Cold weekend comming

andreyboater

Looks like cold weekend coming, just wonder what's lowest temperature did you ride guys. We ride - $37C one day around Algonquin and it's was close to comfort limit.

About 5 years ago my brother and I rode in -35. It was a -45 windchill day. Took about 25 pulls to get my srx to start. Warmers on high and still felt like they weren’t working. We didn’t last too long out there. 

Been out in -55C before, when we lived in Iqaluit.

Exposed skin can freeze in 5 mins, needless to say, you must dress for it!

5 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Been out in -55C before, when we lived in Iqaluit.

Exposed skin can freeze in 5 mins, needless to say, you must dress for it!

Years back (25 years?) I was up in Smooth Rock Falls when the water plant was upgraded.  It was -45C, it was cold, but when I landed in Toronto in -25 it felt much worse.  Lol.

Started the big loop in Temagami one year and it was -42 the morning we started. First 3 days the warmest morning was -37 then it warmed up to the -25 area. Glad to have the muffs that year. Now we wait till the end of Feb or early March for our big trip. Much warmer.

We had a planned trip to Rand, Ontario for this upcoming Sunday.  I backed out, but not sure of the rest of the crew.  Brave fellows.  Forecast for Rand is a daytime high of -25 with a 'Feels like -34'.  No thanks.

5 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

We had a planned trip to Rand, Ontario for this upcoming Sunday.  I backed out, but not sure of the rest of the crew.  Brave fellows.  Forecast for Rand is a daytime high of -25 with a 'Feels like -34'.  No thanks.

We are going also North of Sudbury for upcoming weekend, my crew set up pretty  good, only one thing bothering me, my wife decided to have a ride this time and she never ride before at that extreme temperature.

Any tips for cold riding?

Usually I have for snowmobile:

booster, gas line antifreeze, muffs 

For me:

spare gloves and socks, hand and foot warmer pack,  neckerchief for neck or back, face oil to prevent burn marks.

29 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

For me:

spare gloves and socks, hand and foot warmer pack,  neckerchief for neck or back, face oil to prevent burn marks.

The biggest challenge I now face is glasses fogging. I am now forced towear glasses to ride. Hate contacts. I spent a lot of time shopping for sun glasses to ride with, bringing my helemet to three optical stores before choosing a pair. So far these glasses have worked well but have yet to ride in colder than -15. Helmet makers should get in on this market and offer heated shields that can be prescription lenses.

42 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

For me:

I know of some people who have put duct tape on cheeks. We were out at -29 in MacTier and didn't last more than an hour or so. We got off the open ice and into the shelter of the trees whenever we could. I think my limit for it to be enjoyable would be -20

I have a duck tape in my everyday check list as rope, wire, tarp and shovel.

one Saturday morning we rode from Katrine to Huntsville and it warned up to -32 C by the time we got there.

we didn't want to leave the Deerhurst pub for that cold ride back.....

my limit these days is around -20 C

Rode one really cold day on a saddle bag trip in Northern Ontario 3 years ago...started out at -37, "warmed up" to -30 by late morning. Had to stop for more frequent breaks to be sure no frostbite...also had problems with sled tunnels getting excessive ice accumulation, blocking heat exchangers, so had to stop repeatedly to knock the ice off.  Good idea to add a wooden "ice club" to your cold weather riding kit, andreyboater.

29 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

Rode one really cold day on a saddle bag trip in Northern Ontario 3 years ago...started out at -37, "warmed up" to -30 by late morning. Had to stop for more frequent breaks to be sure no frostbite...also had problems with sled tunnels getting excessive ice accumulation, blocking heat exchangers, so had to stop repeatedly to knock the ice off.  Good idea to add a wooden "ice club" to your cold weather riding kit, andreyboater.

Good point, always something new.Thanks:icon_goodpost:

QC trip few years ago, first time the catch term "polar vortex" was used, at least for me, morning were well into the minus 30, it was brutal,  but it's not like you can stop the trip, show must go on. Only issue was one sled had the antifreeze partially freeze up causing an overheat, one of the local businesses let us pull sled in to heated shop to thaw.

Good times!

40 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

3 years ago would have been the year of the Northern Corridor Invasion supper at my place, IIRC .... that was a ridiculous season for sure ... Snow, melt, rain, repeat.  Trails only opened in Feb. in Hearst.  The day we rode the loops around town and stopped at the Marina to warm up (ask Carol, she'll remember the furry critters) it was around -26 in the afternoon, prolly started out in the low -30's.  

With muffs and modern warmers, I will tolerate -30-ish, as long as I add another inner layer top and bottom.  Normal day trip riding around here, I won't bother if it's colder than -25 in general.  I don't need to ride that badly, and have refused to quite often.  Above that I'm fairly comfortable with no changes to wardrobe.

Zoso, I wear contacts, and have been for 32 years (or so).  If I had to wear glasses to go sledding, I'd sell the whole f'n works.  Won't do it.

Dennis...... the Ski Doo modulars  work great  But you must know that already  LOL    I have always worn glasses and when I saw one of the older guys who just bled Yamaha was wearing a Ski Doo helmet, well that tells ya they must work 

I got a set of the Ski Doo handle bar muffs,  with the plastic windows on top,  they are fairly rigid,  and was -24 last Sunday and didn't need much heat from the bar warmers at all.  I was impressed since my hands do get cold first and always have. 

-36 and thanks to some good gear I was doing 120 across the lake and felt totally comfortable.  That day could have been a Klim commercial.

37 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Dennis...... the Ski Doo modulars  work great  But you must know that already  LOL    I have always worn glasses and when I saw one of the older guys who just bled Yamaha was wearing a Ski Doo helmet, well that tells ya they must work 

My wife and I both ride Cats but have the BRP modular helmet. I wear glasses as well. The slide down tinted visor eliminates the need for sunglasses.

Archived