POLICE OUT TO MUFFLE MODIFIED SNOWMOBILE EXHAUST SYSTEMS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Noise complaints about snowmobiles on OFSC trails in our region have police out enforcing the law that prohibits the use of modified exhaust systems that make that noise.

Modified mufflers legal, but only on private land or on a race track.

Timmins Police Const. Troy Larose says most of the noise complaints are from landowners who allow snowmobiles to use their property as part of the trail system.

“These private residents that allow them onto their property are going to get to the point where they don’t want to allow them anymore with the noise,” Larose comments,” and ruining it for everybody else, right?”

Timmins-Const.-Troy-Larose-in-snowmobile

Const. Troy Larose, Timmins Police Service. Photo credit: Bob McIntyre, Moose FM

Larose says the penalty is a $110.00 fine, under the provincial Motorized Snow Vehicles Act.

“We still have a few months left within the winter and we will be out here on weekends and throughout the week, continuing enforcement.”

Up for debate between the police officers and snowmobilers is whether a modified exhaust provides any benefits, such as increased power.

Good for them!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Poo Man said:

Great to hear about enforcement that actually helps our sport:smil9:

If it's the Timmins cops enforcing that part of the MSV Act, I doubt it's a province-wide initiative.

The OPP are too busy playing Blue Thunder w/ their chopper...

Far too many people think that it is ok to put a loud can on their sled. To me a triple triple with stingers on it sounds like a symphony, but the fact is, loud pipes hurt us all and are simply not acceptable at any time on our trails, even in the middle of nowhere. 

7 minutes ago, zoso said:

Far too many people think that it is ok to put a loud can on their sled. To me a triple triple with stingers on it sounds like a symphony, but the fact is, loud pipes hurt us all and are simply not acceptable at any time on our trails, even in the middle of nowhere. 

Plus it is questionable if they provide any HP gain.

I have a rule at our camp. If you have a can on machine, your not welcome. Same goes for no permit. I will not ride with or be around those that have so little respect for the landowners that allow this system in the first place. 

Last year the OPP were writing tickets for load pipes in Moonbean

50 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Every aftermarket company that had tried to make a power increasing exhaust has seen the dyno sheets. Not one single can available increases HP. In fact, every one of them reduces power by 5 to 10 hp.

diamond S quiet can, certified to be 88db's. no loss in hp (actually gained), quieter than most stock systems. some cans are quiet but, some people just want a can to be loud. i understand the loud cans closing riding areas but, they really need a db test (like some states, inc Mich) to weed out the bad seeds, instead of a blanket zero tolerance.  Ski

36 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

diamond S quiet can, certified to be 88db's. no loss in hp (actually gained), quieter than most stock systems. some cans are quiet but, some people just want a can to be loud. i understand the loud cans closing riding areas but, they really need a db test (like some states, inc Mich) to weed out the bad seeds, instead of a blanket zero tolerance.  Ski

Would that can cost more than others? The only 'benefit' of the others that can can see would be the potential weight savings.

X2 on the db test. From my limited reading the testing in thr real world isnt that easy.

Ski have you had your sled(s) stopped & had the sound levels checked?

7 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

I miss my ZRT based Pantera it sounded super cool and was dead stock

Years ago we listened to a sled approach for a few minutes. Thought it had a can Then a ZRT pulled up to the road crossing where we were having a break.

If we ALL refused to ride with noisemakers and trespassers and litterers, the problem would be virtually solved.

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Would that can cost more than others? The only 'benefit' of the others that can can see would be the potential weight savings.

X2 on the db test. From my limited reading the testing in thr real world isnt that easy.

Ski have you had your sled(s) stopped & had the sound levels checked?

havent had one tested in real world, personally. it is one of the most expensive cans out there. stainless is approx 6 pounds, titanium is approx 3 pounds, stocker over 20 lbs.

also, what would vintage people doo, if their pipe, can from the oem rusted through and was only available in the aftermarket? zero tolerance doesnt always work well.

Ski

12 hours ago, revrnd said:

If it's the Timmins cops enforcing that part of the MSV Act, I doubt it's a province-wide initiative.

My son had found a post somewhere that the Timmins officer was working with an OPP originally from Hearst.  This particular OPP has the habit of being involved in patrols where a political statement is being said ... for example, being 50 miles North of Highway 11 at Pagwa during moose season fining hunters on ATV's with no helmets, every ATV rally around here fining people for no helmets, open booze, etc., people ice fishing with beer on the lake, etc.  All things that are illegal and justifiable fines, but since everyone here hates him anyway, what the hell ....

8 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

We've all been on forums where the question of the day is................... who makes the loudest can for my sled???

For sure hurts all of us.

