OFSC's first Round About

XTC500

We took a little tour today from Mitchel down to St. Mary's. Trails weren't too bad, but the plowed fields were a little tough, especially the closer you got to St. Mary's. We encountered our first OFSC roundabout near St. Mary's. 

1440820554_Resized1.thumb.jpg.497eab1f52056366c1bf22e289a49154.jpg158538530_Resized2.thumb.jpg.882bfbf7a2d258e8c9185577b424536f.jpg

Nice to see ppl out and enjoying the snow. Did you guys park at the GoCo Gas Station?  What happened to the Yamaha Vector rider....  did he fall off going around the Roundabout? :rolleyes:

Well Paudash has a triangle intersection on a hill...

:mad:

5 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

What happened to the Yamaha Vector rider....  did he fall off going around the Roundabout?

He took the picture.  I'm in it standing beside the Thundercat.

30 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

He took the picture.  I'm in it standing beside the Thundercat.

I thought so. That 2010 Vector has a different windshield. Just a little observation.  

I haven't ridden those trails in 3 years. They look mint. Hope they hold up after this weekend with rain in forecast.

I hope roundabouts are not the new norm, like it seems to be with MTO!

IMO they are accidents just waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

I guess some bureaucrat assumes that if it's used in Europe that is the answer. I hate them myself. Especially the ones that they make two lanes wide. Sharp right to get on and another sharp right to get off, possibly with a lane change from the inner to the outer to get off the damned thing. How can all that maneuvering be better than a single stop followed by either straight through or a single turn either left or right.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I guess some bureaucrat assumes that if it's used in Europe that is the answer. I hate them myself. Especially the ones that they make two lanes wide. Sharp right to get on and another sharp right to get off, possibly with a lane change from the inner to the outer to get off the damned thing. How can all that maneuvering be better than a single stop followed by either straight through or a single turn either left or right.

Ahhhh .....  c'mon boys,  it's prevalent in Great Britain. It came about when the English was trying to capture William Wallace, he kept running in circles and there were no accidents ....  :rotflmao: hence the "Roundabout"  ... 

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Lots of them here in Waterloo and they are very effective at keeping traffic moving now that most drivers have figured them out. 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The roundabout at St. Jacobs where Highway 85 and Sawmill Rd. cross was one of the very early ones in Ontario. The highway here is used by a lot of commuter traffic and many very heavy tractor/trailers.The previous stop lights at this intersection created very long backups as the traffic volume waited as heavy trucks took a long time to get up to speed after stopping at the lights.

I crossed the intersection twice each workday for about 30 years before the roundabouts was installed. There were many many bad accidents with serious injuries and deaths at this intersection. I didn't think the roundabout was a good idea. After a few months using the  2 lane roundabout I changed my mind. The roundabout has kept traffic moving much better than the lights. There was/ is a long learning process for some drivers. Some still haven't figured out that you don't have to stop before entering the roundabout. If you watch ahead for openings you can be through the roundabout quickly most times. The traffic backups aren't as long as they used to be and we are creating less greenhouse gasses. There are still accidents but it is proven that the seriousness of the accident is much less than when we had stop lights. 

15 minutes ago, woodzi said:

Lots of them here in Waterloo and they are very effective at keeping traffic moving now that most drivers have figured them out. 

Just go down Ira Needles.  If you haven't figured them out when you start, you will by time you get to the end of that street.

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Just go down Ira Needles.  If you haven't figured them out when you start, you will by time you get to the end of that street.

I believe I read that there will be 11 of them on Franklin Blvd. in Cambridge

One of the  roundabouts in Collingwood-Wasaga is not flat.Transports are getting stuck on them all the time in snowy weather.You can't wiz around them with a B Train.They take up both lanes and you can't yield around them.They are 2 small for large commercial traffic.Plow drivers must get dizzy trying to keep them clean

26 minutes ago, gtserider said:

One of the  roundabouts in Collingwood-Wasaga is not flat.Transports are getting stuck on them all the time in snowy weather.You can't wiz around them with a B Train.They take up both lanes and you can't yield around them.They are 2 small for large commercial traffic.Plow drivers must get dizzy trying to keep them clean

The design engineers should be required to ride in a tractor trailer for a couple of days before they start their design.

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The design engineers should be required to ride in a tractor trailer for a couple of days before they start their design.

It is against engineering protocol to actually design and build something that was useful, serviceable and made sense.

Ive seen them in NH & IN. If they can figure them out in the US, we should be able to handle them.

I thought the intersection on Hwy near the Douro arena would be a prime candidate for 1. It currently is a 4 way stop. The MTO in their infinite wisdom is going to a complete set of lights. 

I wonder how that will work on ling weekends?

Archived