LinsaY to Haliburton today or tomorrow

Yamaha Fan

Wow. Sounds like you had a good scare. Glad you are alright.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Ty

Glad to hear that you are OK.  Vector's aren't supposed to do that kind of stuff.  Bring it to your dealer and have him give it a good scolding :-)

I certainly hope your back heals and your leg doesn't?  Take care.

Hey sj... haven't heard from you in awhile. I'm fine thankfully..... no bruises or swelling. Poor tree :D it must be wondering what happened to it

Strangely.... I'm still feeling my outer leg. It's a good feeliing.

2 hours ago, 528rick said:

Glad to here your in fairly good shape after bailing on a runaway sled,Let us know what the dealer says.Im curious to know if you had a tether switch connected to you

there are no tether strings on yamaha, but a kill switch at the top of the handle bar. Everything happened too fast. Took about 2 secs. and for most of it, i was airborne. Must be because I'm a pilot :grin:

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

I see your days as an airline pilot are not behind you. Who knew you needed a parachute while sledding?

Hey Blake...... haha. I had a really good landing. One I walked away from.

56 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Wow. Sounds like you had a good scare. Glad you are alright.

I'm good today. Better than I thought I would. Can feel my left leg now ....

Do you lubricate your throttle cable?

Do any work on machine lately that would have cause throttle cable routing to be changed at all?

Scary stuff, need to find route cause!

6 minutes ago, stoney said:

Do you lubricate your throttle cable?

Do any work on machine lately that would have cause throttle cable routing to be changed at all?

Scary stuff, need to find route cause!

Did nothing.  Had oil change done that's it. I'll take a look around tomorrow. 

A point to know... oil change from dealer.... I paid for Yamalube with filter. That is synthetic oil and filter.  I believe the put regular oil. It's kinda dark. I'm taking it to another yamaha dealer in  Bobcaygeon. 

7 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

A point to know... oil change from dealer.... I paid for Yamalube with filter. That is synthetic oil and filter.  I believe the put regular oil. It's kinda dark. I'm taking it to another yamaha dealer in  Bobcaygeon. 

Run sled on stand and turn your handle bars all the way in both direction a few times....than watch rpms. They shouldn't change, if they do, throttle cable route has been compromised.

Plus with the cold, any moisture in the throttle cable sheathing will freeze. 

Just a couple of things to look at.

Good luck. 

Ty You may also want to check if the TORS (throttle override system) is working.  The procedure is detailed in your owner's manual, IIRC.  If you don't have it, let me know and I can email a PDF.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Ty You may also want to check if the TORS (throttle override system) is working.  The procedure is detailed in your owner's manual, IIRC.  If you don't have it, let me know and I can email a PDF.

I do have the manual.  I'll be going over the snowmobile with a fine tooth comb tomorrow.  The garage is being heated now.

19 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Thanks WD. I'm fine for now. I'll check my back in the morning for any bruising or swelling.  My left leg where the radiation grains are implanted is burning. I haven't had feeling in the upper leg for two years now. I touch it and I can feel my leg now. Strange. No pain though.

If I can keep feeling my leg in two weeks time without complications.... hey!

good to hear ty,hope you heal up quick & get some more rides in...personally I've never been a Yamaha fan or trusted them either,this should push you over to Polaris I would imagine ?     did you see what I did there...huh...huh

39 minutes ago, white dragon said:

good to hear ty,hope you heal up quick & get some more rides in...personally I've never been a Yamaha fan or trusted them either,this should push you over to Polaris I would imagine ?     did you see what I did there...huh...huh

Haha.... you're funny. Then I'll be Poo Fan :rolleyes:

No bruises or swelling. Guess I'm tougher than I thought I am or just plain lucky. If we have 9 lives... then I have 7 left.

13 hours ago, white dragon said:

Good idea, then you can get a new sled every year when the engine blows up.  Oh, and you'll smell like Poo after your ride :lmao:

Very sorry to hear about your incident. I had a throttle issue on the yamacat -  In my case...simply shutoff on steep decline

WildBill found a kink in the throttle cable set-up. 

Well done on the exit strategy. So many things could've gone wrong. Pilot training kicked in...

Be safe.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Very sorry to hear about your incident. I had a throttle issue on the yamacat -  In my case...simply shutoff on steep decline

WildBill found a kink in the throttle cable set-up. 

Well done on the exit strategy. So many things could've gone wrong. Pilot training kicked in...

Be safe.

Hi Canuck .... haven't seen you in years.  I worked on the snowmobile today with a few pointers from Sledjunk....... This was all that I can do.....

Relays.....  they were corroded and had hardened dielectric grease that I put on years ago. Helps with cold morning starts in Cochrane area. Cleaned them and replaced with fresh dielectric grease.

Oil Tank.....   checked the dip stick and the electric connector at the top.  Replaced and double checked.

Error code 85 .... Checked the oil pressure switch behind the battery. That was not seated properly. Cleaned and reseat.

Checked the TORS as per manual and moved the steering side to side..... idle was perfect.

