BAD LUCK

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Just saw this on another forum. Posted @ 7:34 AM this morning. Didn't say where the trailer was parked. Can't be too careful.
Trailer broke into in Cochran

Just giving everyone a heads up here. Buddy of mine is in Cochran and there trailer was broken into and all there gear was stolen. Jackets,bibs,boots,etc. they had locks on the trailer but that didn't stop them from using bolt cutter. Scum bags to say the least

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:
Just saw this on another forum. Posted @ 7:34 AM this morning. Didn't say where the trailer was parked. Can't be too careful.

Just giving everyone a heads up here. Buddy of mine is in Cochran and there trailer was broken into and all there gear was stolen. Jackets,bibs,boots,etc. they had locks on the trailer but that didn't stop them from using bolt cutter. Scum bags to say the least

This is where I think they have it right in parts of the middle east. Convicted thieves lose fingers and hands.

8 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

This is where I think they have it right in parts of the middle east. Convicted thieves lose fingers and hands.

Right hand removed for stealing... making them eat with their left hand - and you know what else they do with their left hand ? lol

I wouldn't have thought there was much resale value on slolen clothing! Where would they sell it anyway? Kijiji? Pawn shop? 

Hope they have pictures and the perpetrators get caught somehow!

1 hour ago, Toyman said:

I wouldn't have thought there was much resale value on slolen clothing! Where would they sell it anyway? Kijiji? Pawn shop? 

Hope they have pictures and the perpetrators get caught somehow!

I know what your saying about the used clothing , never thought of it as a lucrative market but I did see a couple stealing balaclavas . Must be money in it I guess .

Desperate times, desperate people..... 

Would be interesting to know the location as well.

Always stayed at the Westway and had great experiences, found the parking area to be somewhat open and in general a busy location being right on the main drag, across from a gas station and beside the Timmies, so lots of exposure which might make it a bit harder for one to get away unnoticed, but flip side, your stuff is also in sight by many more curious people.....   

I’m at the westway this weekend and haven’t heard anything about an issu here..  Your right the Parking is open and well lit.  Would be hard for something to happen unnoticed.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Just curious, would you approach a group of guys cutting a lock off of a trailer, if it wasn,t yours ? 

Yup!

Most thieves are lazy cowards they would scatter . Yes I have ran thieves off .

Likely the police would show up in time to issue a report # for insurance purposes.

I do what I'd like someone to do on my behalf if it were my stuff. 

3 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Just curious, would you approach a group of guys cutting a lock off of a trailer, if it wasn,t yours ? 

Hard to say, depends on if it looks their trailer or not, if they’re in a rush or not. They could be the owners tryin to get in to their own trailer. Some thieves can remain calm in any situation and fit right in to the crowd...too many variables 

23 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Which forum?

Although most thieves would just run, nowadays, people are becoming more crazy and violent.  Call the cops, ask for an approximate ETA, grab license plate # if they have a vehicle, grab cell phone to record video and yell at them asking what they are doing.  Do not approach.  Whatever stuff they are after, it's replaceable but you aren't.

If it happens to be the owner trying to get in, I'm sure they'll appreciate that others are looking out for them.  The more we do this, the less thieves will be tempted.  We also have to take responsibility for our own actions and take measures to make it less tempting as possible for thieves.  That's the reason I'll trailer all the way to North Bay to park my truck and trailer at my son's rather than leaving it for several days in some unknown parking location.  And I don't leave anything in the trailer and leave it unlocked to show there is nothing inside.  Might not be an option for a big toy hauler though.

Something I just thought of.  You could put a dash cam attached to the rear window set to activate on movement.  Might catch a face.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Which forum?

HCS

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

HCS

I just checked & saw that you asked what a lot of us were thinking. I havent been on HCS in years.

9 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

I would. if they did not run, most thieves will, if they continued, then you could tell in a couple of seconds if they were legit or spinning a tale as to what they were doing and why. Thieves are usually cowards.

I have a large shrouded lock (similar to the one below) and a large diameter hard steel gold coloured chain that I have used for years to tie motorcycles or sleds together when they were in my storage van as well as a second similar lock for the roll up door of the van. Guess it works since I never had a theft issue and the van was in a secluded yet visible non fenced area for many years.

I'm not sure mine would work on a typical sled trailer door latch but there are shrouded locks available that would work. They cost much less than most theft insurance deductible amounts. If you keep them dry and put them on the trailer when you arrive at your destination there shouldn't be any issues unlocking them later. Since a bolt cutter is virtually useless on them, I expect most thieves would look at the lock and move on to a trailer with an easier lock to cut which is all  really need to happen.

SHROUDED PADLOCK.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Yup...  call the cops and take a few pictures too. Most crooks would run as soon as they think they are being caught. Who said it was a group by the way. Could well have been just one person.

Archived