POLICE OUT TO MUFFLE MODIFIED SNOWMOBILE EXHAUST SYSTEMS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

2 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Bikers have been getting away with loud exhaust systems for decades. Kinda amazed that the cops don,t seem to have the whatever, to get these guys off of the roads, where they are driving within feet of houses, for miles and miles at a time. Are bikers harder to deal with than sledders ? Why cann,t they fix that problem, that has been around for decades, and affects way more people than loud sleds, driven in the country ?

Exactly and pissing off far more people too!  

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My buddy got charged for pipes too loud on his Harley a couple of years ago within the Town of Caledon on 124 one corner east of Hwy 10. The police were there but it was a municipal bylaw infraction charge laid by the Town's bylaw officer who was also there I believe. 

We have many large groups of biker A holes drive thru our nice waterfront town all summer long, with only 1 main street that is part of the hwy.

Those groups of 10-15 bikes rattle the store front windows, and if you happen to be trapped on the street as they go by, you can actually feel your ear drums vibrate, and it is painful. I don,t like noisy sled mufflers either, but at least their sound gets muffled some by the snow on the trails.

21 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

We have many large groups of biker A holes drive thru our nice waterfront town all summer long, with only 1 main street that is part of the hwy.

Those groups of 10-15 bikes rattle the store front windows, and if you happen to be trapped on the street as they go by, you can actually feel your ear drums vibrate, and it is painful. I don,t like noisy sled mufflers either, but at least their sound gets muffled some by the snow on the trails.

But there so cool revving the crap outta their bikes nodding to themselves at traffic lights! Here in wasaga they have a bike rally every year,we try to be outta town for that one.

54 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

My buddy got charged for pipes too loud on his Harley a couple of years ago within the Town of Caledon on 124 one corner east of Hwy 10. The police were there but it was a municipal bylaw infraction charge laid by the Town's bylaw officer who was also there I believe. 

I seem to recall seeing on TV that Peel Region was doing sound checks like Ski' described on bikes. Never heard anything since about effectiveness.

The "Boat Cops" which is the Branch County Sheriff's Department on the chains of lakes where I live in Michigan do carry hand held meters and test sound levels of boats.  A number of years ago the jet boat and v-drive type racing boats with open headers became the rage.  The enforcement of sound restrictions quickly saw baffles installed in most of the pipes and were quite noticeable.  That quickly ended the open headers.  The test was conducted from a short distance behind the boat being tested as it accelerated at "full throttle".  I am pretty sure very few were truly at full throttle, but most failed the test anyway. 

In Quebec it's illegal to operate a road bike with any aftermarket exhaust. That eliminates any gray areas.

It's enforced.

You won't have the "Hardly Experience" Frostynutz described in a small tourist oriented Quebec town.

Just like from the sledding sector, they UNDERSTAND tourism.  Idiots on noisy conveyances contribute nothing to the economy.

In Ontario, rules are enforced selectively. 

We have nobody but ourselves to blame. 

Our government makes the rules, we pay to have them enforced, enforcement looks the other way.

A DB meter that can be calibrated can be had for ~$80. 

All the off road motorbike events have them. 

Ski muffler is amazing comes at a price for it.

I don't ride at night and if we come back in late we are barely over idle in town not to disturb people.

if there going to enforce it ask people that complain  where and what time and go sit at there house or near by and get the young kids on the old triple that tears through town at 50 mph at midnight.

Why punish everyone for a few bad apples? go and pick out the bad apples and make the dam pie (hmm sounds pretty american LOL)

11 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Actually sound carries further during the winter.

1 hour ago, RT Performance said:

Ski muffler is amazing comes at a price for it.

I don't ride at night and if we come back in late we are barely over idle in town not to disturb people.

if there going to enforce it ask people that complain  where and what time and go sit at there house or near by and get the young kids on the old triple that tears through town at 50 mph at midnight.

Why punish everyone for a few bad apples? go and pick out the bad apples and make the dam pie (hmm sounds pretty american LOL)

It's easier...

That being said I had a neighbour who's backyard just about cornered mine. He'd fire up his dresser mid-morning, turn on the stereo & let it warm up for about 15 minutes. Sufficiently warmed up he'd blat blat out the neighbourhood.

Then there was the night ranger. He must've worked a night shift as every night around 1 he'd roar thru the subdivision on his Harley to avoid a major intersection west of there.

Noise and speed in residential areas are by far the biggest complaint our club has. It's getting worse. And yet, every ride I've been on (including grooming), I've come across multiple sleds with cans. So many of these guys are only worried about the OPP and the potential fine.....how about the trails that are closing?

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it is so frustrating as a club volunteer.

CTV news had a report on the enforcement currently under way. They reported 24 charges laid for modified exhaust. About 1/3 of all the sleds checked. Hopefully they keep it up. If they do I wonder how many repeat offenders they will find.

A friend of our just bought a new to him Renegade. It came with a can installed but the seller also gave him the original exhaust as well. First day with the new sled he thought perhaps it didn't sound too loud. That is until one of our riding buddies who has the identical sled with the original exhaust had him stand on the deck of his cottage and listen to each of the two sled run past. No hesitation, easy decision, the can is now gone and the original exhaust back in place.

We have a neighbour across the street who will soon be deaf if he isn't already 3/4 their. You can hear the stereo in his car well before he gets to his driveway. The bass is enough to rattle our front windows as he pulls in or out.

