Kearney Ice Caves

atventure

Going to trailer to South River tomorrow, I have never ridden a trail South of Trout Creek so I'm pretty excited. My plan is to park near the brewery (for easy access after my ride :cheers:) downtown. 

I plan to run C105D East to the D trail, then D South to AL301, from there I'll go East to the ice caves, then back on D South to the town of Kearney for gas. From Kearney I'll take D West to 306, then North on 306/D123 back to South River, Id then complete the loop by taking C104D and NN400 back to my vehicle.

Is there anything I should know? Anything I should change about this route? I ride a 600 C-Tec2, should I bring an extra 10L of fuel?

I will be riding solo if anyone wants to join me..

Cheers

AL301 usually pretty rough.

Well this doesn't sound too appealing all of a sudden... shall I go north instead?

I think trails should be in good shape my concern is only AL301. So if you will see it's bumpy just don't go there.

I was there last Friday. The D trail in that area was good but yes the AL301 is rough. Go slow, it's not a great distance. I've got a bad knee and survived it, my buddy had a sore back however after riding that section.

I messaged the club on Facebook and was told that trail will be groomed tomorrow mid-day so my plan is to do the loop counter clockwise to hit that trail in the afternoon. Depending what time I get to South River in the AM I might do a small loop over the Eagle Lake way to get the day started.

16 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Can you show on map where these ice caves are?

Its at the end of AL301.

Screenshot_20190131-084535_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2fd286ef450ec5079245e583f506577a.jpg

Untitled.png

20160306_115347.jpg

16 hours ago, atventure said:

I messaged the club on Facebook and was told that trail will be groomed tomorrow mid-day so my plan is to do the loop counter clockwise to hit that trail in the afternoon. Depending what time I get to South River in the AM I might do a small loop over the Eagle Lake way to get the day started.

Hey my wife and I were just there this past Saturday. Part of the D south of the Sundridge turnoff was rough for some reason for maybe 10 miles but the rest was quite good. I'm sure its groomed by now. The AL301 trail was groomed as well but for the 100 miles we traveled for the day we must have seen 400 sleds. It was crazy busy down there but for the most part everyone was doing there best to stay safe. We more or less did the same route your doing except we went back up the D123 from Kearney. Have fun its great trails there but a little bit twisty so watch the corners.

Just got home! Did the loop exactly as I said counter clockwise. Trails were MINT. Quite possibly the best trails I have ever ridden... I really enjoyed the ride until i ROLLED my sled and broke the windshield/side panel. Hit my brake to hard on a 90 degree turn, track locked and sled went sideways - caught something on the trail and I got ejected and my sled rolled once, landed perfect on the side of the trail skis down. 

Plastic can easily be changed, bones more difficult. Play safe.

50 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Plastic can easily be changed, bones more difficult. Play safe.

Not a huge deal, the windshield can probably be fixed with super glue and it wont even be noticeable, and the side panel is completely unharmed except one of the 'hinge' tabs broke off. Panel still stays on fine, just vibrates a bit more. That and a couple scuff marks.. not bad at all. 

Like I said trails be absolutely mint and I can't wait to go back when its warmer out! 

I can already feel myself getting sore as a result of my little tumble.. Lol. I'm just happy my sled didn't land on top of me/run me over.

2 hours ago, atventure said:

Not a huge deal, the windshield can probably be fixed with super glue and it wont even be noticeable, and the side panel is completely unharmed except one of the 'hinge' tabs broke off. Panel still stays on fine, just vibrates a bit more. That and a couple scuff marks.. not bad at all. 

Like I said trails be absolutely mint and I can't wait to go back when its warmer out! 

I can already feel myself getting sore as a result of my little tumble.. Lol. I'm just happy my sled didn't land on top of me/run me over.

Glad your ok and nothing got too buggered up.

Glad to hear you feel OK. Tumbles aren't fun.

I'll have to get up there sometime. Been thru on TOP D, doing tours, but never done any 'scenic' riding thru that area.

Archived