Try Our Trails February 2nd and 3rd!

andreyboater

Thanks for your efforts. I was doing a bit of brushing last Sun' on E107. Got a couple of thumbs up from the 5 riders that passed by.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Big Pete said:

I hear and understand all the negativity about the free weekend. Hey, I am a permit buyer and volunteer too.  But what I have not seen or heard are any realistic ideas that will help attract and grow the buying permit base.  Without new permit buyers coming in we are doomed to a slow painful death..

so so instead of the negativity, how about some ideas that could be presented as growth alternatives for our sport. Maybe somebody would take a moment to listen.

I am sorry, but nothing the OFSC does will grow the sport. Far too many external factors. Lets pass all marketing over to the manus, you know the billion dollar corporations that profit from the trail systems volunteers build. The fact is, economics and weather are going to deplete our core buyers as our tax obligations grow, prices rice and wages stagnate, as the weather becomes less and less conducive to ride from home opportunities, the demographic that can afford to and wants to snowmobile shrinks. That is not to say we are doomed. However we need to be realistic as to the true cost of a permit, and STOP selling it at a massive discount as we desperately try to entice the poorer demo to join in. 275 bucks is the min it should cost, and yes, some trails may have to close. But in the end, those that are truly into will buy 15-20k machines, pay 600 for insurance, and support groomed trails. The real truth is, this sport is not going to grow. Budget and sell permits at the price to reflect this, crack down hard on freeloading thieves, and we may see 50k real interested sledders hold the line in the years to come. Not one dime of permit money should be spent on anything but building and grooming trails. Every single marketing gimmick has failed to grow the base...what that says is that there is no solution, because no way millions in marketing and a free try out the trails would fail otherwise, and it has. it is not that the efforts were wrong, it is simply that this sport cost a lot of money, dedication and time, things most people simply do not have.

many people on the trails seem to be getting up there in age as well, so retirement from the sport is becoming a thought for some.

29 minutes ago, Running Wild said:

Here's a comparison . It's like wanting to get more people into flying. Sounds like fun  but most people can't afford it .

RW

..... and us old bastages can't pass a medical to get the pilot's licence anyway.

17 hours ago, Crow said:

Well from this volunteers position, here's what the free weekend has cost me.

With the snowfall this week extra grooming was required, while being passed by sleds not displaying a pass. While doing said grooming, have a mechanical failure. Got lucky enough to only spend an hour getting back to the yard, but then the fun begins. 

Lose a day I had planned on actually riding to arrange getting local dealer to fix a 2 year old tractor, couldn't get any response.

Before it failed I was cleaning up drifts in the fields for the BIG weekend, and had a decent sized ribbon towards the center of the trail and couldn't get back to clean it up, so this morning used my classic permitted sled and homemade drag to go and make it safe enough and it suffered a broken fan belt and bearings. Go pick it up with the truck and order parts. Parts won't be in till Tuesday so son is without his sled.

Back to the tractor, got tired of waiting for dealer to return calls. Chipped off as much snow and ice as possible, put it in the shop and started the repairs myself.

With any luck the parts department of this dealer will be able to satisfy me with having parts so I can spend tomorrow putting it back together.

As far as getting youth involved, got lots of em riding around here, just none interested in the helping part.

But of a rant maybe, but the freebie weekend just puts more stress on an already tired and small group of volunteers. 

I didn't hear a rant. I just heard the lament of the over worked under appreciated volunteer. A tip of the helmet for all you do. I just stocked up on Tim's gift cards. A few years ago I started carrying the gift cards when I ride. If I come across a groomer on the trail I wave him down, say thanks and give him a card. It's a small gesture that costs next to nothing but seems to be appreciated.

7 hours ago, catinental couch said:

..... and us old bastages can't pass a medical to get the pilot's licence anyway.

My doctor would give me hell if he knew I was riding.

14 hours ago, zoso said:

I am sorry, but nothing the OFSC does will grow the sport. Far too many external factors. Lets pass all marketing over to the manus, you know the billion dollar corporations that profit from the trail systems volunteers build. The fact is, economics and weather are going to deplete our core buyers as our tax obligations grow, prices rice and wages stagnate, as the weather becomes less and less conducive to ride from home opportunities, the demographic that can afford to and wants to snowmobile shrinks. That is not to say we are doomed. However we need to be realistic as to the true cost of a permit, and STOP selling it at a massive discount as we desperately try to entice the poorer demo to join in. 275 bucks is the min it should cost, and yes, some trails may have to close. But in the end, those that are truly into will buy 15-20k machines, pay 600 for insurance, and support groomed trails. The real truth is, this sport is not going to grow. Budget and sell permits at the price to reflect this, crack down hard on freeloading thieves, and we may see 50k real interested sledders hold the line in the years to come. Not one dime of permit money should be spent on anything but building and grooming trails. Every single marketing gimmick has failed to grow the base...what that says is that there is no solution, because no way millions in marketing and a free try out the trails would fail otherwise, and it has. it is not that the efforts were wrong, it is simply that this sport cost a lot of money, dedication and time, things most people simply do not have.

Nobody in the south is going to spend 275$ on a permit. If that’ll ever be the price consider another permit buying rider gone and done. I’m sure there would be many others say F it and so long moto neige 

9 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Nobody in the south is going to spend 275$ on a permit. If that’ll ever be the price consider another permit buying rider gone and done. I’m sure there would be many others say F it and so long moto neige 

I would. $275.00 is a bargain even if you have to trailer. Pretty sure most of my riding friends would as well.

52 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My doctor would give me hell if he knew I was riding.

