QC puts the hammer down.

zoso

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Although over the top I do not feel that the loud exhausts are needed . Our business refuses  to sell them

I would too if I was the business owner.  Further, I would refuse to work on any unit having a non-stock exhaust.  

It probably wouldn't take many impounded sleds for word to get out and people to change their habits rather than risk having theirs impounded.

All this enforcement will be a good thing, word travels fast on social media and through the sledding industry. I think the sport might get better very soon as long as enforcement doesn’t give out any more warnings. People will smarten up quick! Of course, there will always be idiots in every sport, always has been. I don’t mind a little sound. When I had my mbrp trail cam on my 16’ ltx it was just enough to give it a nice tone when you got on the throttle. At idle or cruising speeds, you’d never be able to tell the difference..but man, some of those exhausts out there just sound like crap!

Try cruising around on your Hardley in Quebec these days.

Yup, you can dine at a sidewalk café there now, without some A-hole blatting his POS's straight pipe in your ear.

The Quebec government understands and supports tourism, and this is the lengths they will go to to protect their investment and economic health.

I'm behind this 110%

The people have spoken on this matter, and the elected government is taking action with the tools it has in place to enforce the law.

The way it should be.

Ontario could really learn something from the success of their next door neighbors, WITHOUT spending millions on a "study" that won't get implemented until our fragile system collapses.

complaining about loud exhausts and trespassers without demanding the people we pay license and registration fees to to actually DO something about it is like watching a tree fall on yourself without moving out of the way. 

If the law enforcement agencies can't or won't do the job, tell them to step aside.

And stop taking our money.

35 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Yup, you can dine at a sidewalk café there now, without some A-hole blatting his POS's straight pipe in your ear.

The Quebec government understands and supports tourism, and this is the lengths they will go to to protect their investment and economic health.

I'm behind this 110%

The people have spoken on this matter, and the elected government is taking action with the tools it has in place to enforce the law.

The way it should be.

Ontario could really learn something from the success of their next door neighbors, WITHOUT spending millions on a "study" that won't get implemented until our fragile system collapses.

complaining about loud exhausts and trespassers without demanding the people we pay license and registration fees to to actually DO something about it is like watching a tree fall on yourself without moving out of the way. 

If the law enforcement agencies can't or won't do the job, tell them to step aside.

Noise abatement is a serious issue and worthy of correction. Enforcement is a good thing... However, always beware of what you wish for. The main objective is quiet exhaust. I have seen in too many instances that the pendulum of law enforcement swings too far and is blindly enacted. "Stock" exhaust is a good thing, but not the only solution. If a non-stock exhaust exhibits similar or lower sound volume in decibels, then it should be allowed. This, however, requires intelligence and skill in determining offenders. I don't care how difficult it is to use intelligent enforcement, that is the way it should be. I am not required to go to a Ford dealer to replace the exhaust system on my Ford car nor should I be required to replace my snowmobile exhaust with a manufacturer stock system either. There are many replacement systems that are lighter, quieter with more performance. What is required is intelligence and not some dumb-down,blindly adapted simple solutions. And yes, all of my sleds are quiet. Apologies for the semi rant.

Yes in Ontario they would take a sledgehammer to deal w/ something a hammer would suffice.

You know they would overeact...

4 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I'm behind this 110%

The way it should be.

What is the difference between a Harley and a Vacuum Cleaner??  The location of the dirt bag...:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Noise abatement is a serious issue and worthy of correction. Enforcement is a good thing... However, always beware of what you wish for. The main objective is quiet exhaust. I have seen in too many instances that the pendulum of law enforcement swings too far and is blindly enacted. "Stock" exhaust is a good thing, but not the only solution. If a non-stock exhaust exhibits similar or lower sound volume in decibels, then it should be allowed. This, however, requires intelligence and skill in determining offenders. I don't care how difficult it is to use intelligent enforcement, that is the way it should be. I am not required to go to a Ford dealer to replace the exhaust system on my Ford car nor should I be required to replace my snowmobile exhaust with a manufacturer stock system either. There are many replacement systems that are lighter, quieter with more performance. What is required is intelligence and not some dumb-down,blindly adapted simple solutions. And yes, all of my sleds are quiet. Apologies for the semi rant.

you are not mandated by law to use oem. you are however mandated to use an sae tested muffler that meets the standard set forth in the law.

Action such as Quebec is taking = long overdue here.

Enough with these brapp brapp brapp fart cans + those that can't bring themselves to stay on the trails.

Saddest part, problem is easy to fix if everyone would only do what we all know is right.

