Ride tomorrow mactier

atomic

Hi guys, I'm dying to ride tomorrow and have the day off.   

I'm from Wellesley.   We want to launch somewhere closest to us and it seems Mactier area is best.   Can you recommend a place to park there?  Is there a parking near Cove Marine?

Also are those yellow trails decent or destroyed from yesterday's mixed weather?

Thanks for any tips!

Parking is no problem across from The Cove or at least was last year. As for trail conditions, (?) let's send our man Blake G over there to test them out.

Last year's report January 20, 2018 - trail conditions yellow (for the trail pictures - what you might expect - actual results may differ)

There is lots of parking across the street from The Cove.  The trail goes right into the parking lot.  Please if possible let us know how the trails are in the area. I might go up on Saturday for a quick shake down ride.

TIA.

Thx! we will try the cove area tomorrow.  I will let you know firday night late or sat morning how it is. 

Second question, sorry to bug you guys.  Do you think heading north up past parry sound or making a right toward Kearney direction would be a better ride tomorrow?

The Kearney way tends to have alot of traffic and beat up trail I remember.  

I'm writing at 2:40 pm so might be late, but can't you take off this evening to Algonquin Motel in South River and wake up to green trails? I did just look up Wellesley ON and you've got a fair ways to go in any case.

http://www.algonquinmotel.ca

Four lane highway all of the way. 401 probably clogged in GTA though unless you have a 407 transponder or pay extra toll.

Yeah we avoid Toronto area like cancer.  The traffic can be brutal.  We actually go north/east of Wellesley through Stayner and connect with 400 past Barrie.  Its a pleasant drive.  :)

We only have one day to ride, can't go night before.  We understand we will probably be in the truck for 6 hours for 4-5 hours of riding.  But that compared to watching my green lawn right now is worth it. 

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah we avoid Toronto area like cancer.  The traffic can be brutal.  We actually go north/east of Wellesley through Stayner and connect with 400 past Barrie.  Its a pleasant drive.  :)

We only have one day to ride, can't go night before.  We understand we will probably be in the truck for 6 hours for 4-5 hours of riding.  But that compared to watching my green lawn right now is worth it. 

Not trying to crush your plans or anything but I just got a text from my neighbor (our cottage is 15 minutes south of Mactier) and he said the 6" of snow we got on Tuesday night is down to about 2" of snow because of the rain yesterday.  He hasn't been out in the bush or anything but that's what I've just been told. Weather network does say more snow tomorrow up there.

Kearney and north is very good these days.

I know you are looking for more sleddin and less truckin, but things are better east of hwy 11, say Baysville/Dorset/Dwight area versus the Mactier Area.

3 minutes ago, tricky said:

I know you are looking for more sleddin and less truckin, but things are better east of hwy 11, say Baysville/Dorset/Dwight area versus the Mactier Area.

This.

Frozen mogals on the Seguin till bear lake as well. Going to need lots of snow to fill holes.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Kearney and north is very good these days.

Yeah excellent. Went that way again today. Hats off to ADSC and HRSC for getting things well prepared and now in fantastic shape.

Mactier area was great btw.  We launched from the cove and trails were groomed and barely any traffic all day.  201/203 great too.    No rough spots at all really.  It got worse on C near parry sound side and C103D was a bumpy mess before sprucedale.   Needs serious grooming with several exposed patches and some small water pools.  Police were out about 20 kms before sprucedale.  They were actually super nice though, two guys from Parry sound.  They were nice if you had all your papers and weren't acting like a monkey on the trails.  

The way back to cove was getting a little bumpy by end of day, but nothing too serious yet.  

If Saturday has a a lot of traffic it could get rough, but in my opinion I would still go if that area works best for you getting there. Late in the day Saturday could be a bumpy mess. 

First pic at cove.  Last one at C and 201 area.

20190125_125404.jpg

20190125_154558.jpg

20190125_134806.jpg

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Mactier area was great btw.  We launched from the cove and trails were groomed and barely any traffic all day.  201/203 great too.    No rough spots at all really.  It got worse on C near parry sound side and C103D was a bumpy mess before sprucedale.   Needs serious grooming with several exposed patches and some small water pools.  Police were out about 20 kms before sprucedale.  They were actually super nice though, two guys from Parry sound.  They were nice if you had all your papers and weren't acting like a monkey on the trails.  

The way back to cove was getting a little bumpy by end of day, but nothing too serious yet.  

If Saturday has a a lot of traffic it could get rough, but in my opinion I would still go if that area works best for you getting there. Late in the day Saturday could be a bumpy mess. 

First pic at cove.  Last one at C and 201 area.

Thanks for the feed back & pics atomic - excellent that your trip paid off.  Arrived at my camp last night - Waubamik - and about 1.5 feet of new snow up here. Going to get out this morning once it warms up to -20 or so. Not sure which direction yet - north sounds better at this point.

8 minutes ago, slomo said:

Thanks for the feed back & pics atomic - excellent that your trip paid off.  Arrived at my camp last night - Waubamik - and about 1.5 feet of new snow up here. Going to get out this morning once it warms up to -20 or so. Not sure which direction yet - north sounds better at this point.

Trails up to ardbeg and over to Whitestone are pretty bumpy as there was lots of traffic on them yesterday.  Not many exposed rocks though.  I went through at 10pm and at that point it was not groomed.   Maybe a bit less traveled up to loring.  I think people got off work early yesterday!?

Archived