Polar vortex splits into three, setting up Ontario and Quebec for -30C cold and a weekend storm . Party like it's 2014

Canuck

Interesting article  in Global News, with above Twitter link (tho image is tough to decipher " where or above where " it splits ).

Winter is coming :)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4851800/polar-vortex-ontario-quebec-winter-storm/

Minus 37  ( night temp ) in Cochrane.

Quebec is also supposed to get this. Careful...to those of you enjoying free trails weekend  in Quebec ( "you must be from Ontario" if you have hand muffs :razz: )

We need snow down here! 4" on the snow stick...

Won’t happen. southern Ontario will get 1cm. I hope I’m wrong, but have a feeling I could be right. Going to be too cold to snow by the looks of it

-23 here.

This weekend features "A Super blood wolf moon" AND a "Polar Vortex".

I should start making up names for stuff.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:55 PM, Canuck said:

Interesting article  in Global News, with above Twitter link (tho image is tough to decipher " where or above where " it splits ).

Winter is coming :)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4851800/polar-vortex-ontario-quebec-winter-storm/

Minus 37  ( night temp ) in Cochrane.

Quebec is also supposed to get this. Careful...to those of you enjoying free trails weekend  in Quebec ( "you must be from Ontario" if you have hand muffs :razz: )

Remember that year Canuck, when we ALL headed to Giant Tomb to see the ice formations!  You were our fearless leader, if my memory is correct!

14 hours ago, TheNavigator said:

Remember that year Canuck, when we ALL headed to Giant Tomb to see the ice formations!  You were our fearless leader, if my memory is correct!

I led the group from Port Severn to Georgian Bay. Blake has some type of 'Christopher Columbus' inner compass, and led the group to the edge of the world. Nunzio was there to look good in pictures. 

4 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I led the group from Port Severn to Georgian Bay. Blake has some type of 'Christopher Columbus' inner compass, and led the group to the edge of the world. Nunzio was there to look good in pictures. 

we had a group of just over 50 sleds that made the trip that day and passed Blake and crew as they were heading out. We were on our way back

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Only time I've been on Georgian Bay was going to Henry's years ago. Looked awfully dark & ominous to the west if ask me...

People think it's cold in T.O. this weekend:

963581024_TorontoForecast.JPG.01158a6c69f7f0dc34e6b5901bc8993e.JPG

I think that's just spring for folks up north:

142819230_KapForecast.JPG.9c34752a67aace5b183e53de599bafdf.JPG

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Only time I've been on Georgian Bay was going to Henry's years ago. Looked awfully dark & ominous to the west if ask me...

People think it's cold in T.O. this weekend:

963581024_TorontoForecast.JPG.01158a6c69f7f0dc34e6b5901bc8993e.JPG

I think that's just spring for folks up north:

142819230_KapForecast.JPG.9c34752a67aace5b183e53de599bafdf.JPG

And that is why you would never find me living in Kapuskasing. The other side of it is that during the summer the mosquitos show up on aircraft radar.

-22 on the truck read out earlier this morning,  was not bad, face area took a few miles to adjust to the cold while riding out of kinmount....than felt fine.

Funny how the body works.

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

-22 on the truck read out earlier this morning,  was not bad, face area took a few miles to adjust to the cold while riding out of kinmount....than felt fine.

Funny how the body works.

That feeling fine may be the frost bite setting in.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

That feeling fine may be the frost bite setting in.

Lol....no, I'm good.

Same thing each year when I first get out, my mx helmet let's in a lot more air, kind of like ac in winter, head and face feel cool, than all good.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

And that is why you would never find me living in Kapuskasing. The other side of it is that during the summer the mosquitos show up on aircraft radar.

My point being is that the GTA has a couple of days of actually cold weather & everyone freaks out about it. I remember in 2000, helping to push a sled across the parking lot in Hornepayne as the track was frozen, -29* C

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

My point being is that the GTA has a couple of days of actually cold weather & everyone freaks out about it. I remember in 2000, helping to push a sled across the parking lot in Hornepayne as the track was frozen, -29* C

You won't find me freaking out about the cold or the snow... I just came in from shoveling the light 2 inches of snow off the driveway. I will admit I put the ear flaps down on my hat though. I just wouldn't choose to live where the temperatures hit those extremes.

It's all relative of what you are used to. A friend of mine lived in rural Oklahoma for about 10 years. Protocol was if you were going to town you would check with your immediate neighbours to see if they needed anything. One time he called a neighbour to inquire. The response... are you crazy? Going to town? It's snowing! You're crazy! My friend lived most of his life north of Toronto and just prior to his move to Oklahoma lived in Dundalk area. He told his neighbour the 2 inches of snow wouldn't have slowed him down back home and off he went to town.

Another time he sent me a page from the newspaper. Snow Storm Cripples Oklahoma City. The picture showed one of their snow crew. Too good old boys in the back of a pickup shoveling sand out on the road.

41 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

You won't find me freaking out about the cold or the snow... I just came in from shoveling the light 2 inches of snow off the driveway. I will admit I put the ear flaps down on my hat though. I just wouldn't choose to live where the temperatures hit those extremes.

It's all relative of what you are used to. A friend of mine lived in rural Oklahoma for about 10 years. Protocol was if you were going to town you would check with your immediate neighbours to see if they needed anything. One time he called a neighbour to inquire. The response... are you crazy? Going to town? It's snowing! You're crazy! My friend lived most of his life north of Toronto and just prior to his move to Oklahoma lived in Dundalk area. He told his neighbour the 2 inches of snow wouldn't have slowed him down back home and off he went to town.

Another time he sent me a page from the newspaper. Snow Storm Cripples Oklahoma City. The picture showed one of their snow crew. Too good old boys in the back of a pickup shoveling sand out on the road.

A co-worker of my father's said the same thing about Atlanta in the 70s. I recall seeing a INDOT yard near Indy back in the 80s, didn't look any different than an MTO yard here. Mind you I don't know how much highway they had to maintain.

I crossed the Texas panhandle in NM back in late November 1997, and drove into snow. 

I had LT tires on the B class motorhome, so I thought nothing of it, despite the trucks, cars, and even the odd emergency vehicle down the interstate embankments, and the general lack of traffic. 

Then I came across what I (almost too late) discovered to be a road block. 

I was berated, and my mental integrity was brought into question, especially when I mentioned my desire to continue west. 

There had to be 3" of snow. 

I-40 was closed for 3 days. 

I spent the next 72 hours in Tucumcari NM. Camped in a friendly restaurant owners parking lot. They were convinced we were going to die. 

Interesting town, a monument to Route 66. 

4 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I crossed the Texas panhandle in NM back in late November 1997, and drove into snow. 

I had LT tires on the B class motorhome, so I thought nothing of it, despite the trucks, cars, and even the odd emergency vehicle down the interstate embankments, and the general lack of traffic. 

Then I came across what I (almost too late) discovered to be a road block. 

I was berated, and my mental integrity was brought into question, especially when I mentioned my desire to continue west

There had to be 3" of snow. 

I-40 was closed for 3 days. 

I spent the next 72 hours in Tucumcari NM. Camped in a friendly restaurant owners parking lot. They were convinced we were going to die. 

Interesting town, a monument to Route 66. 

A friend probably thought the same thing of me during a return trip from Elliot Lake to Apsley back in '85. The Readers Digest version is we left up there around 3 PM & I backed the truck & trailer into the driveway here about 2 AM.

Archived