Ice conditions in Southern Georgian Bay

GeorgianBayGuy

Can anyone comment on how the ice is firming up Honey Harbour, Midland, Penetang?  Any tree lines in yet or are they expected soon.  Not in a rush, just a status update would be nice. 

Thx 

Pretty sure I recall my dad saying icebreaker went through penetang in the last 2-3wks or so.

also just last week I believe a 34yr old tried crossing from midland over to picnic island. I think it was open water. Not sure what he was thinking.

the ice is far from ready!

once those tree/stake lines are in it’ll be good to go. I think it’ll be a while yet though 

14 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Pretty sure I recall my dad saying icebreaker went through penetang in the last 2-3wks or so.

also just last week I believe a 34yr old tried crossing from midland over to picnic island. I think it was open water. Not sure what he was thinking.

the ice is far from ready!

once those tree/stake lines are in it’ll be good to go. I think it’ll be a while yet though 

The guy you are referring to went in near Present Island. The reports weren't more specific than that but even on a very good ice winter you can see the patch of open water near Present island. The tree line/stake line is off the south end of Beausoleil Island and keeps you well clear of the Present Island open water. .

CaptureM.JPG.9780221a7b6ffefce574d7956bb26c9b.JPG

I knew it started with a P! Lol

I was in HH last weekend....cottage is just in behind Deer Island.  Everything is closed up now...even the slow zone in the main channel near Deer.  It had just closed up on the Thursday when we got the cold weather.  I took a hovercraft in since it had just tightened up in those spots and there was zero snow on the ice.

I know of someone that got to their place on Deer island this weekend going the back way, so if you know where you are going the ice is good.  Issue is there is almost no snow.  It ranges from bare ground to maybe 4 inches back in the bush.

Now that everything is closed up and due to the zero snow coverage the ice is very good quality, no slush even in the usual spots.  If we get 6 inces of snow over the next week the ice will be great to travel on.

02Sled....you usually know when the line is in from Penetang to Beausoliel....if you can post when you hear it is in that would be great.

Hey Guys! any updates?  I know it was cold as heck on the weekend up in the area.  Ice would have been building up for sure. Hopefully today's warmer weather doesn't hurt anything.  Any ideas if/when the lakes will be marked out/tree lines put in?

Any Baxter Snow Riders guys know if 6 Mile and Gloucester Pool are marked?

TIA.

11 hours ago, GibsonNytro said:

Hey Guys! any updates?  I know it was cold as heck on the weekend up in the area.  Ice would have been building up for sure. Hopefully today's warmer weather doesn't hurt anything.  Any ideas if/when the lakes will be marked out/tree lines put in?

Any Baxter Snow Riders guys know if 6 Mile and Gloucester Pool are marked?

TIA.

None of them have been staked as of yet since there hasn't been open trails to get to them. Soon perhaps real soon. I'm in Philadelphia at the moment and will be in the area for Baxter in Bahamas on Saturday night. I'm hoping to be able to at least get out somewhere somehow Sunday for a little bit before I have to head home to fly out again

Just got some more information

There were holes near Maceys bay that have froze over but that means they just froze because the weekend before there was open water.  No tree line has been put in yet. 

The president of gbsr and  are hoping to have some trails opened for the weekend as they’ve been out grooming.  

There is/was open water/bad ice to the west side of Brandy’s Island and down further towards picnic island. Not ready for staking and really no good alternate route yet. 

10 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Just got some more information

There were holes near Maceys bay that have froze over but that means they just froze because the weekend before there was open water.  No tree line has been put in yet. 

The president of gbsr and  are hoping to have some trails opened for the weekend as they’ve been out grooming.  

There is/was open water/bad ice to the west side of Brandy’s Island and down further towards picnic island. Not ready for staking and really no good alternate route yet. 

Thanks for the updates 02.

I see Trail 11B on Gloucester Pool is now listed as limited so I assume they have marked the trail out. I was out on 6 mile and the Pool last Saturday and it was not marked yet. Lots of Big Pressure cracks to watch out for.  Including one that will be on trail 11A (6 mile lake) just north or the portage north of 6 mile lake marina.  Looks like my area is starting to open up.   

Great work to our volunteers - Thanks! 

4 hours ago, GibsonNytro said:

I see Trail 11B on Gloucester Pool is now listed as limited so I assume they have marked the trail out. I was out on 6 mile and the Pool last Saturday and it was not marked yet. Lots of Big Pressure cracks to watch out for.  Including one that will be on trail 11A (6 mile lake) just north or the portage north of 6 mile lake marina.  Looks like my area is starting to open up.   

Great work to our volunteers - Thanks! 

The Pool is staked. This is the alternate for C-trail to get to the Georgian bay side of Port severn, since Lock45 is closed for construction. Bridge is not accesible...

My dad just told me the tree line has been staked in penetang 

12 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The Pool is staked. This is the alternate for C-trail to get to the Georgian bay side of Port severn, since Lock45 is closed for construction. Bridge is not accesible...

Thanks Yukon! 

12 hours ago, Baylaker said:

My dad just told me the tree line has been staked in penetang 

Great to hear...taking it tomorrow afternoon from Penetang to HH.  I have heard all of the warnings about pressure cracks in unusual spots so will be taking it easy on the way over.  Gas at Jug City, then on to HH!

Archived