Quebec Free Weekend

carman80

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Your registration numbers??  I know there not really fans of custom numbers there.

Last yr in Mont Laurier, officer went up one side of me and down the other over my custom numbers saying an Ontario sled is only legal in Quebec if I have the Ont registration stuck to the rear section of the tunnel. Been stopped several other times with same sled with no one else hinting at any kind of a problem. Quebec pass / Ont numbers are in plain view.

20180324_140451.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Last yr in Mont Laurier, officer went up one side of me and down the other over my custom numbers saying an Ontario sled is only legal in Quebec if I have the original Ont registration stuck to the rear section of the tunnel. Been stopped several other times with same sled with no one else hinting at any kind of a problem. Quebec pass / Ont numbers are in plain view.

20180324_140451.jpg

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Last yr in Mont Laurier, officer went up one side of me and down the other over my custom numbers saying an Ontario sled is only legal in Quebec if I have the Ont registration stuck to the rear section of the tunnel. Been stopped several other times with same sled with no one else hinting at any kind of a problem. Quebec pass / Ont numbers are in plain view.

Had a couple of Que officers question our custom numbers last year as well,  but as we all had them he didn't make a big deal about it.

Was talking to a friend of mine that a bunch of them went to Mont Laurier this past weekend and saw a group of 6 guys all getting tickets for having custom numbers on their sleds.

3 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Was talking to a friend of mine that a bunch of them went to Mont Laurier this past weekend and saw a group of 6 guys all getting tickets for having custom numbers on their sleds.

So much for Free Weekend. I'm guessing most would pay the fine rather than take the time off work and incurring the cost of going to fight the ticket.

Just now, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

So much for Free Weekend. I'm guessing most would pay the fine rather than take the time off work and incurring the cost of going to fight the ticket.

He mentioned when he talked to the group that the officer took the information down and would be mailing them tickets, needless the say they weren't very impressed as they were totally legal with paperwork, no modified exhausts but still got the gears anyways.

7 minutes ago, Nunz said:

I guess I'll be bringing my ontario plate with me in my dash and stick it in if there being buttheads.

10 minutes ago, Nunz said:

He mentioned when he talked to the group that the officer took the information down and would be mailing them tickets, needless the say they weren't very impressed as they were totally legal with paperwork, no modified exhausts but still got the gears anyways.

Hopefully whomever he reports to will enlighten him and nothing will come of it. Maybe it would be a good idea if anyone who is harassed regarding custom letters should be commenting to the FCMQ and the various regions that send us all the advertising emails to come sledding in Quebec.

4 hours ago, Nunz said:

OMFG don't they have something better to do ??  Hey, we'd like to spend 2 grand each over the next week in your motels and restaurants, enjoy your trails... No problem, here's another $110+ expense to add to the list ... 

Someone in that group should be going postal on the Quebec social media in the region where this occurred.  I'd be taking pictures of the officers, naming names, calling them out.  Make them look onto their actions and think a little bit.  Numbers are there.  Everything else is in order.  Ride on.

6 hours ago, Nunz said:

That is the same as a cop ticketing a vehicle from Florida with no front plate. idiotic. Most likely a stupid cop cop that does not even know the law, lots of them around.

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

OMFG don't they have something better to do ??  Hey, we'd like to spend 2 grand each over the next week in your motels and restaurants, enjoy your trails... No problem, here's another $110+ expense to add to the list ... 

Someone in that group should be going postal on the Quebec social media in the region where this occurred.  I'd be taking pictures of the officers, naming names, calling them out.  Make them look onto their actions and think a little bit.  Numbers are there.  Everything else is in order.  Ride on.

Go for a drive in Montreal... the locals tell me the cops love to ticket out of province drivers. You can't make a right on a red, on the island. Off the island it's legal. Go figure.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

Go for a drive in Montreal... the locals tell me the cops love to ticket out of province drivers. You can't make a right on a red, on the island. Off the island it's legal. Go figure.

