Yamaha 2t Alpha ?

dirtybeacher

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting concept with the mono skid, but really a 2 stroke! Why?

23 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Interesting concept with the mono skid, but really a 2 stroke! Why?

Because that is what the market dictates for us retards that like to waste money on 2s fun factor sleds. 

Still a fan of the PC chassis just needs some weight loss and now a 2s Yamaha may be in it hmmm.....

It’s still a Cat.

If it’s a Yamaha 2 stroke engine, that thing will rock!

2 hours ago, reevester said:

Because that is what the market dictates for us retards that like to waste money on 2s fun factor sleds. 

Still a fan of the PC chassis just needs some weight loss and now a 2s Yamaha may be in it hmmm.....

the new ascender platform (2018 and newer), is better than the procross/proclimb chassis by far. it doesnt look like much of a change but, it is. Ski

30 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

the new ascender platform (2018 and newer), is better than the procross/proclimb chassis by far. it doesnt look like much of a change but, it is. Ski

Good to know. But it isn't in the trail sleds I dont think. I think this is just a hoax by some dude with time and money. 

If it was a true Yamaha, the sled in the pic wouldn't have Arctic Cat panels on it. Fake news.

I highly doubt it’s a hoax.

7 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I highly doubt it’s a hoax.

Well they put KYB stickers on a fox shock so....

Sure does look like it eh, but I guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Is there any push by the Manufacturers to get Snow Bikes recognized by MTO as a Legal Motorized Snow Vehicle which would make them eligible for OFSC Trail Permits and use on OFSC trails?

The arctic cat sno bike is a MSV and can ride on trails.The msva states it must be built as a motorized snow vehicle at the factory, so conversions are not legal.

19 minutes ago, zoso said:

The arctic cat sno bike is a MSV and can ride on trails.The msva states it must be built as a motorized snow vehicle at the factory, so conversions are not legal.

The Cat never could get approval as a "Snowmobile" and thats one of the reasons why the project was canned.   

6 minutes ago, scottyr said:

The Cat never could get approval as a "Snowmobile" and thats one of the reasons why the project was canned.   

nope it is a msv, and if bought would be registered as such here in ontario. the project was canned because nobody wanted to buy it.

11 minutes ago, scottyr said:

"Funny, was just discussing this very thing on Saturday. It's manufactured to be operated on snow, it's registered as an MSV and you have a trail pass.  Good to go.  Ohhh...need your insurance card!!! "

The cop that posts on FS said this about the cat snow bike .

38 minutes ago, zoso said:

nope it is a msv, and if bought would be registered as such here in ontario. the project was canned because nobody wanted to buy it.

I am not going to argue back and forth but it is NOT approved as an MSV.   Cat couldnt figure out how to get the brake onto the left hand side of the bars and still have a manual clutch as per the MVSA regs.    Arctic Cat couldnt even sell them in the USA due to liability issues.  The 30 of them that actually were built all ended up in Canada.   

Yes.  I am sure that someone in Ontario got theirs licenced as a snowmobile but that means nothing.   I got my offroad competition dirt bike licenced with a street plate but that doesnt necessarily mean its legal.  

I guarantee that there is no Transport Canada approval sticker on the Cat snow bike.   I saw one at the sled show and made a point of looking for the TC stickers and there are none to be found. 

8 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am not going to argue back and forth but it is NOT approved as an MSV.   Cat couldnt figure out how to get the brake onto the left hand side of the bars and still have a manual clutch as per the MVSA regs.    Arctic Cat couldnt even sell them in the USA due to liability issues.  The 30 of them that actually were built all ended up in Canada.   

Yes.  I am sure that someone in Ontario got theirs licenced as a snowmobile but that means nothing.   I got my offroad competition dirt bike licenced with a street plate but that doesnt necessarily mean its legal.  

I guarantee that there is no Transport Canada approval sticker on the Cat snow bike.   I saw one at the sled show and made a point of looking for the TC stickers and there are none to be found. 

Well the opp save team members says it is, so if they say it is then it is. Just because you saw a proto type at a sled show that did not have the transport canada sticker on it, means nothing.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Does it have the specified Sticker as noted below?

HOW DOES THE MSVA DETERMINE THAT A VEHICLE MEETS THE DEFINITION OF A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

Section 21. (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV’s to display a National Safety Mark, that the Transport Canada and/or Snowmobile Safety Certification Committee (SSCC) sticker display on all vehicles sold as motorized snow vehicles in Canada.   

