D- Trail Bracebridge

Muskoka Man

- 24 and sunny in Muskoka this morn 

So i thought a little scoot down D from 37 to the floating bridge was in order .Snow bombers have groomed and things are looking good .back home to thaw out now

IMG_20190120_100951.jpg

IMG_20190120_093815.jpg

IMG_20190120_095611.jpg

IMG_20190120_101229.jpg

Haven't been out this year, loaded everything up and started out this morning planning to drop at emsdale. got gas in van fergus and was pretty chilly just doing that.  I know my actual riding gear would be warmer, but after I left got behind a car going 55 for 10min and counting in an 80 with no easy pass, so started thinking......  solo trip, first time out for the season in -25 feels like -38, still 2+ hours away to trail.....ton of stuff I need to fix at the house..... re-evaluated, and turned around.  I'll call it a test run in the new (to me) trailer. You know a take the sleds for a country ride around the block. ;)

Beauty sunny day, but decided didn't want to be stuck in that cold if something happened and rather be at home wishing I was on the trail, than out on the trail really wishing I was home....  Now for those who did brave it, you can all send pics to tease me and make me envious. :)

That is looking sweet! If we didn’t have the kids this weekend we’d be heading north right now even though I Was out doing snow removal in fergus & Guelph this morning. Sure was chilly. Planning on heading north tomorrow. Looks like another sunny day! 

4 hours ago, Sneaks said:

Haven't been out this year, loaded everything up and started out this morning planning to drop at emsdale. got gas in van fergus and was pretty chilly just doing that.  I know my actual riding gear would be warmer, but after I left got behind a car going 55 for 10min and counting in an 80 with no easy pass, so started thinking......  solo trip, first time out for the season in -25 feels like -38, still 2+ hours away to trail.....ton of stuff I need to fix at the house..... re-evaluated, and turned around.  I'll call it a test run in the new (to me) trailer. You know a take the sleds for a country ride around the block. ;)

Beauty sunny day, but decided didn't want to be stuck in that cold if something happened and rather be at home wishing I was on the trail, than out on the trail really wishing I was home....  Now for those who did brave it, you can all send pics to tease me and make me envious. :)

Good call, considering you were solo. Safety first.

I was riding near Emsdale today, but with another sledder. Minus 28 doesn't leave much room for error. Kearney area trails were not busy. Saw about 25 sleds in 4 hours.

10 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Good call, considering you were solo. Safety first.

I was riding near Emsdale today, but with another sledder. Minus 28 doesn't leave much room for error. Kearney area trails were not busy. Saw about 25 sleds in 4 hours.

Blake, can you do me a huge favour and tell me the trails really sucked.... weather brutal..... and I totally missed the worst day of riding ever.... that would really help.... ;)

Yeah, I made the right choice, as much as I wanted to get out because my time will be limited until likely family day weekend now (unless something more local opens up - fingers crossed) there were just too many risks, as you mentioned with the cold not much room for error.  Solo riding obviously inherently carries additional risk, but  it's calculated, and prepare for it.  The additive risk of, first ride this year, very cold, not a lot of traffic, more remote, etc. pushed it over the edge.  Glad to hear you got out though.

It was warm enough while riding. Had to be careful with exposed skin, though - - couldn't leave the gloves off for any longer than necessary.

7 minutes ago, Sneaks said:

Blake, can you do me a huge favour and tell me the trails really sucked.... weather brutal..... and I totally missed the worst day of riding ever.... that would really help.... ;)

306 and D123 were 9/10. Seguin was 8/10. Beef stew at Kearney Legion was 9/10. Road running was 7/10 (low snow for cooling, in places).

Cold weather was a hindrance, and might have been the cause of low rider turnout. I've ridden that area solo about 10 times this season, but would not have done that in today's cold.

Road down to Dwight on saturday. Trails  were very good all the way down from Kearney. Took the 54 across to the d102b towards Baysville . This trail was rough and the new section that was brushed was not cleaned up .My buddy got a stick jammed up in his front suspension.Stopped at the d102b and d103b junction and got that stick cleared out. D103b was also rough right to Port Sydney.Went across Mary Lake which was staked. Got stopped by Opp at the road crossing just before the hwy 11 tunnels. Checked val tags and helmet straps.From the tunnels north on the d-trail to the y- intersection of  d-trail and 38 it was not groomed. D-trail from the y-section north to the the Seguin was groomed and very good. There were a couple of spots that were a little rough but 8/10. The seguin back to Kearney late oin the day was good also. Got stopped again by Opp at the Highland Rovers Grooming shed. Checked tags again.Waved us on.Got back to Sand lake about 6pm. Nice day and i didn't think the trails were super busy.  

4 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Road down to Dwight on saturday. Trails  were very good all the way down from Kearney. Took the 54 across to the d102b towards Baysville . This trail was rough and the new section that was brushed was not cleaned up .My buddy got a stick jammed up in his front suspension.Stopped at the d102b and d103b junction and got that stick cleared out. D103b was also rough right to Port Sydney.Went across Mary Lake which was staked. Got stopped by Opp at the road crossing just before the hwy 11 tunnels. Checked val tags and helmet straps.From the tunnels north on the d-trail to the y- intersection of  d-trail and 38 it was not groomed. D-trail from the y-section north to the the Seguin was groomed and very good. There were a couple of spots that were a little rough but 8/10. The seguin back to Kearney late oin the day was good also. Got stopped again by Opp at the Highland Rovers Grooming shed. Checked tags again.Waved us on.Got back to Sand lake about 6pm. Nice day and i didn't think the trails were super busy.  

I was surprised they opened that new section on D102b. Sorry. I helped clear some of it but it does need lots more snow. For now till we get some more snow I'd take 51(its groomed) to d103. I helped stake Mary on Friday. The west side of HGR was groomed today and its pretty good, just got back in, rode north to 37 and D intersection, turned around and ran D south to Bracebridge. Sno bombers had D in good shape too! Hopefully by this weekend the drags will have more snow to work with.

3 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

I was surprised they opened that new section on D102b. Sorry. I helped clear some of it but it does need lots more snow. For now till we get some more snow I'd take 51(its groomed) to d103. I helped stake Mary on Friday. The west side of HGR was groomed today and its pretty good, just got back in, rode north to 37 and D intersection, turned around and ran D south to Bracebridge. Sno bombers had D in good shape too! Hopefully by this weekend the drags will have more snow to work with.

Doing the best we can with what we have!

Archived