Mounting my camera??

zoso

right now it is on my a arms, I like that perspective, but it all looks the same after a while. Handlebar would be looking through my wind screen. Helmet is not very good as it will have to be way back and there is no good spot back there for the mount. So, I was thinking of using one of the sticky mounts on my hood. My question is this, will it hold?

5 minutes ago, zoso said:

right now it is on my a arms, I like that perspective, but it all looks the same after a while. Handlebar would be looking through my wind screen. Helmet is not very good as it will have to be way back and there is no good spot back there for the mount. So, I was thinking of using one of the sticky mounts on my hood. My question is this, will it hold?

i have had a sticky mount for my gopro on my hood of the sled for just over a year and it worked well, and has never came off (i have only mounted to it about 6 times though).   I still ran a tether to it just in case though!   I do like the helmet pov best as long as i don't bobble head too much, which i used the same 3m stick mount

I used the clamp style mount on my front & rear bumper.

The rear bumper mount gives you a really good perspective with being down low, especially if sleds are following.....and the track noise is kind of  unique to hear.

The front mount I either directed back towards me or out front.

3 minutes ago, stoney said:

I used the clamp style mount on my front & rear bumper.

The rear bumper mount gives you a really good perspective with being down low, especially if sleds are following.....and the track noise is kind of  unique to hear.

The front mount I either directed back towards me or out front.

the bumpers on my sled are not round and the mount will not attach there. That is why I used the a arm,

16 minutes ago, zoso said:

the bumpers on my sled are not round and the mount will not attach there. That is why I used the a arm,

Neither was mine, front was a plastic non-round and the rear was a metal non-round - 2009 Crossfire for your ref.

I tried to find an image of the clamp, but no luck....it is in the shape of a diamond when you connect the upper & lower clamp, that should be able to clamp to whatever shape you need, as long as its O.D is not bigger than the clamp allows.

I have used the suction cup mount that came with my (older) GoPro...put it on top surface of left side panel, more or less beside the edge of the windshield.  It has only ever come off once (at very high speed), and since then I have used a tether, but hasn't ever happened again.  Gives a really good perspective of the trail...low enough, but not too low, and without the "fisheye" (extra high) effect of a helmet mount, which I don't like nearly as well. 

I’ve had the sticky mount on my hood and it held on fine. 

What camera do you have and do you have any issues with the camera shutting down due to cold from the wind, etc.  I have one that I took out couple times skiing and snowmobiling and the thing was a total PoS.  Was supposedly a 'good' non-gopro model, but I have had better luck holding my cell pones then this piece of 'thing coming out of dude in your pic in the really??? thread.' lol

2 hours ago, Sneaks said:

What camera do you have and do you have any issues with the camera shutting down due to cold from the wind, etc.  I have one that I took out couple times skiing and snowmobiling and the thing was a total PoS.  Was supposedly a 'good' non-gopro model, but I have had better luck holding my cell pones then this piece of 'thing coming out of dude in your pic in the really??? thread.' lol

my kid gave it to me for christmas, not even sure what it is, would have to look, but not a 500 buck go pro. It lasted for over 2 hours of video in -16. not sure if tht is good or bad. the video is not 4k, only 1080 which is 1/2 of 4k.

sticky thing will hold if you put it on properly. Give the spot a wipe with alcohol first and stick it on. I have had my GoPro on there for a couple years, no issues

17 minutes ago, zoso said:

my kid gave it to me for christmas, not even sure what it is, would have to look, but not a 500 buck go pro. It lasted for over 2 hours of video in -16. not sure if tht is good or bad. the video is not 4k, only 1080 which is 1/2 of 4k.

That's good enough but 4k is actually 4x 1080p.

58 minutes ago, zoso said:

yeah, I'm talking mine would shut down in 5-10m  that's what made it useless POS

I find the batteries problematic, especially in the cold. After several cycles, they develop a very short lifespan.

Working on attaching a MUCH larger battery pack.

Going to have to destroy a case to do it...

I found my GoPro battery to not be that bad, usually last longer than expected, but I am not filming 100% of the time either.

I did buy a backup battery years ago that i usually carried with me, but seldomly used.

I think there is an option for a larger battery battery pack as well on the GoPro's.

I bought something that allows me to have the GoPro plugged into a USB all the time. I have the GoPro remote on my brake reservoir to operate the camera. I also have the remote plugged into a USB port.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, barberch said:

sticky thing will hold if you put it on properly. Give the spot a wipe with alcohol first and stick it on. I have had my GoPro on there for a couple years, no issues

X2 on sticky mounts. 

I also run the GoPro 2 spot battery charger in my google bag with it plugged in with Rockmeister power supply, so i can swap batteries out

Sounds like sticky is the move...tether it on just in case. I have the sticky on my bike helmet and a ski helmet, but hate wearing the ski helmet and only did for video but it seems to be pretty secure. If it fell off skiing no biggie, going 80mph on the sled, might kill it. Thanks guys.

18 hours ago, zoso said:

Sounds like sticky is the move...tether it on just in case. I have the sticky on my bike helmet and a ski helmet, but hate wearing the ski helmet and only did for video but it seems to be pretty secure. If it fell off skiing no biggie, going 80mph on the sled, might kill it. Thanks guys.

mine is tethered with the wire going to it

I always ride with my camera tethered  ever since a branch clipped it off the top of my helmet.  Good thing IQ Turbo was riding behind me and saw it go flying off :icon_lolsign:

3 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I always ride with my camera tethered  ever since a branch clipped it off the top of my helmet.  Good thing IQ Turbo was riding behind me and saw it go flying off :icon_lolsign:

That IQ is a good guy to have following you so no one gets lost!

Archived