Southern Ontario is pooched!

Baylaker

It is what it is,mother nature will do what she wants to do.I will still stay with the sport regardless,if wife and I get a few kilometers in a season riding out from garage we are good. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you guys have trailers. My money for this season went into buying the sled and getting some important maintenance done. 

Definitely hoping to to buy a trailer for next year. Seems a necessary item these days. 

Had rain all night in the Ottawa area.. driveway is a mess.  Trails still seem okay for now..  need the deep freeze to start soon though. 

Checked the forecast..getting like 5mm of freezing rain on Thursday again.. at least the high is still below zero.. Mattawa supposed to get 10-15mm of freezing rain on Thursday!  :wacko:

1 hour ago, toddszr600 said:

Sitting outside Dorset on kawagama right now,  it poured last night, lot well over a foot of snow.  I think we are hooped, just watched a guy surf across the lake on his sled, doesnt look like fun.........

Did not want to read this news, was planning on being in that area on the weekend.

Just saw the MTM webcam, does not look good

14 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I’d love to ride way up north, and eventually one day I will. But right now Sudbury or 4-5hrs north is basically my cut off due to snow removal commitments back home. If we get a nasty storm while I’m away, a 4-5hr drive back home is one thing,  but 9hrs or so plus another 12hrs sitting in the truck plowing is another. 12hrs sitting in the truck plowing sucks as it is. We’re lucky as of right now we don’t have the kids this coming weekend and the weather looks like it will allow us to slip away...I hope

I feel your pain.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I plow snow as well. I used to be able to hire people to work for the winter but the last 5-8 years its been impossible. Its just myself and one long time employee now. I try to stay within 4 hours of home just so that I can run back if needed.

On Friday I have to leave to go on a cruise. I have 2 of my old friends and a friend of my employee on emergency call list to help depending on who is available. I have another plowing business lined up if all else fails. I dropped one of my plow trucks off at a guy's house that I subcontract from just so that he can help if needed.

When we get back I have 10 days before my employee goes for knee surgery then its me on my own until the season ends.....lol

I'm waiting for the lawn to freeze so that I can put that sleds back into storage. I think that's it for this year for me unless things can turn around while I'm gone.

I've made the decision to give up plowing myself next year. I'm cutting the plowing down to a one truck route that my employee can handle on his own and I will be his back up. I hate to do it. Some of my clients have been with me for 15 years or more.

I'm getting older and there are sled trips that I want to make and she wants to go to her place in Florida.  No way I can do it and still drive a plow truck.

3 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Just looked out the front window, I think I want to crawl into a hole. This weekend needs to come quick!

I'm with you... there's one small patch of snow left on the lawn. Hopefully the Midland area and north faired better. Especially considering the 30" of snow they got in Midland.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The ITG shows approx. 5000 km. of trails closed since last Friday.

Lots of clubs closed them in the hopes that people would stay off and they may survive without traffic.

1 hour ago, Snow Rider said:

At least you guys have trailers. My money for this season went into buying the sled and getting some important maintenance done. 

Definitely hoping to to buy a trailer for next year. Seems a necessary item these days. 

Do like I did long ago... rent a U-Haul trailer. They had an enclosed utility trailer with a ramp that was just wide enough and long enough for my old Grand Touring.

20 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I'm with you... there's one small patch of snow left on the lawn. Hopefully the Midland area and north faired better. Especially considering the 30" of snow they got in Midland.

Lots of clubs closed them in the hopes that people would stay off and they may survive without traffic.

Lots of clubs closed them because there is no f ing snow left

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Lots of clubs closed them because there is no f ing snow left

And lots closed them to preserve what they have. Depends on where you are looking I guess.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Hopefully the Midland area and north faired better. Especially considering the 30" of snow they got in Midland.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we need another good dumping. Crazy how much we lost.

What is left here... Not too bad considering, temps are falling, will be below zero in an hour or so and 10-20 cm will bring it back. The trail base was very solid yesterday and  much of it will have survived. 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

And lots closed them to preserve what they have. Depends on where you are looking I guess.

