Lake Couchiching Warning from OPP!!..

Turbo Doo

Just a little warning i seen from ODSC Facebook page. YOUR FOREWARNED..

Oh and to the 30 to 40 sleds we seen around Orillia today. You do realize trails are closed eh!. Other then the rail lines that JUST went limited.  And you folks wonder why?. 

:banghead:

Screenshot_20190126-215458_Samsung Internet.jpg

Apparently there is a large pressure crack on Georgian Bay near Penetang where you get off the ice for Jug City. It seems someone hit it over the weekend and has numerous broken bones as a result.

Yes my close friend hit it at low speed but enough to buck him off the sled. He was on his own at the time went over the handle bars and the sled then drove over him pinning him underneath it. The sled was still running and the exhaust burnt through his suit giving him first degree burns. Initially he could not get the sled off him as his arms were pinned down. Two sleds went by him but did not stop. He managed with sheer adrenalin to slide out from under the sled. He is very lucky he was not hurt more than he was.

FYI: His sled does not have the safety release shut down clip and it is a new Polaris. I have two new 2019 Polaris Indy sleds and they do not have this feature either. 

The sleds that past probably only seen an abandoned sled sitting there. The sound of their machines would drown out the sound of his sled one would think. I am sure if they noticed a body under the sled they would have stopped. 

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Apparently there is a large pressure crack on Georgian Bay near Penetang where you get off the ice for Jug City. It seems someone hit it over the weekend and has numerous broken bones as a result.

Luckily only a broken wrist, but he’s definitely out for the rest of the season unfortunately.

Not sure about the pressure crack, but all the snow orillia received the last day or so, most likely will insulate it. We will be out and about in the orillia area Saturday.  Probably going across couch, on the open stake line that is shown on the Itg. Most likely why the other routes are not open yet..

Was out on Couchiching last night.  Crossed one crack on the stake line with no problems.  Crossed another crack at the north end of big chief island with no problems at all as well

13 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Was out on Couchiching last night.  Crossed one crack on the stake line with no problems.  Crossed another crack at the north end of big chief island with no problems at all as well

I have found there is usually an easy way through any but the very worst cracks, those with open water and a steep rise of ice on the other side, even twenty or thirty feet of open water is a none issue if the exit is good. Night time  or poor visibility and not seeing them is the big danger

52 minutes ago, zoso said:

I have found there is usually an easy way through any but the very worst cracks, those with open water and a steep rise of ice on the other side, even twenty or thirty feet of open water is a none issue if the exit is good. Night time  or poor visibility and not seeing them is the big danger

That was last night.  The wind and blowing snow was pretty bad.  Stake line crossing was easy as it was marked.  We doubled back as the visibility wasn't good enough for our original plan.  Plan B worked out but still had to cross a crack with fingers crossed

7 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

That was last night.  The wind and blowing snow was pretty bad.  Stake line crossing was easy as it was marked.  We doubled back as the visibility wasn't good enough for our original plan.  Plan B worked out but still had to cross a crack with fingers crossed

A dirty crack is never a good thing.

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

A dirty crack is never a good thing.

:rotflmao:

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

Thanks. I will try and take some pics Saturday...

Archived