I have never had a problem in QC when driving, I am in that province at least once per week from dec till april.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, IQ TURBO said:

Separates the Men from the Boys..

Uh hum!! What about me? LOL 

12 hours ago, Nunz said:

7 hours ago, Denis007 said:

X2 on that. Mind you not sure how taking pics of the cops would go over.

Quebecrider.com & the FCMQ's Faceplant page would be good start.

"Welcome to la belle province, here's a ticket" shouldn't be the way to treat tourists. Obviously word of mouth travels now a days.

Next they'll want us to have PQ registration (doesnt NY work that way?).

The only riding we did in PQ was after their free weekend years ago. Met 2 cops on our way from Notre Dame du Nord to Rouyn Noranda. They never stopped. We had our mirrors & custom #s. We were warned about the 'hand mirrors'.

So earlier today, I sent an email to the FCMQ regarding the cops going after the custom reg. #'s. Here is what I sent and the reply I got:

Envoyé : 21 janvier 2019 09:19
À : Info fcmq
Objet : Harassment by police on Free Weekend

Why were Quebec police harassing and writing tickets to Ontario snowmobiler's with custom registration #'s on the sides of their snowmobiles this past Free Weekend? Custom registration #'s are fully legal in Ontario. This was happening in the Abitibi region and near Mount Laurier.

This practice will hurt snowmobile tourism in your province.

Hello Brian,

First let me begin by thinking you for coming to Quebec to ride our trails and take part in our Open House Event.  We regret the treatment you received at the hands of some Sûreté du Québec officers.  You are absolutely correct that personalized registration numbers are legal in Ontario and therefore legal in Quebec as well.  Please know that this information had been transmitted to the SQ in the past.  Further to your message, we have transmitted the information to the SQ once again, more specifically to the person responsible for OHVs, with a note to ensure that this information gets relayed to all officers, precisely to prevent this type of event from re-occurring.

Respectfully yours,    

Michel Brault  I  Conseiller sénior - Support technique
101-1027 boul. des Entreprises   I  Terrebonne, Québec J6Y 1V2  I  www.fcmq.qc.ca

cid:3516685042_38708000

Mind you that doesnt help about the tickets just written...

Good on you for reaching out. Perfect message and to the point. Nice you got a quick reply too. 

Terrebonne is where my aunt lives, East end of Mtl just off the island on the North side. (Where the gentleman who replied is based).

51 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Good on you for reaching out. Perfect message and to the point. Nice you got a quick reply too. 

Terrebonne is where my aunt lives, East end of Mtl just off the island on the North side. (Where the gentleman who replied is based).

Terrebonne is the Head Office for the Quebec Federation I believe.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Mind you that doesnt help about the tickets just written...

The Federation doesn't write the tickets or control them. BTW I did not read anywhere in this thread where it actually stated that anyone had a ticket handed to them.

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Terrebonne is the Head Office for the Quebec Federation I believe.

The Federation doesn't write the tickets or control them. BTW I did not read anywhere in this thread where it actually stated that anyone had a ticket handed to them.

How did the OPP's 'enforcement' of the speed limits up north a few years ago? I'm pretty sure in those days of limited social media the message got out that folks were taking their tourism dollars elsewhere.

Can you imagine the hue & cry if the OPP were writing up PQ sledders on some obscure regulation?

good job PLC. Great response as well. Not much more can be asked of the federation. I highly doubt you would even hear back from the Ofsc if the same was sent to them for a similar type issue. this makes me wonder about the mirror law in QC. based on that response it would seem to me, if your sled is legal here, it is legal there. Not that the respondant is a law expert, but it does make sense. We can drive our cars there with no snow tires, and if you are plated in qc you must have them.

We got stopped on Sunday outside of Amos.   Cop just walked up and pointed at our permits and mirror, gave us the thumbs up and said see ya.    

Archived