Warning new skidoo handlebar muffs

cornbinder

The new handlebar muffs skidoo has made with the clear plastic windows can hold the throttle open  on  the newer sleds with  light throttle pull.      Muffs are just to stiff or small around throttle .   Don’t start sled  hand on kill switch  . I can’t be only one with issue

yes, I noticed if throttle set up for forefinger it's too tight and easily can be pushed by muffs.  

They say right on the doo site to not use the muffs if you want to turn the throttle around and use your finger.  I have them on my 900t and have had no issues with them as of yet in 1300 km's

2 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

They say right on the doo site to not use the muffs if you want to turn the throttle around and use your finger.  I have them on my 900t and have had no issues with them as of yet in 1300 km's

Fellow was gassing up an Apex In Rapide-Sept P.Q. when muff got caught in throttle-he got thrown off-sled hit a snow bank & ended up in a tree!

15 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

X 2...have used them for several years with no issues...but NOT with throttle flipped around.

x3 never a issue if installed proper. " do not forget the little push in to end of bar" keeps them from sagging into throttle.

48 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Fellow was gassing up an Apex In Rapide-Sept P.Q. when muff got caught in throttle-he got thrown off-sled hit a snow bank & ended up in a tree!

That would not be a fun ride

52 minutes ago, cookster said:

x3 never a issue if installed proper. " do not forget the little push in to end of bar" keeps them from sagging into throttle.

I use tube nuts in the end of the bar and bolt them in.  

1 hour ago, DOOBEE said:

I use tube nuts in the end of the bar and bolt them in.  

That's a great idea.  I've been wanting a more secure solution to attaching my cordura hand guards and/or the muffs.

Wear your tether cord guys.  Ever since my kids started riding with me have made it a habit.  Always fear the young lad grabbing the gas not knowing what he was doing.  Now I use the tether all the time.  Sled may move, but won't get far that way.   I love the doo muffs, but they do need to be installed correctly and absolutely won't use the finger throttle with them on.

3 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Be safe out there guys......   I just had the same experience with a stuck throttle (not wide open) hit a snow bank and I ended up against a tree. Still painful. I'm fine now and the sled is fine. No damage.

Always wear the tether on the 900T.  If you so much as look at the throttle the wrong way it will jump forward and catch you off guard in sport mode

almost all muffs will do this, if not installed correctly, and monitored. just the nature of the beast.

kind of the 10% rule... you need to be 10% smarter than what tool (or accessory) you are working with. :D Ski

I went out & installed my pair. W/ the throttle in the 'thumb' position I can't see how it would be a problem.

The muffs seem 'roomier' Choko gauntlets that I've used in the past. Hopefully I get out for a ride tomorrow to try them out. If anyone is interested in the Choko pieces PM me.

throttle side on thumb push "shouldnt be an issue" but, stranger things have happened with cable routing. still be careful.

now, another thing to think of... the brake side might hamper your access to the lever in a panic situation.and you could be left with no quick access to the lever to stop. i know these work to keep hands from frostbite but, in reality they are an accident waiting to happen, if you are not observant, and aware of what is going on at all times. be safe out there. Ski

11 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

throttle side on thumb push "shouldnt be an issue" but, stranger things have happened with cable routing. still be careful.

now, another thing to think of... the brake side might hamper your access to the lever in a panic situation.and you could be left with no quick access to the lever to stop. i know these work to keep hands from frostbite but, in reality they are an accident waiting to happen, if you are not observant, and aware of what is going on at all times. be safe out there. Ski

I don't buy that.  If I can actually feel my fingers vs having them half frooze I'd say I'm in a better position to ride safely.  I'm very happy with my BRP muffs.  I have never had an issue with them and not being able to reach the controls.  They are nice and rigid so you can easily get your hands in and out as needed.

15 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Not sure about the Doo version but with my Kimpex muffs you can grab the brake lever from the outside of the muff and operate the brake lever as necessary.

3 minutes ago, signfan said:

I don't buy that.  If I can actually feel my fingers vs having them half frooze I'd say I'm in a better position to ride safely.  I'm very happy with my BRP muffs.  I have never had an issue with them and not being able to reach the controls.  They are nice and rigid so you can easily get your hands in and out as needed.

X2 on keeping the digits cozy. If my fingers or any other body parts are cold when riding I find  concentration on my driving is affected.

Accidental kill switch hit was my issue. Hit a small drift on a lake and motor died - didn’t know what happened but was the muffs that must have pulled down. Be careful. 

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

Wanna know a bigger issue ?  The friggin' billboard-sized paperwork that's sewn into the things .... I installed mine and took 'em right back off to cut out those stupid "new material only" paperwork things.  First attempt at grabbing the brake lever resulted in me having those papers snagging up in my fingers and the lever, instant accident if I was actually in need of brakes.

I HIGHLY recommend that all of you do the same.

Other than that, I love mine.  And I might be installing a finger throttle accessory that a customer had on his Summit, bloody sharp looking piece.  Integrated warmer element, one quarter the size of the Doo reversible setup on the 4 strokes, no bigger than a brake lever.  Comes with a guard in front to protect from accidental touching of the lever.  Made by Munster.

20190118_151044.jpg

I have had a few rides with the window Doo Muffs on my viper this week. Really liking it, got used to them in ten minutes. Using thin gloves and so much easier to operate visors and switches etc. One thing I am keeping an eye on is any brake lever pressure by the muff. The yammies have a strange bracket for the powermadd protectors that makes for a tight fit.

Thanks for all the advise and comments. I have enjoyed using muffs on my sled for many years and now on my 900ACE I was not aware of any potential problem when the throttle is flipped to the other side. I will also be tethered for now on.

Jerry

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

I have had a few rides with the window Doo Muffs on my viper this week. Really liking it, got used to them in ten minutes. Using thin gloves and so much easier to operate visors and switches etc. One thing I am keeping an eye on is any brake lever pressure by the muff. The yammies have a strange bracket for the powermadd protectors that makes for a tight fit.

I think this should be one of the beneficial factors when using them, you do not need bulky gloves, a thinner pair making it easier to operate the throttle and brake levers plus less fatigue to your hands.

2 hours ago, signfan said:

IF you re-read my post it says: "but, in reality they are an accident waiting to happen, IF YOU ARE NOT OBSERVANT, AND AWARE OF WHAT IS GOING ON AT ALL TIMES" (with the contact areas of the muffs)

i didnt say i was against them, or that they were not a good idea in the cold...

i am simply stating, these items are around your throttle and brake levers, and some brands of these muffs can affect the levers, and or your ability to control them. been there, done that, saw it first hand. i am just warning those that may not be observant.   Ski

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Wanna know a bigger issue ?  The friggin' billboard-sized paperwork that's sewn into the things .... I installed mine and took 'em right back off to cut out those stupid "new material only" paperwork things.  First attempt at grabbing the brake lever resulted in me having those papers snagging up in my fingers and the lever, instant accident if I was actually in need of brakes.

I HIGHLY recommend that all of you do the same.

I had noticed that the tags were a 'tad large' & stiff, will be coming off tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, stoney said:

I think this should be one of the beneficial factors when using them, you do not need bulky gloves, a thinner pair making it easier to operate the throttle and brake levers plus less fatigue to your hands.

I hoping to get out tomorrow to test some gloves:

1530033601_Gloves4-CROPPED.thumb.JPG.2020187a3746fa72903ab95a3551fa81.JPG

Thin                                                          Medium                                                                     Thicker

Archived