Training Ground ideas

Puggz

My wife is interested in getting into the sport so I'm planning to take her out this weekend so she can spend some time on my sled.  She's never driven anything other than a car so I was hoping to find a lake crossing for her to practice on because there's nothing to really run into and they are typically pretty smooth.

With that said, the nearest green lake crossing is at least a 2hr drive from me (out of Bowmanville) so I'm looking for other ideas such as a wide rail trail, etc etc.

Thoughts??

TIA~!

P.

I  hired someone to teach ms. slomo how to drive a standard transmission (it was in the wedding vows) - best $80 I ever spent. I think mrs. nunz was talking about a women's learning course somewhere? This is going back 3 years or so, so can't remember all the details.

Has anyone been running around @ the boat launch in Port Perry? 

Puggz, there are lots of sled tracks on Head Lake in Haliburton.  The lake has some snow on it but, like all ice, it can bite you if you lose traction at the wrong moment.  Good luck getting her into the sport.

7 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Puggz, there are lots of sled tracks on Head Lake in Haliburton.  The lake has some snow on it but, like all ice, it can bite you if you lose traction at the wrong moment.  Good luck getting her into the sport.

Ok, 90 mins. Much better.  TY.

We should do another trip this year eh?

10 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Absolutely!!!

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

And if she gains confidence you have the railbed right there...

my advice, if she has never been on anything with hand brakesbefore,... ie: motorcycle, atv, sled, ect... THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO TEACH HER, AND TRAIN HER BEFORE YOU GO TO THE TRAIL SYSTEM IS... LEFT HAND IS YOUR BRAKES!!!  take her to a big field, a safe body of water with safe ice. and just drill her with starting and stopping, practicing EMERGENCY BRAKING.

what i have saw is people that are car only people, panic when it is brake time, and their muscle memory makes them use their braking foot (feet), no hands... and BAM,  a tree, car, sled, animal, ect... 

then it is keep right, travel in a safe distance and speed behind the other sleds, and HAVE FUN!

good luck and congrats on the new riding partner. Ski

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

X2

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

my advice, if she has never been on anything with hand brakesbefore,... ie: motorcycle, atv, sled, ect... THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO TEACH HER, AND TRAIN HER BEFORE YOU GO TO THE TRAIL SYSTEM IS... LEFT HAND IS YOUR BRAKES!!!  take her to a big field, a safe body of water with safe ice. and just drill her with starting and stopping, practicing EMERGENCY BRAKING.

what i have saw is people that are car only people, panic when it is brake time, and their muscle memory makes them use their braking foot (feet), no hands... and BAM,  a tree, car, sled, animal, ect... 

then it is keep right, travel in a safe distance and speed behind the other sleds, and HAVE FUN!

good luck and congrats on the new riding partner. Ski

Good point, thank you!  She has lots of handbrake experience, she is an avid mountain biker. Could have raced if she had the desire.  With that being said, a sled behaves like a sled and she has to learn how it feels and to start developing that muscle memory.

If she likes it, i'll probably get her into an Indy EVO for Christmas next year.  She's 5'1, 115lbs so that should be perfect.

Gull Lake in Gravenhurst might meet your needs.

Good luck to her! My learning experiences are always part of my Driver Training classes. When they find out that I was almost 40 before I rode a sled for the first time they think it's pretty funny. 

10 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

Good luck to her! My learning experiences are always part of my Driver Training classes. When they find out that I was almost 40 before I rode a sled for the first time they think it's pretty funny. 

And that is precisely why I am so opposed to the online course.  The computer doesn't have any anecdotal experience to share.

If that's Durham Ont, the rail line from Markdale to Owen Sound opened with much more to follow. Lots of snow happening right now.

Archived