I was talking with my buddy in penetang this morning, he lives directly across the street from my dads place and he says they pretty well lost everything they got. Says it does not look good. I’d ask my dad, but he’s back at home here in the south.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I feel your pain.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. I plow snow as well. I used to be able to hire people to work for the winter but the last 5-8 years its been impossible. Its just myself and one long time employee now. I try to stay within 4 hours of home just so that I can run back if needed.

On Friday I have to leave to go on a cruise. I have 2 of my old friends and a friend of my employee on emergency call list to help depending on who is available. I have another plowing business lined up if all else fails. I dropped one of my plow trucks off at a guy's house that I subcontract from just so that he can help if needed.

When we get back I have 10 days before my employee goes for knee surgery then its me on my own until the season ends.....lol

I'm waiting for the lawn to freeze so that I can put that sleds back into storage. I think that's it for this year for me unless things can turn around while I'm gone.

I've made the decision to give up plowing myself next year. I'm cutting the plowing down to a one truck route that my employee can handle on his own and I will be his back up. I hate to do it. Some of my clients have been with me for 15 years or more.

I'm getting older and there are sled trips that I want to make and she wants to go to her place in Florida.  No way I can do it and still drive a plow truck.

And even when you’re away, your still watching the weather back home. You can never really relax like we should be able to. 

17 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

And even when you’re away, your still watching the weather back home. You can never really relax like we should be able to. 

Yep for sure.

A few years back we packed the sleds and went to Collingwood to ride for a couple days. The sleds never made it out of the trailer. The day before we left TWN said 5 cms, the morning we left they said 5-10. By the time we got there at 4pm  it was 10-15. We left at 9pm and drove home when it jumped to 20-30 cms.

7 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we need another good dumping. Crazy how much we lost.

You're one of those beachers....just kidding. I had to find some way to "not" find your bad news credible. I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed for Midland though. 70 cm in 3 days (28 in.) is an awful lot to have disappear. Whatever would be left will end up hard as rock but I'm hoping there will still be a solid base that won't take too much snow to rejuvenate.

My wife and i did a drive from Orillia down thru Midland and out 93 to Mt St Louis rd and across to Bass Lk rd. The base pretty much everywhere except for roadside driving and some fields seems to have held up from what I saw - even the raillines that I could see looked good except hard obviously.But this could be wishful thinking if thursdays' event is bad.The longrange forecast for the rest of February isnt very optimistic for snow either.Still doing our backup of vintage shows.

Kerry 

I can confirm midland area took a crap kicking. Trails still have some base, less so to the south and any fields are a mess. It rained so hard Monday night that I couldn’t see driving. Many folks dealing with flooding issues. If it was snow we would have had another 30”. Quite depressing at least the lake will be smooth again. Snow coming Friday but suspect the trails will show closed for the weekend. 

Just looking at the available trail counter on the ITG. Its down to 19,000 km. Late last week it was up to just about 25,000 km.   SAD!

I am sitting in Ville Marie PQ right now and from my observations driving up the 400 today, I cant see there being any decent sledding anywhere south of Kearney.   If you have time to drive that far, just go to North Bay.   There is a lot more snow there.  

21 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am sitting in Ville Marie PQ right now and from my observations driving up the 400 today, I cant see there being any decent sledding anywhere south of Kearney.   If you have time to drive that far, just go to North Bay.   There is a lot more snow there.  

I am heading to the missing link trails, hope they are ok.

We are changing our planned trip next week and heading eastward from Wilberforce. Our concern is the trails east of Cloyne. The Snow Road Snowmobile club has almost all their trails listed as closed. However the trails surrounding the club are either green or yellow (except to the south). Anyone from the area know what is going on? We are booked at a lodge in Plevna and I don't know if we can get there now with red trails. We are hoping for snow this weekend and more cold weather.

Thanks,

Jerry

Snow Road groomers were out yesterday, trails should open back up before the weekend, lots of base left in the bush, just gets thin as you get towards Perth and Lanark

Archived