Invest in locks!

Baylaker

Seems to be happening an awful lot lately. I’ve always locked up my rear ramp, man door and 2 locks on the tongue of all my trailers. Definitely considering a wheel lock now for my trailers. As if my key chain isn’t big enough already, let’s add another key!

https://www.nugget.ca/news/local-news/opp-digest-snowmobiles-stolen-hwy-17-racing/amp

If you are buying locks I believe you should spend a few extra bucks and get a shrouded lock similar to below. They make bolt cutters all but useless. More  $ than a regular lock but way less than your insurance deductible. Not sure the one pictured would work on typical enclosed trailer door clasps but there are other styles that would for sure. This one fits the tongue latch on my trailer.

SHROUDED PADLOCK.jpg

8 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Seems to be happening an awful lot lately. I’ve always locked up my rear ramp, man door and 2 locks on the tongue of all my trailers. Definitely considering a wheel lock now for my trailers. As if my key chain isn’t big enough already, let’s add another key!

https://www.nugget.ca/news/local-news/opp-digest-snowmobiles-stolen-hwy-17-racing/amp

I have two locks on the coupler, the ramp is locked, the man and fuel doors and a clamp on wheel lock. Hoping it's enough to get them to look for something easier. When parked and hooked to the truck the I also have a lockable hitch pin to for the draw bar in the receiver of the truck. They are actually on sale in the current flyer from Princess Auto. I learned about this one at the Coldwater arena a few years ago. A guy parked nearby came in off the trail, loaded up his sled and went to leave. The draw bar pulled out of the truck receiver. He had a lock on the coupler. He saw a pickup take off from beside his truck and trailer as he came out off the trail and into the lot. It seems there have been a few where the crooks lower the front wheel jack, push the trailer back and insert the draw bar into their truck and drive off.

I have a lockable hitch pin for the draw bar, but how can you lock the tongue to the ball? Even if you have a lock on the latch it's easy to reach under with a socket & ratchet to release the hitch from the ball. Ideas?

10 minutes ago, XTC500 said:

I have a lockable hitch pin for the draw bar, but how can you lock the tongue to the ball? Even if you have a lock on the latch it's easy to reach under with a socket & ratchet to release the hitch from the ball. Ideas?

The lock goes through the hole in the coupler when you close it. Yes the crook can unbolt it from the bottom but of the coupler... but that takes time. Then the crook needs to reassemble the mechanism once they push the trailer to their truck and drop it onto their hitch ball. The longer it takes the more likely they are to pick on someone else's trailer. Laying on the ground doing this may tend to draw unwanted attention that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

With cordless grinders that are reasonable priced no lock is safe or the assembly the lock is covering. Easy to cut off to gain access.

Picture shows a device to prevent this or slow them down a little.

Locks are only to keep the honest out.

If they want your trailer they just have to hook up chains to the hitch and let it hang from the receiver. Drive away to more isolated location and take their time to open trailer. Tire immobilizer would slow down theft but make sure it covers the lug nuts.

What would be nice is an affordable GPS tracker that activates once trailer is stolen.

Jerry

image.png.f775250b1ee3998dfed34c0bfb851867.png

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

With cordless grinders that are reasonable priced no lock is safe or the assembly the lock is covering. Easy to cut off to gain access.

Picture shows a device to prevent this or slow them down a little.

Locks are only to keep the honest out.

If they want your trailer they just have to hook up chains to the hitch and let it hang from the receiver. Drive away to more isolated location and take their time to open trailer. Tire immobilizer would slow down theft but make sure it covers the lug nuts.

What would be nice is an affordable GPS tracker that activates once trailer is stolen.

Jerry

image.png.f775250b1ee3998dfed34c0bfb851867.png

GPS locator like this one?   https://www.cabelas.ca/product/109852?productVariantId=302450&gclid=Cj0KCQiApvbhBRDXARIsALnNoK1zzUiAWm7okHYjHfhNTYcCMbyeYqa0LUCo8kkB88ywAEPVOzchi7EaAl3MEALw_wcB

The Trace, like other SPOT products requires a subscription.  IIRC, $150 / year USD.

Or, just show up with the biggest POS in the yard and leave the keys in it...

5 hours ago, XTC500 said:

Put a bead of weld around the exposed threads close to the bottom.

7 hours ago, zoso said:

Put a bead of weld around the exposed threads close to the bottom.

PLP construction adhesive will also work if the right conditions (warm) exist for curing.

Couple of obvious thieves found with critical injuries on national news would go a long way.

On that, I heard from a neighbor of mine who had his house burgled over the weekend.

First weekend his tow rig and trailer was out of the driveway.

13 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Couple of obvious thieves found with critical injuries on national news would go a long way.

On that, I heard from a neighbor of mine who had his house burgled over the weekend.

First weekend his tow rig and trailer was out of the driveway.

That really is advertising eh?

"Don't put it on F/B that you are taking off"

But this is even more evident.

This is never ending. In many cases it's only 2 bolts holding the entire trailer hitch coupler to the trailer tongue. I wouldn't mind tacking those bolts with weld. But not so keen about welding the threads on the bottom of the coupler.

46 minutes ago, XTC500 said:

This is never ending. In many cases it's only 2 bolts holding the entire trailer hitch coupler to the trailer tongue. I wouldn't mind tacking those bolts with weld. But not so keen about welding the threads on the bottom of the coupler.

Why not weld the ball threads? Personally, I do not worry much, that is why I buy insurance, so I do not have to worry.

I find even without welding that the threads are welded on after a few road trips. 

I'm sure insurance is great for peace of mind, until you make a claim.

Or gawd forbid a second one.

3 hours ago, zoso said:

Why not weld the ball threads? Personally, I do not worry much, that is why I buy insurance, so I do not have to worry.

Un-doing the ball nut at the bottom got me out of a jam once when I lost the key for the lock on the latch.

Archived