I have to put up with one idiot that typically runs our rural road in the evening with his exhaust can blatting away as he purposely revs it too.  The other night he went by ( pretty sure its him) at 3:30 am and woke me up.....and you hear him for at least a mile past our place.  The thought of my shotgun and birdshot went thru my mind , but I thought better...……….but I suspect I will confront him or follow him in my truck this winter, if he does not get caught by OPP that frequents our road once every blue moon. Frustrating because sound travels so much more in winter and at that time of night you know there was drinking too. 

11 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

I have to put up with one idiot that typically runs our rural road in the evening with his exhaust can blatting away as he purposely revs it too.  The other night he went by ( pretty sure its him) at 3:30 am and woke me up.....and you hear him for at least a mile past our place.  The thought of my shotgun and birdshot went thru my mind , but I thought better...……….but I suspect I will confront him or follow him in my truck this winter, if he does not get caught by OPP that frequents our road once every blue moon. Frustrating because sound travels so much more in winter and at that time of night you know there was drinking too. 

How about a paint ball gun? Splatter him and the sled.

I am with Wild Bill on the music of the ZRT triple triple. I bought the second of two ZRT 600 sleds and when I went to look at it, there was a can on it. It still wasn't as loud as my stock 1998 ZRT 600 but it was too noisy for a 2001. I asked about the stock exhaust. He said he had it in the basement. I said I won't buy the sled unless the stock exhaust comes with it. He handed it over, I bought the sled and sold the can. That was the sled that the Bracebridge OPP held back because it had a Modfather sticker on it. The 1998 was waved through. Figure that out.

23 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Where do you come up with such stupid ideas ?

You call it stupid I call it kidding... he had mentioned a shot gun and bird shot.

My personal option aside: I have always personally considered the section regarding muffler’s unclear within the Snowmobile Act.  Maybe it is just me but what part says aftermarket muffler is not allowed.  I see where a straight pipe can’t be installed.

Equipment requirements

Muffler in working order

18 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1).

Removing or modifying any component

(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

3 minutes ago, Fox said:

My personal option aside: I have always personally considered the section regarding muffler’s unclear within the Snowmobile Act.  Maybe it is just me but what part says aftermarket muffler is not allowed.  I see where a straight pipe can’t be installed.

Equipment requirements

Muffler in working order

18 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation and no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle which has a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon the motorized snow vehicle.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (1).

(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

You can't remove modify or render inoperative the original

Ya. I guess that is it 02,   Guess that could also mean, handlebar risers, any aftermarket skis or carbides might fall into the same boat.

I guess I just like the idea of measuring the sound level vs saying no aftermarket.

Cans are stupid, period. Too loud exhausts are not for trail riding.

I dont think this is a major police issue though. We all know who puts cans and pipes on their sleds and why and lets face it, we were all young once too. The more we make this a legal issue and go all absolute on the problem the more we drive the youth towards rebellion. Think long haired hippes vs get a haircut and a job parenting. We need to encourage respectful behavior by FIRST being respectful ourselves. We will NOT serve any public net benefit by going totalitarian my way or the highway with anyone. Once you remove your approval and alienate a person or group what do they have to lose by cranking things up a few notches WORSE? Nothing.

Please be smart and set a good example and try and educate instead of regulate.

Remember, there will always be some issue to deal with. Its never going to go away or completely be gone EVER. How we handle and deal with these issues is what defines who we are, and how are future will be. Tolerance and education are tied together in perpetuity

I've been pulled over a few times and had my exhaust questioned...  I have a 100% stock Yamaha Nytro and the cops think because the pipe comes out he back of my sled (under the seat) then its gotta be a mod.  I haven't got a ticket, but had so called warnings.  Such a joke. The cops they have out to check on sleds know nothing about sleds. 

19 minutes ago, GibsonNytro said:

I've been pulled over a few times and had my exhaust questioned...  I have a 100% stock Yamaha Nytro and the cops think because the pipe comes out he back of my sled (under the seat) then its gotta be a mod.  I haven't got a ticket, but had so called warnings.  Such a joke. The cops they have out to check on sleds know nothing about sleds. 

I haven't had any 'know nothings' as a hunting friend would call them. Some will ask questions, but nothing that would be deemed stupid. I've had a couple of chats w/ them including 1 interrupted when they had to write up a guy that wasn't compliant. He should've known better, but couldn't keep his yap shut. (his buddy wasn't impressed w/ him either LOL)

I met them north of Apsley 1 day & the 1 chap was kind of giving the sled the once over about where the permit was. I pointed @ the dash & then explained to them that the w/s could be removed quite easily. They were fine w/ that.

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Ya. I guess that is it 02,   Guess that could also mean, handlebar risers, any aftermarket skis or carbides might fall into the same boat.

I guess I just like the idea of measuring the sound level vs saying no aftermarket.

The qualifying verbiage is "required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada)" While it does refer to the muffler system I am not sure that it would refer to skis or carbides or risers. It may not.

As much as I hate the loud cans, I cannot find a section of the MSVA that prohibits aftermarket exhausts.  The cops always quote the section aluded to above about removing or modifying any component..  This states components required by MVSA.  Exhaust is NOT listed as a safety item in this act. 

Also, for Panther's benefit, my 90 Volvo Turbo had a 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back with the cat and muffler.  My daughter could hear me coming home about 2 Km before I got home. :-)   Sounded sweet :lol:

Archived