If the businesses would smarten up too, it wouldn't hurt.  "Any vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust will NOT BE SERVICED HERE".  "No Aftermarket Exhaust sled owners will be served here" etc.  If I personally was the owner of a business, I'd be all in on this.  It would only hurt your business for a very short period, until people needing service get turned away once.  

It has to start with the sled dealerships saying "No" to cans, we will not sell them.  Then move it up the chain to atv's, bikes, etc.

16 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

My son had found a post somewhere that the Timmins officer was working with an OPP originally from Hearst.  This particular OPP has the habit of being involved in patrols where a political statement is being said ... for example, being 50 miles North of Highway 11 at Pagwa during moose season fining hunters on ATV's with no helmets, every ATV rally around here fining people for no helmets, open booze, etc., people ice fishing with beer on the lake, etc.  All things that are illegal and justifiable fines, but since everyone here hates him anyway, what the hell ....

If the businesses would smarten up too, it wouldn't hurt.  "Any vehicle with an aftermarket exhaust will NOT BE SERVICED HERE".  "No Aftermarket Exhaust sled owners will be served here" etc.  If I personally was the owner of a business, I'd be all in on this.  It would only hurt your business for a very short period, until people needing service get turned away once.  

It has to start with the sled dealerships saying "No" to cans, we will not sell them.  Then move it up the chain to atv's, bikes, etc.

Kudos to the police for ridding the trails of nuisance can equipped sleds. Louder is not impressive to anyone. Next they could start on the Harley’s that are running the roads with their baffleless exhaust systems. 

Bikers have been getting away with loud exhaust systems for decades. Kinda amazed that the cops don,t seem to have the whatever, to get these guys off of the roads, where they are driving within feet of houses, for miles and miles at a time. Are bikers harder to deal with than sledders ? Why cann,t they fix that problem, that has been around for decades, and affects way more people than loud sleds, driven in the country ?

32 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Bikers have been getting away with loud exhaust systems for decades. Kinda amazed that the cops don,t seem to have the whatever, to get these guys off of the roads, where they are driving within feet of houses, for miles and miles at a time. Are bikers harder to deal with than sledders ? Why cann,t they fix that problem, that has been around for decades, and affects way more people than loud sleds, driven in the country ?

Police do enforce loud pipes on bikes. I know from experience! However, far more bikes on the road then sleds on the trails. 

Snowmobilers with loud pipes on their sleds are going by peoples houses 3AM and waking them up 

They scream past the houses The homeowner and landowners are sick of it.

A lot of snowmobilers respect the home owners and quietly wait for an open place to let it go but when you get one or two people

let it go 3AM besides someones house its not fair.

So its an easy ticket for OPP There have been many complaints from landowners who are nice enough to open their properties to the snowmobiles clubs.

They close the trail and no more snowmobiles. Simple solution. Not good for us snowmobilers.

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

Don't you know... the only thing you need for more HP are Monster stickers

13 hours ago, skidooboy said:

havent had one tested in real world, personally. it is one of the most expensive cans out there. stainless is approx 6 pounds, titanium is approx 3 pounds, stocker over 20 lbs.

also, what would vintage people doo, if their pipe, can from the oem rusted through and was only available in the aftermarket? zero tolerance doesnt always work well.

Ski

I rode with ski just over a week ago and he had the aftermarket baffled can.  It was NOT loud, but did save over 20 lbs. 

I asked him about the can as I am interested in a much lighter yet quiet system.

I had a stock system on my 2008 Crossfire 1000 which melted my side panel and was replaced.  The replacement started to melt the new panel and I was forced to replace the can with a baffled aftermarket unit.  It was louder, but not like most that are ear splitting.

Aftermarket with no sound level issue should never be a problem.

The loudest and most carrying sound from any sled including those with loud exhaust systems is the track when at high speed!

The drone of the track is the only sound you will hear at distance.

14 hours ago, Crow said:

But what about the solid argument that "loud pipes saves lives", and they "scare wildlife off of the trail". LOL.

BS

13 hours ago, manotickmike said:

If we ALL refused to ride with noisemakers and trespassers and litterers, the problem would be virtually solved.

I know I won't ride with anyone that does. A couple of years ago at a common stop point I saw one guy finish his beer and throw the can on the ground. I told him he forgot something and put it in his storage bag he had taken it out of.

13 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Ski

So someone can save 14 lbs... that must be a real concern, especially for the guy who weighs in at 230 lbs with his beer belly.

3 hours ago, snapper said:

Kudos to the police for ridding the trails of nuisance can equipped sleds. Louder is not impressive to anyone. Next they could start on the Harley’s that are running the roads with their baffleless exhaust systems. 

I often wonder who these people think they are impressing. We have a kid on our street who seems to think he's impressing someone. He backs out of the driveway and has this need to squeal his tires as he takes off. Nobody is impressed, they just shake their heads and think what an idiot.

Archived