If my luck was any better !!!!!

soupkids

So the electric start on the 2010 quit a few weeks ago and with the cold I never got around to fixing it till last week.

Had previously ordered a rebuild kit for it hoping for the cheap fix, nada, bracket was broke and had to order from Polaris which included the bendix at 3x the price, FML.

Order the part Tuesday, came in today.

Go to put it back together tonight as the wife and I are heading to camp next week and I happen to look in the mag side exhaust port and the pistion looked funny, hmmm.

Wiggle around to get a better look and it and it ate the ring, another FML

Ok engine tear down now, not looking good for 2 sleds going to camp.

As most know, start at the top work your way down, all the head bolts came out but one, broke off flush wth the jug, guess which side, yup, pto side, another FML.

So in the end my parts list is as follows.

2 jugs, 2 pistions, gasket set, new head bolts(16), 2 jug nuts (lost under motor, still have a 10 mm socket under there).

Checked cvtech's web site, 299 for jugs, lots in stock.

So I'm thinking there is almost 10 k miles on the crank but everything looks good.

As it is the repair is going the cost me about $1k that i dont really have, but a $1k spare sled is pretty cheep, can't replace it for $1k.

Today was a kinda FML day.

I applaud you for continuing after discovering the ring issue. I wouldn't have kept my cool enough to tear it down, maybe after some crown:lol:

I'm a glass half full vs half empty kinda guy (ok well most of the time). So with that as a given, thank goodness the electric start failed so you were in doing the repair and noticed the piston about to let go and take the entire engine out. So your into 1k instead of engine being junk.

You sir won today. B)

7 hours ago, soupkids said:

2 jugs, 2 pistions, gasket set, new head bolts(16), 2 jug nuts (lost under motor, still have a 10 mm socket under there).

Add a flexi magnet stick to your list...

flexible-magnetic-stick.jpg.b2d563928c2679309d7b318343f29f74.jpg

So another 10mm socket bite the dust, what is it with 10mm sockets?

Sucks you had to tear down mid winter.

Call Todd Parsons in London.  He used to own the Polaris dealer down there and I know he still has a ton of brand new parts in his garage.   He is selling them all for dealer cost or less.

His cell is 519.281.0111

9 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Add a flexi magnet stick to your list...

flexible-magnetic-stick.jpg.b2d563928c2679309d7b318343f29f74.jpg

Have one, still can't find stuff that has entered the Polaris triangle.

7 hours ago, SRXChris said:

So another 10mm socket bite the dust, what is it with 10mm sockets?

Sucks you had to tear down mid winter.

Have to go buy some more, down too 1 shorty wrench and one deep socket.

Not my main sled, it's my 2010 600, engine rebuild #2 in 9500 miles.

2 hours ago, snapper said:

Soup- Be thankful you have the mechanical ability to repair this yourself. This would be a very expensive repair at a dealership.

Very true, just the timing sucks that's all.

It was used once in January but now I actually need it.

Was supposed to go riding with my oldest son sunday and then a trip to camp with the wife next week.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Have one, still can't find stuff that has entered the Polaris triangle.

Have to go buy some more, down too 1 shorty wrench and one deep socket.

Not my main sled, it's my 2010 600, engine rebuild #2 in 9500 miles.

Very true, just the timing sucks that's all.

It was used once in January but now I actually need it.

Was supposed to go riding with my oldest son sunday and then a trip to camp with the wife next week.

I had mine melt down last year, rebuilt it myself and it's been pretty good.  I hope to have another sled shortly and make this my back up.  I tried to buy a 11 Apex last Wednesday but i was a day late and it sold. 

Looks like the bad luck it spreading. Blew a fan belt yesterday on sons sled while doing some emergency grooming after our tractor had a failure. Parts came in today so might salvage his riding on Sunday.......or not.

Belt must have been broken longer than I thought, see some scuffing on the PTO side piston with my scope and found a broken stud on the mat side head. Wish I had looked closer before doing anything with it.

Still runs good, but for how long. I'm guessing not much.  

1 hour ago, SRXChris said:

I had mine melt down last year, rebuilt it myself and it's been pretty good.  I hope to have another sled shortly and make this my back up.  I tried to buy a 11 Apex last Wednesday but i was a day late and it sold. 

Chris, if you are looking for an Apex, I know where there is a beauty not being used. I cannot imagine finding one as nice as this 2009 unless it was a 2015 or newer. Even then, there is no way that any sled has had more TLC, tuning and set up than the one I am talking about. It looks new, but runs and handles better than new. It is not posted for sale anywhere, but due to a tragic accident two years ago, it must go to help save a family. Just today I convinced my friend that the sled has to go. It has had clutching improvements, suspension improvements and has a brand new, never used Ice Attack track on it. Other quality improvements that I cannot recall have been to this sled. I am not BSing that this sled and owner are top notch. We didn't get into what its worth or even how many km are on it, but it was always being cuddled and maintained. He also has a rebuilt Yamaha 2 stroke Phaser in similar condition, as well as other sleds and power toys that should go.

Anyone looking for an Apex should be interested in this one. I can be contacted to get more info.

Rick

3 hours ago, tricky said:

Chris, if you are looking for an Apex, I know where there is a beauty not being used. I cannot imagine finding one as nice as this 2009 unless it was a 2015 or newer. Even then, there is no way that any sled has had more TLC, tuning and set up than the one I am talking about. It looks new, but runs and handles better than new. It is not posted for sale anywhere, but due to a tragic accident two years ago, it must go to help save a family. Just today I convinced my friend that the sled has to go. It has had clutching improvements, suspension improvements and has a brand new, never used Ice Attack track on it. Other quality improvements that I cannot recall have been to this sled. I am not BSing that this sled and owner are top notch. We didn't get into what its worth or even how many km are on it, but it was always being cuddled and maintained. He also has a rebuilt Yamaha 2 stroke Phaser in similar condition, as well as other sleds and power toys that should go.

Anyone looking for an Apex should be interested in this one. I can be contacted to get more info.

Rick

What other power toys does he have ??

All pets have been ordered.

Just over $1k in parts.

8 hours ago, soupkids said:

What other power toys does he have ??

Hi Soup. Hope that, other than the unscheduled rebuild, things are going well.

The stable includes two watercraft (models unknown to me), a Yamaha Raptor 700, a Yamaha YZ 450, two Skidoos and three Yamaha sleds. Wife says they all must go, but he has only agreed to sell one or two Yamaha sleds, both of which are gems.

When I was in to order my parts yesterday my dealer is going to loan me his personal demo for Wed to Fri to go to camp.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

When I was in to order my parts yesterday my dealer is going to loan me his personal demo for Wed to Fri to go to camp.

That's awesome.  Glad they are helping you out.  You deserve it.  Enjoy

On 2/2/2019 at 5:32 PM, SRXChris said:

I dropped you a PM

19 hours ago, soupkids said:

I would be giving that guy all my business! Dealer worth keeping forsure!

Finally some good news.

My dealer managed to remove the broken head bolt.

Just saved 299 + tax.

And my "loaner" Is a 2019 assault 800, 0 miles on the clock.

Blackout edition.

Pics tomorrow.

Archived