spanner wrench to adjust shock preload (Fox QSR)

Puggz

I'm reluctant to use the AC supplied spanners as they are very short and I'll likly slip and either hurt myself or damage something (or both!).

Any recommendations?

The lock nut will be so tight, you will need a hammer and punch to loosen it.

I use a hammer and an old blunt chisel to break loose the lock collar. Once loose, put on a pair of gloves and use supplied spanner to tighten/loosen collar. Lock the locking collar using the hammer and blunt chisel again.

Use mine many times.....do not recall, but I am sure I have slipped once or twice resulting in bloody knuckles, but part of the experience of working on your own stuff!

make sure to lift the sled in the air, taking the pressure off the spring you are adjusting, makes it ALOT EASIER, THAN FIGHTING A WEIGHTED SPRING. Ski

23 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

make sure to lift the sled in the air, taking the pressure off the spring you are adjusting, makes it ALOT EASIER, THAN FIGHTING A WEIGHTED SPRING. Ski

LOL...so true!

26 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Like ski said unload the spring first.

Then I just use a long punch to back the locking collar off.  Then sometimes a squirt of WD-40 and then grab the spring and both the nuts and turn by hand.  If it starts to get too hard, use the supplied wrench to finish up.

I seem to like the front springs compressed quite a bit on my newer Cats especially the 4-stroke.  

When I was helping nunz try to adjust his it looked like there was a clamping screw in the collar. 

motion pro actually makes a brass punch just for this (suspension shock spring adjustments). works well. Ski 

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0483-Shock-Spanner/dp/B004LV2VH4

2 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Thats why its a blunt metal chisel, so it won't gouge thinks. These collars are really tight from the factory, hyfax aint gonna cut it bro.

I’ve done it bro so yes it will 

Once it is broke loose from the factory "overtighten" then all is good! Wont need more that a brass punch or hyfax as Frosty suggests. Its the crazy tightness from the factory that causes the initial issue!

I ended up using a home-made  aluminum drift punch to loosen the locking ring and the supplied spanner (with mechanics gloves on).  Easy peasy.

Archived