Best place to drop n go around Minden??

MR WEEZ

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I hired an exterminator a few years back. The mice were in the house, the sheds, in my trucks, everywhere. The guy was able get the population knocked down and didn't see them much any more. Then the guy got a bit weird, wasn't coming as often then just stopped coming. We have a new guy doing it now for the last 6 months and things are better again. That Vector hadn't moved in 2 years so it sat during that in between time. They ate the bottom of my seat on my Cat but didn't touch the Doo.

Spearmint oil is supposed to keep them away. I used that for a couple years but I would forget to do it.

Bounce sheets work wonders as well.

5 hours ago, gtserider said:

Can we still get up all the lakes from Minden or is there landowner issues on some of the bypasses we used to use.Mind you we used to put our ear to the rails on B103?? so its been a while.Not that long but you get the idea.Friend of mine who is on Canning Lake said there isn't one track Lesters are just a mile away and used the lake frequently,hell there the kids went to Halliburton High by snowmachine--way quicker than the bus.So I know we lost the Ingsolby bypass years ago and I'm sure we can't run through the public school play ground in Hali anymore.But how about the other connecting lakes? We used to run Red Pine ,Sherbourne .Nunicanni

Yes you can still go up the lakes from minden.  If you use to cross twelve mile and catch the b right in carnarvon where the gas station used to be use extra caution as there is a big pressure crack by the beach on twelve mile.

Screenshot_20190122-030644_Maps.jpg

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The mice were in the house, the sheds, in my trucks, everywhere. The guy was able get the population knocked down and didn't see them much any more. Then the guy got a bit weird, wasn't coming as often then just stopped coming. We have a new guy doing it now for the last 6 months and things are better again. That Vector hadn't moved in 2 years so it sat during that in between time. They ate the bottom of my seat on my Cat but didn't touch the Doo.

Spearmint oil is supposed to keep them away. I used that for a couple years but I would forget to do it.

There are electronic sonic rodent repellents if you have power available. Years ago my folks had a lot of mice in the cottage. The basement was finished and had a suspended ceiling. You could hear them running around the ceiling. If you put out 10 traps you would catch 10 mice. It was bad. The sonic repellents went in, one in each room. Go home for the week and come back the next weekend. No mice running in the ceiling and all the traps were empty.

I had mice in my garage. They ate holes in my wife's saddle blanket and got into the bag of grass seed. I put in the sonic units and haven't had a mouse since. The bag of grass seed which would be a huge draw for mice remains untouched.

Thanks boys. You are all taking about places you started from like everyone else not from around there is supposed to know what your talking about. This thread was started to get information on where to stage.

My suggestion, similar to what was commented earlier -- go north of Carnarvon. - much more snow and better trails.

I was through there today in my car and trails were freshly groomed and looked quite good. 4-6" forecast overnight as well.

Use the landing at Raven Lake - big parking lot for cottager access mostly in the summer. Groomed trail going directly through the parking lot, or you can run the lake and link up with other trails. (it is normally always staked) however I have not been on it this year. 

The lot I am referring to is directly off of hwy 35. - approx. 15min. north of Carnarvon, 10 min. south of Dorset. -25 min. north of Minden.

Does staging @ Raven not reduce the number of possible loops?

10 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Does staging @ Raven not reduce the number of possible loops?

As opposed to where - Minden?

I've used it for years, and always found it to be a great spot. You can go in most any direction. (not sure currently, what may have logging going on etc. for this season)

Typically, I go to Baysville, then heading north work my way to Dwight, over into Oxtongue lake area. -The great part of this area, you have many trail options to lengthen or shorten your day. If you are in a hurry to get back to the truck the lakes are generally well travelled.  

3 minutes ago, Willy said:

As opposed to where - Minden?

I've used it for years, and always found it to be a great spot. You can go in most any direction. (not sure currently, what may have logging going on etc. for this season)

Typically, I go to Baysville, then heading north work my way to Dwight, over into Oxtongue lake area. -The great part of this area, you have many trail options to lengthen or shorten your day. If you are in a hurry to get back to the truck the lakes are generally well travelled.  

I just meant staging @ Canarvon, you can head west @ Pine Springs as you go north. Unless conditions were poor in that area (they were fine the day I staged there) I can't see driving up to Raven.

