could 'package' it as a magazine article? :evil2:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cookster said:

hey I am famous, I am in the background.   2 skidoo's with spare gas cans on back parked in front  of the cars me and bud standing there.

Were you guys just leaving as we arrived? If you had walked over to our sleds you would've see the REVRND decals:

20190205_163249-1.thumb.jpg.9a837abe90bb59f1b6569948a38dbb04.jpg

SJ has his nickname on the w/s of his sled too.

Around 7 PM 4 guys rolled into the motel in the rain (since changed to snow). They had left Cochrane this morning. Missed the A108 intersection near Bourkes & ended up taking the long way on TOP A via Elk Lake.

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

Checked in @ the Econo Lodge in New Liskeard. Not chancing the weather 'down south' +1* right now.

We left Elk Lake @ 9:15 & got here @ 12:18. Considering the horrible visibility & drifting that is very good time for 87 klicks. Running the railbed between the rail bridge & Club Echo clubhouse, you couldn't the trail it was blowing & snowing so bad. My glasses fogged up so I ran the rest of the way 'blind'. Some signage issues on the TOP A reroute near Uno Park Rd. 

My skis are the TS Pilots w/ yellow loops. The skis on irREVerent's Blizzard are stock. The Split Rails are on reLeaf's sled.

All 3 are 900ACEs. I ran in Standard mode while the other 2 usually ran in Sport. I seemed to take less gas @ the fillups. There was a bit if a mileage experiment going on yesterday as reLeaf ran from Timmins to Gowganda before filling (skipping T-C-P). He had a Linq tank so he had a reserve. After the low fuel light came on, he ran 60 klicks to Gowganda where he took 38 L. Not sure off the top if my head what that distance would be.

Sorry to hear that the weather messed with the tail end of your ride. At least the issue was blowing snow and impending rain, but not a total meltdown.

Thanks for the Blizzard info. Our group containing three 900 aces did a fuel trial with one machine from Wawa area to Searchmont. 320 km were covered and there were 3L left in the tank. I am thinking of buying a new sled, but it will have to be a 900 NA again.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tricky said:

Sorry to hear that the weather messed with the tail end of your ride. At least the issue was blowing snow and impending rain, but not a total meltdown.

Thanks for the Blizzard info. Our group containing three 900 aces did a fuel trial with one machine from Wawa area to Searchmont. 320 km were covered and there were 3L left in the tank. I am thinking of buying a new sled, but it will have to be a 900 NA again.

I'll post the test distance when I start messing w/ the GPS files this week.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

Were you guys just leaving as we arrived? If you had walked over to our sleds you would've see the REVRND decals:

20190205_163249-1.thumb.jpg.9a837abe90bb59f1b6569948a38dbb04.jpg

SJ has his nickname on the w/s of his sled too.

I think we pulled in a few seconds after you's..  remember the photo shoot going on.  also remember,  butter tarts and pickled eggs sales went up in the club house.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cookster said:

I think we pulled in a few seconds after you's..  remember the photo shoot going on.  also remember,  butter tarts and pickled eggs sales went up in the club house.

Youve been watching my S-I-L's messages on Faceplant LOL.

Just getting ready to leave New Liskeard -14*

Good thing your traveling by sled, 100's of roads closed in the province.

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Good thing your traveling by sled, 100's of roads closed in the province.

Actually left New Liskeard. 11 was closed north of the motels.

Here is the section of C101D that was plowed (when Nunz rode it). 

image.png.da8d44aef97d79b1e13bf4b54594fe00.png

It was snow covered for us, but you could feel the gravel.

This shows the construction @ Crow Creek south of the Reesor Siding monument:

1957983080_CrowCreekBridge.JPG.8b8b4abc7eea0a487593053dc6b7ad41.JPG

The day we rode thru, snow cover was thin.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, revrnd said:

I'll post the test distance when I start messing w/ the GPS files this week.

reLeaf went 267 klicks & took 38 L to fill. He said that he rode 60 klicks after the Low Fuel light came on.

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2019 at 10:27 PM, revrnd said:

Last full day on the snow. Arrived in Elk Lake around 5. 246 klicks. TOP C was good to the A107C intersection. A107C was OK to Gowganda. It was pretty rough the rest of the way to Elk Lake.

Going by signage on Mattagami Lake, Minakwa Lodge is the gas stop there, no longer the FN.

Snow @ T-C-P

TOP C east of Mattagami Lake

20190223_102603-1.thumb.jpg.57bb4c277d31d546ca02fff3a18863c2.jpg

On 2/23/2019 at 10:50 PM, revrnd said:

Lunch @ Auld Reekie

Fuel @ Gowganda Lake Camp

20190223_142126-1.thumb.jpg.022c7347d70f24f8ceb6a73680337d14.jpg

Height of land southwest of Elk Lake

Re: LinQ brackets

@Gadgetman In the 1st pic you can see @Re:Leaf 's Blizzard w/ the stacked accessories. The 2nd pic is mine w/ the SR21 bag. It's fine for carrying gear for a multi-day trip. However for daytrips, it's a bit bulky.

6613613B-1EEB-46C1-A1CF-7F82BB8F29C9.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Re: LinQ brackets

@Gadgetman In the 1st pic you can see @Re:Leaf 's Blizzard w/ the stacked accessories. The 2nd pic is mine w/ the SR21 bag. It's fine for carrying gear for a multi-day trip. However for daytrips, it's a bit bulky.

@revrndI must carry way too much stuff for me to get away with  that 21l bag, on a 5 day trip. Our packing list originated close to 20 years ago, when all kinds of things would go wrong. I am trying to remove some spare items, "but you never know" when you need a dry pair of socks! My 5 day saddle bag is always stuffed.

20180214_125640.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

@revrndI must carry way too much stuff for me to get away with  that 21l bag, on a 5 day trip. Our packing list originated close to 20 years ago, when all kinds of things would go wrong. I am trying to remove some spare items, "but you never know" when you need a dry pair of socks! My 5 day saddle bag is always stuffed.

20180214_125640.jpg

Oh I have saddle bags too. The SR21 is more for sled stuff. I've winnowed down the clothing over the years as it was all nicely packed @ the start of the trip...