CAN I PURCHASE AN ONTARIO SNOWMOBILE TRAIL PERMIT FOR MY SNOW BIKE, ATV, SIDE BY SIDE, DIRT BIKE, ARGO OR SNY SIMILAR STOCK OR MODIFIED VEHICLE? 

The short answer is no, in accordance with the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act of Ontario (MSVA), only vehicles designed, manufactured and registered with the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) as “motorized snow vehicles” are eligible to apply for an Ontario Snowmobile Trail Permit. 

IF I APPLY FOR A SNOWMOBILE TRAIL PERMIT FOR A MACHINE WHICH WASN'T DESIGNED OR REGISTERED AS A MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE, WILL THE TRAIL PERMIT BE LEGAL? 

When applying to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) for a snowmobile trail permit, the applicant certifies that “I understand that the trail permit for which I am applying is valid only for the motorized snow vehicle identified in this application and is valid only where the sticker (permit) issued under this application is permanently affixed in the required position on that motorized snow vehicle. I certify that the information contained in this application is true and acknowledge and accept the responsibilities imposed by law”. If the permit application is incomplete or inaccurate, not only would the trail permit be void, the applicant may be exposed to liability. 

HOW DOES THE MSVA DEFINE A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

The MSVA states that a  “motorized snow vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow; (“motoneige”).

HOW DOES THE MSVA DETERMINE THAT A VEHICLE MEETS THE DEFINITION OF A "MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLE"?

Section 21. (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV’s to display a National Safety Mark, that the Transport Canada and/or Snowmobile Safety Certification Committee (SSCC) sticker display on all vehicles sold as motorized snow vehicles in Canada.   

Vehicle shall bear National Safety Mark

21. (1) No person who deals in motorized snow vehicles or cutters designed to be drawn by motorized snow vehicles shall sell or offer to sell a new motorized snow vehicle or cutter manufactured after the date this section comes into force that does not conform to the standards required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or that does not bear the National Safety Mark referred to therein. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 21 (1).

Section 1201 of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act (federal legislation) requires each snowmobile sold in Canada to comply with the requirements developed by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee, Inc. (SSCC) a North American non-profit association that has developed safety standards for the manufacture and certification of snowmobiles.

1201. (1) Every snowmobile shall be constructed so that it con-forms to the requirements set out in the following standards:

(a) the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, published by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee,

To determine if a vehicle is eligible to be classified as a snowmobile, it must meet the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11 as referenced in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety legislation, These certification standards include a variety of snowmobile-related safety equipment which must be installed on a new vehicle ranging from emergency kill switches to vehicle weight and minimum stopping distances. A vehicle certified as a Motorized Snow Vehicle for the purpose of registration with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario must display the certification mark displayed on page 27 of the SSCC/11 certification document. 

The following outlines the process the Ministry follows to determine if a vehicle can be legally registered as a Motorized Snow Vehicle (MSV).

Step 1:  As a reference, Section 21 (1) of the MSVA includes a requirement for new vehicles sold as MSV's to display a National Safety Mark. "New" is relevant in that once a machine is initially registered with the Ministry, it retains the registration for the life of the vehicle.

21. (1) No person who deals in motorized snow vehicles or cutters designed to be drawn by motorized snow vehicles shall sell or offer to sell a new motorized snow vehicle or cutter manufactured after the date this section comes into force that does not conform to the standards required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or that does not bear the National Safety Mark referred to therein. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 21(1).

Step 2: Section 1201 of the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), which should not be confused with the MSVA of Ontario, requires each snowmobile sold in Canada to comply with the requirements developed by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee, Inc.(SSCC) a North American non-profit association that has developed safety standards for the manufacture and certification of snowmobiles.

1201. (1) Every snowmobile shall be constructed so that it conforms to the requirements set out in the following standards: (a) the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11, published by the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee.

Step 3:  To determine eligibility, you must refer to the Safety Standards for Snowmobile Product Certification, SSCC/11 referenced in the federal legislation which details the various safety equipment which must be installed on a new vehicle in order for it to obtain certification which is valid for the life of the vehicle. The 29 page regulations include requirements from emergency kill switches to minimum stopping distances. A vehicle certified as a Motorized Snow Vehicle for the purpose of registration with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario must display the certification mark displayed on page 27 of the document.

Dirt bikes, ATVs, side by sides or other vehicles do not meet the requirement in SSCC/11 and do not display the certification mark, the MSVA does not consider the vehicles as MSVs.

5 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Does it have the specified Sticker as noted below?

Yes it does the one that I saw at the peterborough show did for sure 

Archived