Cleaning Plastic

revrnd

When I noticed exhaust stain on the RH side yellow plastic on the Buzzard,  I thought, "Not again!" (the yellow bellypan on my '98 MXZ was a major PITA). I was able to reduce the stain on the pebbled surface, not remove it completely.

I'm not sure what cleaner I was using then, but was looking. Checking elsewhere I saw a lot of sledders were using Spray Nine. I have had an American cleaner (never seen it in Canada) in the house on the recommendation of a family member.

84575587_LAsAwesomeCleaner.jpeg.4e64b90dafedcd1c198f107c6420d698.jpeg

I tried it today & it worked really well. Not sure how the other commonly available cleaners would do.

Are there any other cleaners out there that are good for removing troublesome exhaust stains.

Something that may work in our favour is that the plastic used is smooth, not pebbled.

I use brake cleaner for mine, the little corner piece by the footwell is light grey and gets discolored easily. Brake cleaner works great on that  piece. 

Now to find something that works on th sunburst yellow side panels which are pebbled texture .... 

14 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I use brake cleaner for mine, the little corner piece by the footwell is light grey and gets discolored easily. Brake cleaner works great on that  piece. 

Now to find something that works on th sunburst yellow side panels which are pebbled texture .... 

Attached is what you need Denis. The International truck dealer may have it. The stuff is amazing for many many jobs. Cleans aluminum, takes light rust off, white tire lettering and exhaust stains. Won't hurt the plastic panel at least not on a Yammie.

MultiKleen.jpg

When i had  my Yellow 2001 Mxz 800 i used "super clean". It was origanlly made by Castrol .Then it changed hands i think but still works a good. I could just spray it on the gold exhaust stain and it would start to run after a few seconds. Used a cheap scrub brush from the dollar store and it would clean right up. Rinse with warm water. I also used it on the tunnel but it would etch the aluminum if you left it on too long. I would pour water on the tunnel first then use the super clean and my brush. Then rinse off right away and by doing it this way there would be no etching. Readily available at wally world or ctc. And Revrnd there would be no stain left.

th.jpg

la's awesome cleaner, is truly awesome. in conjunction with a magic eraser, they work great together. Ski 

4 hours ago, snowchopper said:

When i had  my Yellow 2001 Mxz 800 i used "super clean". It was origanlly made by Castrol .Then it changed hands i think but still works a good. I could just spray it on the gold exhaust stain and it would start to run after a few seconds. Used a cheap scrub brush from the dollar store and it would clean right up. Rinse with warm water. I also used it on the tunnel but it would etch the aluminum if you left it on too long. I would pour water on the tunnel first then use the super clean and my brush. Then rinse off right away and by doing it this way there would be no etching. Readily available at wally world or ctc. And Revrnd there would be no stain left.

th.jpg

I have a gallon or 2 of it that I bought years ago in the States w/ some NHRA promotion when Castrol made it. I've never used it much as the alum' issue concerned me. I know what I used would make the stain run. Used a scrub brush too.

8 hours ago, blackjack1 said:

the answer is ....MR.CLEAN...magic eraser...awesome

Works well cleaning the inside of vehicle windshields as well....in actual fact the stuff on the inner glass is the result of off gassing of plastic parts in your car / truck and the magic eraser is recommended as scrubbing the stuff cleanly from glass. (unless you are smoking in your vehicle)

Gotta like the 'oily face guy' on the multi Kleen flow bottle above though...make a good avatar for somebody....

I’ve always used Sledbrite products and have been happy with there performance. 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, SalemRene said:

image.jpg

Thanks for the tip... where can you find them?

1 hour ago, irREVerent said:

Thanks for the tip... where can you find them?

I always order them online at Swabbies. http://www.swabbies.ca/

9 hours ago, SalemRene said:

17 hours ago, revrnd said:

I have a gallon or 2 of it that I bought years ago in the States w/ some NHRA promotion when Castrol made it. I've never used it much as the alum' issue concerned me. I know what I used would make the stain run. Used a scrub brush too.

FYI Do NOT use Super Clean on surfaces that you want to remain as new. Do Not use on windshields even glass. It WILL etch windshields to the point that you can see better through a dirty windshield than you can with washers and wipers operating. Especially at night.

i use spray nine on all my textured sunbust yellow panels with a stiff brush, works great so far 

cheers 

I have found anything that is Citrus based usually works as a great cleaner/degreaser. I purchased some years ago and diluted the heck out of it and it still worked great.

If you Google it you will also see you can make your own if you're so inclined? I have also heard numerous times, "Totally awesome is also an excellent cleaner and if I am not mistaken, can be purchased at Home Depot? Has anyone verified that? 

HPIM1000 (Large).JPG

HPIM0386 (Large).JPG

39 minutes ago, Irv said:

I have found anything that is Citrus based usually works as a great cleaner/degreaser. I purchased some years ago and diluted the heck out of it and it still worked great.

If you Google it you will also see you can make your own if you're so inclined? I have also heard numerous times, "Totally awesome is also an excellent cleaner and if I am not mistaken, can be purchased at Home Depot? Has anyone verified that? 

I hadn't heard that. I get mine in the States @ Family Dollar.

totally awesome can be purchaced at Dollar Tree stores , I use it to clean boat etc.

32 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I hadn't heard that. I get mine in the States @ Family Dollar.

I haven't verified it, Revrnd, just what I heard.

20 minutes ago, tireless said:

totally awesome can be purchaced at Dollar Tree stores , I use it to clean boat etc.

Just checked and seen 2 within a very short distance to me. 

Thanks. :cheers:

Archived