Southern Ontario is pooched!

Baylaker

Sick of sitting around, we decided to take a drive up to wasaga and look at the bare fields all the the way up. Very little base left as of right now, and we haven’t had any rain yet. I will be very suprised if anything south of orillia opens back up after tonight’s rain. I think everyone will be back to trailering north again. I realize anything can happen overnight, but forecast doesn’t look too promising either. Tough season forsure...and depressing!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just reading that. I think everyone will be travelling to Sudbury, North Bay & Mattawa this coming weekend. Moonlight in Sudbury is pretty well booked. Chateau guay almost booked. We just booked valley inn for Friday and Saturday night!

and another round of plus temps and rain for southern ontario coming thursday, friday. prep those trailers. Ski

Yep, pretty fricken brutal I’d say! Maybe the new thing will be “February thaw” instead of January thaw.

It's amazing to go from -32 to +15 in such a short time frame, it's really depressing and I am sick of being pisseed off about it, investing in anything winter weather dependent these days is a complete waste of time, money and energy, sleds, rinks, skiing, whatever, save it and find something else to do

Frustrating, costly and sucks up energy forsure. I was so depressed this morning on the drive up to wasaga. Got home, booked Sudbury for the weekend and it’s like a boulder off the shoulder. Something to look forward to and plan for. I’ll never give this sport up no matter what Mother Nature may throw at us.

Guys, IMO, to be IN this sport, you need to realize that your going to be Trailering a lot if you want to ride consistently. PERIOD. I have been down the road, as many of you have as well, do I snow check, AGAIN, or don't I. Do I sell? or do I continue with it?. But once you ride the NCDN, its all worth it. We are now basing our riding in the NORTH, and when and if we can ride south of the Muskoka's, its a blessing. PERIOD..I hear you guys, new sleds, trailers, decent truck, wear and tear on said items, etc etc etc. Its not a poor mans sport, that's for sure. But when your on the sled, and its game time, theres nothing better. And that's why I am hooked.:icon_steer:

7 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Guys, IMO, to be IN this sport, you need to realize that your going to be Trailering a lot if you want to ride consistently. PERIOD. I have been down the road, as many of you have as well, do I snow check, AGAIN, or don't I. Do I sell? or do I continue with it?. But once you ride the NCDN, its all worth it. We are now basing our riding in the NORTH, and when and if we can ride south of the Muskoka's, its a blessing. PERIOD..I hear you guys, new sleds, trailers, decent truck, wear and tear on said items, etc etc etc. Its not a poor mans sport, that's for sure. But when your on the sled, and its game time, theres nothing better. And that's why I am hooked.:icon_steer:

Well said and ditto for us.. 

17 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

I rode out of my garage again today. I do not expect to get to ride as I did when I lived in Sudbury(from home for a solid 12 weeks), but have learned that the trails will open and riding will be available from home, just not all winter. I am ok with that and happy to load it on the trailer if I need more than I am getting here. No rain thus far here from the latest crappy weather but tonight we will see some and I doubt the trails will be ok after it. So, now it is either wait and see or trailer. To be honest, with what I have into it, sleds I own, a little maintenance, a pass and insurance, I have already gotten my money out of it this season. for my sled I have about 600 bucks into it not including fuel, so I would say that ten rides make it a superior value relative to other entertainment options. It would seem ten days of riding in the south east where I live is easy to get. The value is still there for me. I have one saddlebag tour booked for this year, and may do a second, but we also travel to ski, which costs as much or more than sledding. I think ones financial position may well dictate value, if you earn 40k per year, sledding may not be for you, but then again a movie and dinner may not be either. We need to realize that many people simply cannot afford this hobby and as someone else mentioned, flying is also a hobby most cannot participate in due to cost as are many other things, hell in one week I spent well over 3k to ski in Quebec.Got to aruba and you get the same bill, nothing comes cheap these days other thn sitting in the house watching TV, but that is over 1k per year as well.

13 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Thanks Nunz. Ask Mrs. IQ Turbo, how I get when the weather is like this around here. Im lucky I am still married some times!:o.. But now that shes riding, its goes both ways.

Haha, sounds familiar! Would I love to ride around home? Absolutely, it just sucks we were so close to having a decent season riding right from home, until this weather! I’m always ready to travel, do I like to? Not really because it costs a lot, but once your out there all the pain and suffering goes away and you forget about how much things cost! 

Baylaker when I was reading your post on the coming rain won’t put a dent into the snow you had in southern Gbay, I was on your side but deep inside I knew it was gonna disappear quick. 

Fresh snow like that doesn’t stand a chance to warm temps and rain.

Never even got close to 0 here today.

Freezing rain, sleet, snow.

Yes this warm up is sure off putting to say the least. 

42 yrs in the sport and so far only missed 1 winter. ( looking after a parent) 

20 yrs renting in the Almaguin Highlands was amazing but even their seasons are shorter now. 

Not the mention the seasonal rental prices have soared. 

Right now I still can't give this sport up and it's raining on my trailer lol

20 minutes ago, Fabio said:

Baylaker when I was reading your post on the coming rain won’t put a dent into the snow you had in southern Gbay, I was on your side but deep inside I knew it was gonna disappear quick. 

Fresh snow like that doesn’t stand a chance to warm temps and rain.

I honestly thought it was gona make it through, but then today realized just that and had to explain to the girlfriend that all that fresh, light and fluffy snow has no mass to it and that it disappears pretty damn quick lol

we didn’t start getting rain until a couple hours ago, just the warmth alone took its toll, the rain will just finish things off unfortunately..

4 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Yes this warm up is sure off putting to say the least. 

42 yrs in the sport and so far only missed 1 winter. ( looking after a parent) 

20 yrs renting in the Almaguin Highlands was amazing but even their seasons are shorter now. 

Not the mention the seasonal rental prices have soared. 

Right now I still can't give this sport up and it's raining on my trailer lol

Have you thought about buying or building your own cottage to rent out or use?

14 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Pouring rain here now.:banghead:. Tons of forescast snow for the north..:snow-141:B)

15-20cm forecasted for Sudbury this week! 

Just now, Baylaker said:

Have you thought about buying or building your own cottage to rent out or use?

Sure I have thought about it lol

even sketched up plans one year sitting at Edgewater lodge 

unfortunately plans change as does priorities 

24 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Sure I have thought about it lol

even sketched up plans one year sitting at Edgewater lodge 

unfortunately plans change as does priorities 

No doubt about it.

7 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Ever thought about riding the NCDN?.

Northern corridor? 

Archived