D trail south of Wawa

tricky

Does anyone know (ski might) what is keeping the D trail south of Wawa "unavailable"? Same with the small section of C101D east of Chapleau? Wanting to do that area and the Northern Corridor in a loop soon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tricky said:

Does anyone know (ski might) what is keeping the D trail south of Wawa "unavailable"? Same with the small section of C101D east of Chapleau? Wanting to do that area and the Northern Corridor in a loop soon.

I just spoke with Sean at Halfway Haven and they should be open in a couple of days, He has had water issues hence the delay in opening. Also with Tony at the Foleyet club and they will be opening up the connection within a few days as well. We are starting our Northern ride in a couple of weeks and have been watching closely as well. Hope this information helps.

4 hours ago, Nunz said:

I just spoke with Sean at Halfway Haven and they should be open in a couple of days, He has had water issues hence the delay in opening. Also with Tony at the Foleyet club and they will be opening up the connection within a few days as well. We are starting our Northern ride in a couple of weeks and have been watching closely as well. Hope this information helps.

Thanks Nunz. I see that the D trail just turned to "yellow" sometime midday. With your Foleyet information, now its time to schedule our trip.

I trust you are liking that new sled. Differences from the 800????

48 minutes ago, tricky said:

Thanks Nunz. I see that the D trail just turned to "yellow" sometime midday. With your Foleyet information, now its time to schedule our trip.

Our trip was booked a couple of months ago, We leave Timmins on the 10th, I sure am, Love the new Indy 850, a lot more low and mid range power, like any of the newer sleds it has taken some time to get it set up for how I like to ride it. No Complaints yet or issues with the 850 at all. Hope to see out there one of these days on the trails.

Our trip on the big loop is likely late February. Hope to see you somewhere this winter, Nunz.

Thanks for the comments on your new ride. Its interesting to hear how people are getting on with their new sleds, no matter what make and model. Except from Yamaha, there is sooo much choice in new models, track lengths and powertrains - fascinating to a simpleton like me.

8 hours ago, tricky said:

Hello Tricky I'm also hoping the loop opens soon up reel soon planning leaving from Dubreuilville on Monday 

as Nunz stated, there are issues at halfway haven right now and they are not open.

although i saw wawa has posted the trail yellow due to the soo connecting to halfway... i think this is a bad idea,  the trail should be listed red with a disclaimer no fuel on trail for approx 165 miles (90 from searchmont to halfway, if that is where you start with a full tank, no fuel in searchmont, and approx 75 miles from halfway to wawa). it is approx 60 miles to chapleau from halfway... if you dont have gas at halfway, do the math, it is a loooooong way without fuel and without emergency assistance. 

once people see it is yellow, they ASSUME halfway is open. i have saw people on FB say, "if the trail is yellow, halfway must be open". this is the furthest from the truth, and this is not the thing to guess at, or people can be left stranded in the cold in the bush, and this weekends temps, is nothing to be playing with.

call ahead, know before you go. be safe, and warm out there. Ski

Thanks ski. That is good advice. Our plans are not for a few weeks and will plan accordingly at the time. Its a more serious issue for those chomping at the bit to run Searchmont to Wawa, or Elliot Lake to Wawa.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, skidooboy said:

as Nunz stated, there are issues at halfway haven right now and they are not open.

although i saw wawa has posted the trail yellow due to the soo connecting to halfway... i think this is a bad idea,  the trail should be listed red with a disclaimer no fuel on trail for approx 165 miles (90 from searchmont to halfway, if that is where you start with a full tank, no fuel in searchmont, and approx 75 miles from halfway to wawa). it is approx 60 miles to chapleau from halfway... if you dont have gas at halfway, do the math, it is a loooooong way without fuel and without emergency assistance. 

once people see it is yellow, they ASSUME halfway is open. i have saw people on FB say, "if the trail is yellow, halfway must be open". this is the furthest from the truth, and this is not the thing to guess at, or people can be left stranded in the cold in the bush, and this weekends temps, is nothing to be playing with.

call ahead, know before you go. be safe, and warm out there. Ski

There has been additional snows and thus if the clubs don't groom on a regular basis remember your sled will use additional fuel depending on the amount of snow laying unpacked on the trail.  Trails can also become hard to follow in certain open areas.  Hoping the clubs keep these trails groomed if they keep them listed as open.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:10 PM, tricky said:

How do you like your Buzzard. I hadn't noticed that you had a '17. Any upgrades since you bought it? 