Oiled the throttle cable at the top as best as I can.

Snowmobile seems to be working fine .....  knock wood.

Still taking it in to yamaha in Bobcaygeon on monday if I can get an appointment for another oil change and check up.  This would be my first time taking the sled in bobcaygeon yamaha.

The dealer I bought the sled from always serviced it...... bastnards (I do know to spell) charge me for Yamalube and filter but put regular oil in my machine....  if I could swear at them I can do so for half an hour without repeating myself. Geesh.

11 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Hi Canuck .... haven't seen you in years.  I worked on the snowmobile today with a few pointers from Sledjunk....... This was all that I can do.....

Relays.....  they were corroded and had hardened dielectric grease that I put on years ago. Helps with cold morning starts in Cochrane area. Cleaned them and replaced with fresh dielectric grease.

Oil Tank.....   checked the dip stick and the electric connector at the top.  Replaced and double checked.

Error code 85 .... Checked the oil pressure switch behind the battery. That was not seated properly. Cleaned and reseat.

Checked the TORS as per manual and moved the steering side to side..... idle was perfect.

Oiled the throttle cable at the top as best as I can.

Snowmobile seems to be working fine .....  knock wood.

Still taking it in to yamaha in Bobcaygeon on monday if I can get an appointment for another oil change and check up.  This would be my first time taking the sled in bobcaygeon yamaha.

The dealer I bought the sled from always serviced it...... bastnards (I do know to spell) charge me for Yamalube and filter but put regular oil in my machine....  if I could swear at them I can do so for half an hour without repeating myself. Geesh.

Had the sled been in the heated garage between a prior ride and the ride where the throttle stayed on? If so there may have somehow been some moisture left in the throttle cable  from your prior ride that froze slowly when you were out on your last ride. You had mentioned the the sled was acting funny earlier in the day, what was it doing?

46 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Had the sled been in the heated garage between a prior ride and the ride where the throttle stayed on? If so there may have somehow been some moisture left in the throttle cable  from your prior ride that froze slowly when you were out on your last ride. You had mentioned the the sled was acting funny earlier in the day, what was it doing?

Hi PLC .. yes it was in a heated garage between rides. I leave it outside now in an enclosed trailer.

Earlier between Minden and Haliburton  the engine light was flashing with error code 85.

This stopped after lunch then the throttle started actingup between Haliburton and Lindsay  then stuck 2 kilometers from TBR. After I rode it out of the ditch, the throttle was fine .... so was the outside of my left leg. I could feel again, upto now.

This is really weird for me.... since I had this snowmobile I never had a problem.  However this is the first time trailer and snowmobile is in a garage. 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, Yamaha Fan said:

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear you came out of it good. Just an FYI, I used Yamalube and their filter once and couldn't believe the price. Did a bunch of researching and seen their very expensive oil is not near worth what they charge for it!! I have been running Mobil-1 European formula 0W-40 and A Hi-Flo HF147 filter. The Yamalube oil/filter change, which I do myself, cost me over $90 dollars CDN. I can do an oil change now for around $40 and I know I am using a far better oil than the Yamalube crap.

20 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

I do have the manual.  I'll be going over the snowmobile with a fine tooth comb tomorrow.  The garage is being heated now.

Keep us in the loop what you or your dealer finds out? I personally have never heard of this before but sh*t happens. I assume you are a member at TY4stroke.com ? It would be interesting to hear what guys over there have to say about it? I am Irv over there as well.

Good luck, and again, glad to hear you are OK. :right_on:

Snowmobile won't start this morning at the yamaha dealer......   it was -19 anyway. I left it for them to look at.   Another Yamaha dealer said it might be a frozen relay.

:wtf:

Glad to hear you are ok TY, thanks for reaching out this am on FB Messenger, was great to chat with you and will be even better when we can meet up for a ride, Hope you get everything fixed on your sled soon.

Okay guys ....... just got back the snowmobile from Yamaha.

.... all error codes cleared. Nothing wrong with the oil Pressure Switch. They think it might have been moisture. I was riding in the middle of a group and snow dust was plentiful, sometimes you couldn't see the rider ahead.

.....  For the throttle problem......  right away when they started it up, they knew the secondary clutch needed servicing. They checked over the whole sled. I'm good to go.

Cost including taxes = $136.       Shucks.... I could have lost my life or crashed into the front rider for $136 bucks. 

Well alls well that ends well.

45 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

.... all error codes cleared. Nothing wrong with the oil Pressure Switch. They think it might have been moisture. I was riding in the middle of a group and snow dust was plentiful, sometimes you couldn't see the rider ahead.

.....  For the throttle problem......  right away when they started it up, they knew the secondary clutch needed servicing. They checked over the whole sled. I'm good to go.

Cost including taxes = $136.       Shucks.... I could have lost my life or crashed into the front rider for $136 bucks. 

so what caused the throttle problem?

1 hour ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Glad you made it out of that situation intact...who do you use to service your sled?

Archived