Club websites hosted by ClubHosting. Need help.

Corners Guy

Hello Everyone,

I am helping out my local D1 club this year and have taken on the ORS position. I have also volunteered to take over webmaster duties.

The club is using a site hosted by clubhosting.org. I need to be set up as the new admin as we are unable to get old info from the former admin who has moved on. 

I opened a request but now when I try to get an update I get this error:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

support@clubhosting.org
    LMTP error after end of data: 452 4.2.2 <support@clubhosting.org> Mailbox is full / Blocks limit exceeded / Inode limit exceeded:
    retry timeout exceeded

I have left 4 voice messages for them as well without any reply.

Does anyone still use a ClubHosting website? Do you have some sort of direct way to contact their support?

Thanks,

Drew.

28 minutes ago, Corners Guy said:

Hello Everyone,

I am helping out my local D1 club this year and have taken on the ORS position. I have also volunteered to take over webmaster duties.

The club is using a site hosted by clubhosting.org. I need to be set up as the new admin as we are unable to get old info from the former admin who has moved on. 

I opened a request but now when I try to get an update I get this error:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

support@clubhosting.org
    LMTP error after end of data: 452 4.2.2 <support@clubhosting.org> Mailbox is full / Blocks limit exceeded / Inode limit exceeded:
    retry timeout exceeded

I have left 4 voice messages for them as well without any reply.

Does anyone still use a ClubHosting website? Do you have some sort of direct way to contact their support?

Thanks,

Drew.

Where is the billing for the account going to?  If you can get the billing info you can call the banking institution and get all the history you will need to solve the issues. Perhaps the webhosting org has sold to another webhosting company and thats why you are having a struggle.. 

This happened to me...

Thanks YC.

Support and billing are referred to the same email address. Bills are paid directly on their "Client Area" dashboard. Not something I can track until I have the ability to log in and pay them.

I've been trying to get a response for almost a month. 

Super frustrating.

48 minutes ago, zoso said:

Stop paying a build a new web site.

Many clubs are closing websites and instead are using a Facebook account in order to save money.

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Many clubs are closing websites and instead are using a Facebook account in order to save money.

it is really the easy way to go. Smart to save the money as well.

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Just be aware they are not supposed to say anything about trail status other than to refer sledders to the ITG on Faceplant.

Nothing stopping individuals from saying that logging is taking place near the trail, cottagers have plowed the road, etc.

Just now, revrnd said:

Just be aware they are not supposed to say anything about trail status other than to refer sledders to the ITG on Faceplant.

Nothing stopping individuals from saying that logging is taking place near the trail, cottagers have plowed the road, etc.

They can post what they groom and when they groomed it or at least they are doing that.

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Also nothing stopping members of th epublic posting conditions.

7 minutes ago, zoso said:

Also nothing stopping members of the public posting conditions.

Yes. The thought being if the club had previously posted about a hazard somewhere on the trails, but neglected to mention a problem trailwise & someone hit the hazard, the club could be found negligent.

Just now, revrnd said:

Yes. The thought being if the club had posted about a hazard somewhere on the trails, but neglected to mention something & someone hit the hazard, the club could be found negligent.

We really do need new legislation in regards to suing  a club. It is an off road experience, not an engineered ride.

Just now, zoso said:

We really do need new legislation in regards to suing  a club. It is an off road experience, not an engineered ride.

I'm all for more not less info. I guess that's where OC comes in.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

yeah, always been the concern finding the balancing of providing info on FB without opening up the old liability doors.  There's a few of us that run our club's FB site, with a bunch on my shoulders.  I usually try to take the tact of providing updates of what we are doing so people have some visibility but am sure to point back to the ITG for official status, etc. things like we're out grooming, checking signs, hope to be able to open soon....but always finished with a 'keep an eye on the ITG and link to it type' of approach.

Before the dawn of history.....long before anyone heard of Slow Touring Guy....there existed a collection of Ontario snowmobile club web sites. Each individual club web site had to be consulted along the route of a proposed trip to determine trail conditions. Then...... came along the first and best version of the OFSC trail map which made things a lot easier.