Minden to Carnarvon is 8 miles, we had a cottage on Kushog & turned west (before 118 was built). I remember that mileage. Canarvon to Raven seems longer than 15 minutes, mind you I'm usually towing a travel trailer up & down those hills.

Not exactly sure where Pine Springs is. Probably drove by it a thousand times.

I assume it's somewhere around Ox Narrows area?? Halls Lake/Hawk Lakes. As I write this post, I think I know exactly where it is. LOL.

I think there is a place to park in/off of Hawk Lake Rd. - which could be a good option.

My opinion for whatever it's worth, I would always go to Raven. Never had a parking space issue. You can head south to where you mention, or any of the alternates.  

Pine Springs is just north of where TOP B goes west of 35 from Kushog (Austin Lake Rd).

Raven lake is a great spot to stage, only down side it is an extra hour each way to get to from say Kinmount.

The snow coverage is usually much better and tall pines generally does a great job on the trails as does ASC.

You can go North, West, East....or South if you are so inclined too.

As noted, when the lakes are GTG, and you know your way, makes getting around much faster.

Minden bad place to drop.   Better choices from Carnarvon.  

The day I staged in Canarvon I had driven up from the city & was heading to Apsley afterwards (after I loaded up I had dinner in town). I'd rather be riding than driving.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, 02Sled said:

There are electronic sonic rodent repellents if you have power available. Years ago my folks had a lot of mice in the cottage. The basement was finished and had a suspended ceiling. You could hear them running around the ceiling. If you put out 10 traps you would catch 10 mice. It was bad. The sonic repellents went in, one in each room. Go home for the week and come back the next weekend. No mice running in the ceiling and all the traps were empty.

I had mice in my garage. They ate holes in my wife's saddle blanket and got into the bag of grass seed. I put in the sonic units and haven't had a mouse since. The bag of grass seed which would be a huge draw for mice remains untouched.

I had 2 of those sonic rodent things in my shed when the first episode happened. Actually watch a mouse pass within 2 feet of one.

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I had 2 of those sonic rodent things in my shed when the first episode happened. Actually watch a mouse pass within 2 feet of one.

Maybe it was the brand you had. I don't know but the ones we have work for us and have done for years. Or perhaps the mouse you saw was on his way out of dodge.

With the problem of the mice getting into the sleds my neighbour now for the 3rd year has had them.  The other neighbour says once they are in there and p!ss the others will come back. I have set up the "rolling logg " trap using a pop can baited with peanut butter and in the bucket using used prestone.  This way the traps works all year.  I have 3 for the barns we do off season storage in.  Lots of dryer sheets too and real traps and then reset them when set.  Still would like to try saved Irish spring soap and I believe PLC suggested extract of spearmint but need that confirmed again however vehicles seem to be rodent free 

13 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

With the problem of the mice getting into the sleds my neighbour now for the 3rd year has had them.  The other neighbour says once they are in there and p!ss the others will come back. I have set up the "rolling logg " trap using a pop can baited with peanut butter and in the bucket using used prestone.  This way the traps works all year.  I have 3 for the barns we do off season storage in.  Lots of dryer sheets too and real traps and then reset them when set.  Still would like to try saved Irish spring soap and I believe PLC suggested extract of spearmint but need that confirmed again however vehicles seem to be rodent free 

Not extract Nick. Mice will eat extract. Use PURE SPEARMINT OIL available at the bulk store. If you use it in the early fall, end of Sept. when the mice are looking for a winter home it works very well as they avoid it for some reason.

48 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not extract Nick. Mice will eat extract. Use PURE SPEARMINT OIL available at the bulk store. If you use it in the early fall, end of Sept. when the mice are looking for a winter home it works very well as they avoid it for some reason.

Thanks so much Brian   Now I will write it down.  Also, I put out the pellets that are in the bags  TSC has a good price 

There is another trap method. Get a bucket and put two holes near the top, one across from the other. Insert a piece of dowel through the two holes so that it can spin but not pull out of the holes. A bit of duct tape wrapped around the dowel outside of the bucket will work. Put some antifreeze in the bucket, smear the dowel with peanut butter. Provide an access route to the dowel. They go out on the dowel. It spins upside down and eventually they drop off into the antifreeze.

Archived