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

How do you like your Buzzard. I hadn't noticed that you had a '17. Any upgrades since you bought it? 

I love my "girls" machine as a lot of my friends refer to it. They bought 900 ACE machines for their wives and daughters!!!

All I have done is replace the TS skis with the plain Pilots (5.7, I guess), installed the next taller windshield (I don't worry about it folding over at 100 MPH), and mount the 20L Linq tailbag and 13L Linq saddlebags. Comfort and convenience are important. I have worked with the set-up until I happy with the overall handling. I use it almost exclusively to tour now. Its fuel range and easy, flexible throttle will not allow me to have any other motor. I do miss the extra length of my old 137 Renegade. I used to be a one percenter and do 600 -700 km days, but for what we do now, I can't imagine a much better machine for me.

I really like mine too! it replaced a '07 REV MXZ 600SDI. Even w/ the drop in HP, I haven't noticed any less fun riding, especially up north.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I really like mine too! it replaced a '07 REV MXZ 600SDI. Even w/ the drop in HP, I haven't noticed any less fun riding, especially up north.

And that's why we do this isn't it?

On 1/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, 1049 said:

Hello Tricky I'm also hoping the loop opens soon up reel soon planning leaving from Dubreuilville on Monday 

Happy New Year 1049. I missed your post until this evening. Assuming you are in Dub now. Hope you have a good trip and don't freeze later this week. Are you with the missus or is this a boys' trip? I think a lot of us would like to hear what you find in your travels this week. Sorry I won't be meeting you in Hurst this time. Have a safe trip.

Hey Tricky just me and my wife unfortunately our trip is over before it got started it was -46 this morning so we stayed in Dubreuilville and went for a ride this afternoon the roll over valve froze and pushed the seal out of the oil tank so 20 hours in the truck and 1 on the sled . Maybe next week will be better. Lol

5 hours ago, 1049 said:

Hey Tricky just me and my wife unfortunately our trip is over before it got started it was -46 this morning so we stayed in Dubreuilville and went for a ride this afternoon the roll over valve froze and pushed the seal out of the oil tank so 20 hours in the truck and 1 on the sled . Maybe next week will be better. Lol

I have not bypassed the valve yet on mine, but have heard about 4 now that has blown the seal because of the valve.   You reminded me that I should probably do my bypass next week.   hope for better luck for you...that is a drag

28 minutes ago, snowman said:

I have not bypassed the valve yet on mine, but have heard about 4 now that has blown the seal because of the valve.   You reminded me that I should probably do my bypass next week.   hope for better luck for you...that is a drag

I’m going to do th the bypass as well

Sorry to hear of your mechanical woe 1049. Get out again soon as you can. Maybe something will open up close to home this week!

54 minutes ago, tricky said:

Sorry to hear of your mechanical woe 1049. Get out again soon as you can. Maybe something will open up close to home this week!

Ya for sure planning on Saturday and back north next week going to Gaspie and Newbrunswick in three weeks

two stroke wouldnt have that kind of problem. :D just sayin... pokes with bigger stick. :D 

sorry for you issues mark. hope to see you guys this winter. Ski

What does the valve do if you can bypass it?

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

What does the valve do if you can bypass it?

The valve stops it from pumping oil on the ground if you roll it over still running the vipers did not have the valve just have to pick the least of the evils 

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

two stroke wouldnt have that kind of problem. :D just sayin... pokes with bigger stick. :D 

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

The two stroke thing was definitely discussed on the 11 hour ride home good thing there's no dealers in Dubreuilville or the sidewinder mite have caught fire lol We will be in Dubreuilville March 14 15 16 th hope to see you .

we will be there the 9-18th. loving our new ctec2 8000 xf high country's.... Just sayin' :D Ski

20 hours ago, 1049 said:

Archived