Pembroke to Kearney in a day?

Gadgetman

Looking for a two day trip, trailer to Pembroke and then ride to Kearney on west side of the park, via the B straight west out of Pembroke, towards Spectacle Lake, and then north of Dorset type of thing. I realize it is part of the RAP, which generally lists 3 -5 days. Looks to be about 300KM, one way; so 300KM Cochrane / Hearst, no problem; 300KM in the Gaspe, not so easy. Anyone done Pembroke to Kearney ride in 1 day, and thoughts? Would return the next day. ( My Bro has a cottage in Kearney, so free night and food.)

Alternative is a shorter ride by driving  to ? , from Ottawa, just need a suggestion where to safely leave the truck and trailer?

Thanks

I would think you can do it. We do round trip loops w that kind of mileage in the same area. It’s a full day on those trails. Other option is cut up highway 60 and head for round lake area. Probably no further drive and cut some miles off ride. Only problem is you miss some of the best section of B trail. Either way. Good luck. 

we did the Rap tour in 2.5 days the very first time. The next time we did it , we took our time. We did Magnetawan to Pembroke in a day the first time,  it was  tough , a lot depends on the trail conditions. It took us just over 9 hours.  Good Luck. 

Its doable for sure.  If i was to do it i would plan on leaving and hitting the Mad Musher for lunch right in Whitney and fuel.  Then head over to Kearney via the lake trails which you will make up any slow time you may have encountered.

I've done Petawawa to Kearney in one day a couple of times, and I'm no speed demon, so I would consider Pembroke to Kearney doable in a day.  The trails up the valley from Petawawa to Mattawa are great and some of my favourites in Ontario. 

Riding in to Mattawa to get fuel/food adds at least an hour to the trip so if you're wanting to save that time you can gas up in Stonecliffe (right to the top!)  and then again at Chisholm Country market in Alderdale.   The country market does have limited hours (closes at 5pm on weekends) and also they may not have premium so check into that if you need to.  Nonetheless, fueling in those two places will make for the fastest trip.

Having said that, Mattawa has some good lunch spots and is a scenic town so you may want to visit.

D trail from Powassan down to Kearney has many tight, twisty sections so your trip will slow down in that area.  Trail D123 is an option into Kearney (the interactive map has the wrong route for D123 but the near north paper map has it correct)  and may also save you some time depending upon where the cottage is located in Kearney.  

Hope the above helps.

15 minutes ago, gobills said:

Its doable for sure.  If i was to do it i would plan on leaving and hitting the Mad Musher for lunch right in Whitney and fuel.  Then head over to Kearney via the lake trails which you will make up any slow time you may have encountered.

Would second what go bills said. Very doable. About 300 km is accurate, as long as you don't get turned around anywhere. Yes there is some tight trail involved at the west end, but the B trail is mostly fairly open to wide open rail trail. On our recently done RAP, we went from Mattawa Golf and Ski to Whitney in a eight hour day including lunch and fuel stops. But we took the long way east of Mattawa on the 190 and 130 series club trails, which made it a 390 km day. The following day it took 3 hours to cover 175 km from Whitney to Kearney. We don't stop a lot for water/smoke/snack/gas breaks.

The most direct route from the B trail near Fort Irwin to Kearney requires some navigation attention. Exiting the B trail at Trail 11 thru the private Haliburton Forest, across Guilford, Redstone and Kennisis lakes worked very well for us. Take 62,64,68, and 63 to D101B to D to Kearney. We didn't need fuel or food so we didn't stop at the Forest Base Camp or go into Dorset. If you might want to follow that route, I have more detail on the turns.

Enjoy the trip!

Snowowl, I think that Gadgetman is going the opposite direction from Pembroke.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood.  In my defence OP did say west side of park.  lol

Added some clarity to the route. Thank you for the input so far, all good information, and heading north and around the park, then south to Kearney now becomes another consideration.

First trip should be west and north, as I wish to do the route thru the park again, last time I did that trail was on my 1994 XLT!

Again, than you for the input.

4 hours ago, tricky said:

Would second what go bills said. Very doable. About 300 km is accurate, as long as you don't get turned around anywhere. Yes there is some tight trail involved at the west end, but the B trail is mostly fairly open to wide open rail trail. On our recently done RAP, we went from Mattawa Golf and Ski to Whitney in a eight hour day including lunch and fuel stops. But we took the long way east of Mattawa on the 190 and 130 series club trails, which made it a 390 km day. The following day it took 3 hours to cover 175 km from Whitney to Kearney. We don't stop a lot for water/smoke/snack/gas breaks.

The most direct route from the B trail near Fort Irwin to Kearney requires some navigation attention. Exiting the B trail at Trail 11 thru the private Haliburton Forest, across Guilford, Redstone and Kennisis lakes worked very well for us. Take 62,64,68, and 63 to D101B to D to Kearney. We didn't need fuel or food so we didn't stop at the Forest Base Camp or go into Dorset. If you might want to follow that route, I have more detail on the turns.

Enjoy the trip!

Snowowl, I think that Gadgetman is going the opposite direction from Pembroke.

Is there gas on Kawagama? That would get him away from the busier Kushog/St. Nora/Raven corridor.

We did Dwight to Deep River in a day running the north side of the park.  I'd say it's no issue to do the entire RAP in 2 days with a start in Pembroke and overnight in the Kearney area.

It's definitely doable with half decent conditions either way. Know your route and plan  your stops/fuel to avoid delays and leave early. I have done the two day RAP from Pembroke, stopping in Kearney, on my 2010 Venture GT going counter clockwise and would do it again anytime the conditions are great. Enjoy the scenery!

Archived