Southern Ontario is pooched!

Baylaker

had a great day Saturday riding D9.....this wkd coming up is our big shakedown ride to make sure the equipment is ready....thru-mon leaving Sudbury and just running north in onatrio...then the following  fri leaving North Bay and riding to Gaspse for 10-15days of riding round trip.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IQ TURBO said:

Yes. It ALWAYS reaffirms my mind,  why we ride...8-)

I’d love to ride way up north, and eventually one day I will. But right now Sudbury or 4-5hrs north is basically my cut off due to snow removal commitments back home. If we get a nasty storm while I’m away, a 4-5hr drive back home is one thing,  but 9hrs or so plus another 12hrs sitting in the truck plowing is another. 12hrs sitting in the truck plowing sucks as it is. We’re lucky as of right now we don’t have the kids this coming weekend and the weather looks like it will allow us to slip away...I hope

9 minutes ago, Lep said:

had a great day Saturday riding D9.....this wkd coming up is our big shakedown ride to make sure the equipment is ready....thru-mon leaving Sudbury and just running north in onatrio...then the following  fri leaving North Bay and riding to Gaspse for 10-15days of riding round trip.

Sounds like your shakedown rides are what everyone’s normal rides are lol

I hope to try the NCDN some day too 

but right now I spend too much time on the 400 hwys every week as it is, a 9 hr drive is not too appealing

plus a buddy moved to Sturgeon Falls and that's far enough for now. Never rode those trails

Don't even get me started! Was really hoping to go on my yearly weekend in dorset trailer free. Sled from wasaga up. Doubt that's happening now.

6 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Don't even get me started! Was really hoping to go on my yearly weekend in dorset trailer free. Sled from wasaga up. Doubt that's happening now.

I was going to drive further than wasaga, but i had seen enough for the day. All that’s left is piles at the end of driveway. And maybe 6” on the ground in some places. Get out the wave runners and drop them in the fields! Lots of flooding in the fields...

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

It's amazing to go from -32 to +15 in such a short time frame, it's really depressing and I am sick of being pisseed off about it, investing in anything winter weather dependent these days is a complete waste of time, money and energy, sleds, rinks, skiing, whatever, save it and find something else to do

It surely is amazing!

Just be happy you don't have much wrapped up into the sport.

I'd be bummed just as much about the thaws even if I didn't ride, I hate when its not winterish outside in the winter months.

5 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

Thank God I have gotten into ice fishing

That’s one thing I need to get back into, I sold my clam hut & flasher years ago and regretted it. Still have auger, all 7 rod and reel combos and tackle though. Lol I don’t have time for both right now anyways, so for now I’m choosing to sled. Once I’m retired, I’ll have plenty of time to do both

Pretty depressing driving home from Barrie today and seeing +11c on my trucks dashboard.   Luckily, I am going to Quebec for a week on Wed.   

I cant see Southern Ontario getting back open this year.   

you really just either commit your in, or commit your out. pick your poison and destination. for those worried about a 4-8 hour drive i feel for you but, again... in or out? 

we opted to invest in a vacation home in our favorite riding area. now we just bring up the sleds and leave them first trip up, unless they need major repairs. we can zip up to the house in the awd subaru, saving gas, wear and tear on the truck, trailer, ect... once you do this, it is easy to do, no more packing the tools, spares, gear, fuel, sleds ect... it is all there. throw on your gear, and ride.

the price we paid for the house would have paid for ALOT OF HOTEL STAYS but, waking up in your own bed, with sleds outside the door, and no trailering, is worth the price of admission. with that said... i talked to people in town tonight, your rain turned into over a foot of fresh snow northeast of lake superior, with another 6-8" coming thursday. that is why the true north has its draw, from central north. the snow comes, and stays. good luck and safe travels to us all. Ski

Friend of mines father lives in Cobalt, he just sent me this pic of the snow storm up there.. Some relief from this depressing rain.

B9A625E3-C136-4B9E-B2FD-03A147DFFF21.jpeg

My daughter goes to University in North Bay and she said it is freezing rain there right now.  

36 minutes ago, scottyr said:

My daughter goes to University in North Bay and she said it is freezing rain there right now.  

Hey there  my Daughter is there too. Was up there this weekend sledding with her, Mattawa, Deep River and back. Tons of snow.  Rode today in North Bay too and freezing rain. Left at 3:30 pm  with -4  and at Powassen was 2 degrees and 3 and pouring rain by Sundridge. Couldn't believe the temps going up and rain all the way home.   8 degees from Huntsville till hwy 9  then climbed to 11.  Windy too  and that melts the snow quick.  The truck and trailer dont need to be washed at least LOL

Still below freezing here and zero rain. We have lost no snow as of yet and road is still well covered. Looks like our local trails will survive this latest melt as the weatherman has been wrong again thus far. The above freezing prediction is now only a few hours 8 at most and with no or little rain riding from home may still be a go.

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

you really just either commit your in, or commit your out. pick your poison and destination. for those worried about a 4-8 hour drive i feel for you but, again... in or out? 

we opted to invest in a vacation home in our favorite riding area. now we just bring up the sleds and leave them first trip up, unless they need major repairs. we can zip up to the house in the awd subaru, saving gas, wear and tear on the truck, trailer, ect... once you do this, it is easy to do, no more packing the tools, spares, gear, fuel, sleds ect... it is all there. throw on your gear, and ride.

the price we paid for the house would have paid for ALOT OF HOTEL STAYS but, waking up in your our bed, with sleds outside the door, and no trailering, is worth the price of admission. with that said... i talked to people in town tonight, your rain turned into over a foot of fresh snow northeast of lake superior, with another 6-8" coming thursday. that is why the true north has its draw, from central north. the snow comes, and stays. good luck and safe travels to us all. Ski

That was a good investment Ski, Luc pointed out your place when we were last up. Good size to manage, perfect location for any powersports enthusiast...

Just looked out the front window, I think I want to crawl into a hole. This weekend needs to come quick!

13 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I’d love to ride way up north, and eventually one day I will. But right now Sudbury or 4-5hrs north is basically my cut off due to snow removal commitments back home. If we get a nasty storm while I’m away, a 4-5hr drive back home is one thing,  but 9hrs or so plus another 12hrs sitting in the truck plowing is another. 12hrs sitting in the truck plowing sucks as it is. We’re lucky as of right now we don’t have the kids this coming weekend and the weather looks like it will allow us to slip away...I hope

Isn't that a conflict of interest? Jekyll and Hyde? One side of you is looking for snow, and the other is trying to remove it. :D  Or was this an subconscious attempt to try and crack getting it off the parking lots and onto the trail. ;) 

Poured hard here in Muskoka last night .lost lots of snow,lakes look like crap,when it freezes trail will be concrete going to need a need snow fall .trailer time again

4 minutes ago, Sneaks said:

Isn't that a conflict of interest? Jekyll and Hyde? One side of you is looking for snow, and the other is trying to remove it. :D  Or was this an subconscious attempt to try and crack getting it off the parking lots and onto the trail. ;) 

I have contracts in place, I do not want it to snow as I will still get paid! But yes, definitely a conflict of interest lol. 

The ITG shows approx. 5000 km. of trails closed since last Friday.

Archived