What is left in South Eastern Ontario.

zoso

Solid as a rock and a little warm and rain will not melt this ice base and snow. 10 cm is all it is going to take to get these trails up and running. I was out prior to the last melt and they were hard, and smooth for the most part. With a little snow, grooming will not even be needed. The last storm that came through was rain but -8 so it just coated everything in ice and actually will serve to protect the base from the next storm which will bring more ice, but also 5mm of rain and plus 4. The trails should be rideable by next wednesday if the forecast holds. Shorth video showing the coverage around my house. 

34 minutes ago, jeffgrah said:

I was out around Winchester and the trials were good just to bad the freezing rain caused me to quit. 

The freezing rain is a major pain. We were caught in it last year. Even those with heated visors were freezing up. I kept having to take my mitt off, clear the ice with my bare hand and wipe with a cloth I had tucked behind the windshield. I needed the heat from my hand to melt the ice enough to get it off. Two of us broke off from the group and took the longer route home through the trees rather than across the ice since it provided better shelter from the freezing rain.

Since then I have taken a page from Sledjunk's book about being prepared. I have a small spray bottle that used to contain eye glass cleaner. It's now filled with Rain X windshield de-icer. I haven't had to use it yet but have it just in case.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

The freezing rain is a major pain. We were caught in it last year. Even those with heated visors were freezing up. I kept having to take my mitt off, clear the ice with my bare hand and wipe with a cloth I had tucked behind the windshield. I needed the heat from my hand to melt the ice enough to get it off. Two of us broke off from the group and took the longer route home through the trees rather than across the ice since it provided better shelter from the freezing rain.

Since then I have taken a page from Sledjunk's book about being prepared. I have a small spray bottle that used to contain eye glass cleaner. It's now filled with Rain X windshield de-icer. I haven't had to use it yet but have it just in case.

I went out last Sat., rode to get gas and came home due to freezing rin. Just as you describe, had to use my bare hand a few times so as to see.

That sounds quite promising Craig. Lots of clubs that are closed adjacent to Limited trails may just be in standby mode. Fingers crossed!

Did your local club groom prior to the warm up?

12 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

That sounds quite promising Craig. Lots of clubs that are closed adjacent to Limited trails may just be in standby mode. Fingers crossed!

Did your local club groom prior to the warm up?

No. However they did not need to. Even after the warm weather and the free weekend, the trails were flat. the trils had mostly an ice base, close to 8 inches of solid ice in spots, down to frozen ground in some area of fields. So there was no good a groomer could do when they were softer and then it became cold once again and everything firmed up. I posted a video of part of my ride this week and they were tight and decent then. We did get more ice on them since. The groomer most likely would do more harm than good right now. hoping to see the base survive the mini melt they forecast overnight. if it does by Tuesday we will see them open again. Technically you could ride here, but they are closed and there is no lube. Vid from monday. 

I rode in the mess last Sunday. 

I wound up with a passenger, a rescue from the back of a CK3 touring sled. 

Poor thing was frozen, and to tears with all the bouncing.  Nobody could see where the bumps were, what with the flat light, and iced up visors.

I gave her my gloves, which were warm and dry, and put her on the front on my sled where the ride was best, and I could make sure she didn't fall off. 

I wore her mitts (Mom's) had that fleece/wool stuff on the back,  and man, did they make short work of the iced up visor.

Like a scotch-brite pad. 

I'm looking at guying a pair to keep in the bag for just this.

Anyone else have a similar experience? 

Maybe a brand suggestion?

Archived