1 minute ago, zoso said:

you are not mandated by law to use oem. you are however mandated to use an sae tested muffler that meets the standard set forth in the law.

Thanks for the clarification, zoso. However, like Reverend says, that would still be swatting flies with a sledgehammer. SAE testing rules out a lot of of good product from small entrepreneurs. If my exhaust is too loud, then measure it and charge me. If I get charged for DUI, it's because my alcohol blood levels were measured, and I would be charged if the legal level was exceeded. The police have the training and equipment to do this and it is well accepted in the courts. Just saying - make laws and enforcement intelligent.

Just now, Cuyuna said:

Thanks for the clarification, zoso. However, like Reverend says, that would still be swatting flies with a sledgehammer. SAE testing rules out a lot of of good product from small entrepreneurs. If my exhaust is too loud, then measure it and charge me. If I get charged for DUI, it's because my alcohol blood levels were measured, and I would be charged if the legal level was exceeded. The police have the training and equipment to do this and it is well accepted in the courts. Just saying - make laws and enforcement intelligent.

I agree. the goal is 80db quiet not stock . ido not think a cop will be concerned with a quiet exhaust .

What we definitely DONT want, is this season its exhaust, next season its carbide runners, the following season its studs, the following season its engines, the following season its tracks, the following season its ski wax, the following season its skis, the following season its moose tax time!

For the record these noise issues are a snowmobiling community concern where the concern has supposedly been made by non sledding public non tolerant folks who probably pick the most annoying element of sleds and target this and so on. WE DO NOT support a continued effort by these concerned peoples to continue to attack our lifestyles.

So we stay quiet, we dont litter and for the sake of sheer decency we find acceptable places to have a break out of sight with as much respect to the towns as possible so we can simply be a forgotten concern of "concerned peoples" and ride in peace and quiet with respect to the law and the discretion of the officers who probably dont want any BS as it is.

Remember to stay RIGHT and Ride sober

2019 starts with thundering authority it seems... braaap no more :ph34r:

29 minutes ago, zoso said:

I agree. the goal is 80db quiet not stock . ido not think a cop will be concerned with a quiet exhaust .

Exactly.

It's the landowners that generously let us ride their private property that are getting fed up with the noise and complaining to police and rightly so. If your sled is quiet they aren't likely to give you a second look, unless you give them cause

It drives me crazy every Saturday morning watching Snowtrax and seeing them sponsored by MBRP. And then they do shop segments on installing the cans and to there Crédit they do say to use the exhausts where applicable. But when I made a comment on there YouTube channel about how I get MBRP sponsors you but glorifying illegal equipment is part of the problem they responded with a total bs political answer “ but remember Snowtrax airs in many different countries” well I guess they need a reminder of where they came from cause in Minden, Ontario CANADA cans are illegal and they are part of the problem. They should be more responsible with the platform they have and loyal to their local sport, not to there sponsor.

17 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I would too if I was the business owner.  Further, I would refuse to work on any unit having a non-stock exhaust.  

This is exactly what the sign on the wall in the service department of the Skidoo dealer in Mont Laurier says.

6 hours ago, Polaris1 said:

This is exactly what the sign on the wall in the service department of the Skidoo dealer in Mont Laurier says.

Good on them.  Never happen up here, it's like Hazard County in these parts ... about half the locals have cans on their sleds.

agreed SalemRene.  Those shows and the magazines show sleds with air under everyone of them.  And the industry does not provide a decent entry level sled you can put a pass on and put a kid on.  Got an old 1980 Bearcat as a restore project so I can get my grandkids on something without air under it.  We won't have an industry in 25 years cause we did'nt recruit the next generation of volunteers or give them a sled they could learn on.

I have zero issues with the Police ticketing guys with cans, but after spending last weekend in Amos I was shocked with how many local Quebec guys are running around with cans on their sleds.   They definitely have an issue with noisy pipes there.   

4 hours ago, martin1 said:

agreed SalemRene.  Those shows and the magazines show sleds with air under everyone of them.  And the industry does not provide a decent entry level sled you can put a pass on and put a kid on.  Got an old 1980 Bearcat as a restore project so I can get my grandkids on something without air under it.  We won't have an industry in 25 years cause we did'nt recruit the next generation of volunteers or give them a sled they could learn on.

Doo ace 600 and cat 3000 are very kid friendly.

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Good on them.  Never happen up here, it's like Hazard County in these parts ... about half the locals have cans on their sleds.

If all the repair shops banded together and refused to work on those sleds it wouldn't take long until the use of cans changed. Kind of tough when nobody will repair your sled.

Archived