Mine gives me hell no matter what I do or don't. Doctors are too hard to find so I think I will just keep this one and put up with his crap. At least this one won't be retiring before I am dead and gone. I had 3 good doctors over the years. Two retired and one died. Maybe I smell funny or something. :wtf:

3 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I would. $275.00 is a bargain even if you have to trailer. Pretty sure most of my riding friends would as well.

So would I. Pics are of trail on back of my home farm. To be fair this trail is not listed as open. That doesn’t mean it’s not being ridden though.. I kind of have to question the point of it all. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a life long snowmobiler and supporter of the system. I also own property in the north that has an ofsc  trail cross it. The money, time, and effort to put a trail in place in the south that might get 3 days use, and I say might! When we have areas in the north that have adequate snowfall and temps for a full 90 day season or more, and can’t get decent equipment to work with. It seems to me that it has gone backwards. We have used our trailers in my family for 50 years to access our property and good snow conditions. That will not change for us. Trying to sell permits based on being able to ride from home in the deep southern portions of the province seems crazy to me. Sorry if I have offended anyone..

2D0F009B-2402-4001-B393-C1DBCF281B93.jpeg

681AE1D9-7578-48F4-B0C1-54CE1F6CCD5D.jpeg

38 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I spent more than that yesterday buying parts for my sled. You should pack it in now if 75 bucks is the breaking point, clearly you do not enjoy riding trails. I live in the south and have 1000km of local riding so far.How much did you pay for that 2015 sled you ride?

I bought two permits last year. My wife never used hers. I just alternated between sleds so they both got some use so in essence both permits got used. I bought two again this year. Hopefully my wife will be riding hers soon now that we have all this snow. If not essentially I have been paying $400 for me to ride. I'm disappointed she doesn't get out much but I'll still keep buying one for her and one for me.

Just in from a 50km local loop. More than 1/2 the sleds(at least 20) were freeloading. I have to wonder, who has a sled insured here in the south, where there is nowhere to run it and does not buy a pass. Me thinks these are the people tht trespass after dark on a regular basis.

$275 for a permit, is literally PENNYS in the grand scheme of things of riding for us....

Id still pay for it.. 

In fact, sometimes i would love to have a permit just for the NCDN.  Let us guys who want to, and do ride the NCDN, support them and all my money goes there..:cool:

2 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

$275 for a permit, is literally PENNYS in the grand scheme of things of riding for us....

Id still pay for it.. 

In fact, sometimes i would love to have a permit just for the NCDN.  Let us guys who want to, and do ride the NCDN, support them and all my money goes there..:cool:

I can tell you this, far more money goes to the NCDN trails than would if it was only supported by those that ride em. Southern districts and Sudbury pretty much support the entire north.

15 minutes ago, zoso said:

Just in from a 50km local loop. More than 1/2 the sleds(at least 20) were freeloading. I have to wonder, who has a sled insured here in the south, where there is nowhere to run it and does not buy a pass. Me thinks these are the people tht trespass after dark on a regular basis.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

8 minutes ago, zoso said:

I can tell you this, far more money goes to the NCDN trails than would if it was only supported by those that ride em. Southern districts and Sudbury pretty much support the entire north.

All 3 of our permits went North this year..8-)

did a bit of a ride on the destroy our trails for free weekend.  Trails are destroyed.  Gonna take a bit to get them back to half decent especially after the next two days weather

2 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

did a bit of a ride on the destroy our trails for free weekend.  Trails are destroyed.  Gonna take a bit to get them back to half decent especially after the next two days weather

Ours were crap too but I just slow it down and save gas.

29 minutes ago, zoso said:

I spent more than that yesterday buying parts for my sled. You should pack it in now if 75 bucks is the breaking point, clearly you do not enjoy riding trails. I live in the south and have 1000km of local riding so far.How much did you pay for that 2015 sled you ride?

Just not able to ride enough no matter how much I love it. I have other hobbies too that I’m able to do on a daily basis that’s not cheap either and it’s not heroin lol I bought the sled new. It’s nice to ride a newer reliable sled when I can. Updated all my riding gear over the last few years and extra goodies for the sled which is what it is, I know. We all know it’s mucho casho to ride these things outfitted nicely for an enjoyable day. Last year I put about 100’ on the sled to and from the garage. Year prior about 500 miles. I might have 1400 miles on this thing. Put more on my older 97’Zrs in one year previously. It starts to feel like a waste of money. I’d buy a new guitar amplifier every year for the yearly price of ownership of a sled. I get down about it until I can ride then It’s 80 miles of smiles and not rough rd. 

1 minute ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Just not able to ride enough no matter how much I love it. I have other hobbies too that I’m able to do on a daily basis that’s not cheap either and it’s not heroin lol I bought the sled new. It’s nice to ride a newer reliable sled when I can. Updated all my riding gear over the last few years and extra goodies for the sled which is what it is, I know. We all know it’s mucho casho to ride these things outfitted nicely for an enjoyable day. Last year I put about 100’ on the sled to and from the garage. Year prior about 500 miles. I might have 1400 miles on this thing. Put more on my older 97’Zrs in one year previously. It starts to feel like a waste of money. I’d buy a new guitar amplifier every year for the yearly price of ownership of a sled. I get down about it until I can ride then It’s 80 miles of smiles and not rough rd. 

What you are saying has nothing to do with the price of the permit. It is the money you have wrapped up in something you do not get to use as a total. Sounds to me like you have one foot out the door already.

20 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

All 3 of our permits went North this year..8-)

Unfortunately if what I've heard is correct, the club chosen on your permit application no longer gets a direct financial benefit by the permit purchaser choosing that particular club. Maybe someone with direct knowledge of how this works could chime in.

You wouldn't spend $275? Jeez. If you break it down the pass is the cheapest part. Say you only ride two weekends for 6 hours a day. That's just over $10 an hour, what can you do this day and age for $10? 

Archived