Some pimply faced nerd in the United States invented Facebook. In order to save money, clubs now have a Facebook page. Each individual club's Facebook page has to be consulted along the route of a proposed trip to try to determine trail conditions. This involves scrolling through a lot of drivel to find crumbs of information. We have, in some way, returned to the Dark Ages.

Due to liability concerns, the OFSC has advised clubs to refrain from using social media as a method of providing information about trail conditions. The ITG is intended to be the primary information source. 

The huge problem with using the ITG, is that it is not updated often enough. Every club, should have to update daily, at a minimum. For anyone trying to plan trips, it,s kinda tough. I do know it,s all volunteer, but with to-days tech, it needs to be updated more than twice a week.

15 hours ago, zoso said:

Stop paying a build a new web site.

14 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We do have a facebook page. It has it's drawbacks as well. While it is free, there is also a lot of free advice posted. I don't believe there is a huge cost for the website. Under $100/year. I personally prefer the layout of a website. Easy navigation to news, executives info, events, plans. All stuff that could get easily lost on FB. 

At this point I can't even get a response from ClubHosting. I can't even turn it off if I wanted! I wonder if the club owns the domain or if it is theirs? 

Thanks,

Drew.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

The huge problem with using the ITG, is that it is not updated often enough. Every club, should have to update daily, at a minimum. For anyone trying to plan trips, it,s kinda tough. I do know it,s all volunteer, but with to-days tech, it needs to be updated more than twice a week.

It can be updated more regularly, just up to clubs and district, and some do more twice a week which is just the required. But yes, I doubt there's anyone that does it daily, since as you mentioned it's still largely volunteers.With the low snow and inconsistent weather we've had in the past few years I know we've had to do it more than twice/week since sometimes we've only been able to open for 2-3 day stretch in a row, so has been a lot of open for a couple days, close, open a few days later, close.....and so on just to take advantage of the little snow and cold we had.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

It might need more updates early in the season as trails are opening (and I see that happening in the last couple of weeks on the ITG) but once they are marked green, normally that's that unless there's a melt down, an ice storm, tree down or some other obstacle on the trail. 

23 minutes ago, Corners Guy said:

We do have a facebook page. It has it's drawbacks as well. While it is free, there is also a lot of free advice posted. I don't believe there is a huge cost for the website. Under $100/year. I personally prefer the layout of a website. Easy navigation to news, executives info, events, plans. All stuff that could get easily lost on FB. 

At this point I can't even get a response from ClubHosting. I can't even turn it off if I wanted! I wonder if the club owns the domain or if it is theirs? 

Thanks,

Drew.

I can't help with the clubhosting problem, however, I agree about the club web site still being a useful tool.  We still have our own site and try to keep it current.

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It might need more updates early in the season as trails are opening (and I see that happening in the last couple of weeks on the ITG) but once they are marked green, normally that's that unless there's a melt down, an ice storm, tree down or some other obstacle on the trail. 

Which, unfortunately, happens two days later :-(

22 minutes ago, Corners Guy said:

Thanks,

Drew.

The idea of doing a website or a Facebook account shouldn't be influenced by the preferences of the person charged with setting it up. JMHO. The idea is to give the "customers" the information in the media form that the majority prefer to use. 

39 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

In our district they update regularly, sometimes multiple times a day as the reports come in from the different clubs.

5 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I can't help with the clubhosting problem, however, I agree about the club web site still being a useful tool.  We still have our own site and try to keep it current.

Which, unfortunately, happens two days later :-(

That's an issue within the club or district if that's what is happening. Someone in the club or district has the ability to make changes 24/7. If status changes need to happen and  they aren't then that is an internal issue that needs to be dealt with.

1 hour ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

If you know it's all volunteers which volunteers would you suggest check all their trails end to end for hazards on a daily basis then send in the update typically to the district admin who would actually make the online update 7 days a week. Updates CAN be made any day. Mon and Thu are the minimums

15 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The idea of doing a website or a Facebook account shouldn't be influenced by the preferences of the person charged with setting it up. JMHO. The idea is to give the "customers" the information in the media form that the majority prefer to use. 

My personal preference is to provide the customer with easy to find information. 

I just did a quick search of 8 neighbouring clubs. 7 of them still maintain a website on top of a facebook presence. If you include us that is 8 out of 9 (89%). 

This must be different in your area?

Archived