Rap tour not completely availabe yet

hancop

Hi everyone I noticed that the clubs have been working hard to complete the rap tour trails but one 6 km section north of Haliburton running east west is still red and is all that is needed to complete the circle.

This is a section of the B trail where B and B103 meet at county road 14 going over towards Bushwolf lake. 

Anyone know what is going on there ? Is any club working on it ? Although it is red is it passable and anyone know what is making it red ?

thanks

Not sure what's with that section.  They might be keeping it closed to keep people off the end of moose lake where there having issues.  If the did open that small 6 k section there would be an alternate route to complete the rap.

25 minutes ago, gobills said:

Not sure what's with that section.  They might be keeping it closed to keep people off the end of moose lake where there having issues.  If the did open that small 6 k section there would be an alternate route to complete the rap.

What are the issues with Moose lake? Is trail 10 closed for the Time being or expected to open soon? We regularly do that loop thru the park and back around the south back into MLSS trails. Thanks. 

Think its a landowner issue.

1 hour ago, hancop said:

Hi everyone I noticed that the clubs have been working hard to complete the rap tour trails but one 6 km section north of Haliburton running east west is still red and is all that is needed to complete the circle.

This is a section of the B trail where B and B103 meet at county road 14 going over towards Bushwolf lake. 

Anyone know what is going on there ? Is any club working on it ? Although it is red is it passable and anyone know what is making it red ?

thanks

Red means not available for use.

1 hour ago, hancop said:

thanks

Landowner issue and Logging. If people trespass they will lose this valued piece of trail. It's a volatile situation...

6 minutes ago, hancop said:

It is now showing open 

That's the section that was being logged. 

10 minutes ago, snapper said:

The Seguin is seeing lots of traffic and it is red.

Justification??  If the red area near Haliburton (or anywhere else) is due to land owner issues as has been eluded to , people riding on it may well end the trail being there permanently.  People riding red trails are gambling with the future  of trail existence for all sledders.

38 minutes ago, snapper said:

I was on the Sequin a few years ago with the atv for the Extreme ride and it was rough as hell. It's amazing what a foot or two of snow will do to level out a trail. It might be passable with minimal snow but it wouldn't be fun. Chances are it isn't particularly safe yet either.

6 hours ago, hancop said:

thanks

Could be lots of things such as a landowner saying sorry but stay off my property. Possibly due to people riding the trail when it's closed.

6 hours ago, snapper said:

We were once at Wild Bills place for a visit, on our way to the North, and we stopped in at the petro at the end of the sequin, and that  trail had been red for a while, and the petro was full of sleds coming off the sequin..:rotflmao:.. 

No cure for stupid...

10 hours ago, hancop said:

It is now showing open 

Don't see that.  Looking forward to doing the RAP again, didn't get it in the last couple of years.

15 minutes ago, Toyman said:

Don't see that.  Looking forward to doing the RAP again, didn't get it in the last couple of years.

It was the small 6 k section from the b103 yo where the b and e meet

I still see that section closed. Hancop said it was open and I have had some issues with the ITG lately.

Just checked. It is open now on ITG.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, signfan said:

Hopefully Redstone and Jennissis freeze soon.  That would complete the loop.

Redstone and Kennisis are staked. I brushed and packed Trail 62 from Kennisis to 64 this weekend

4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Redstone and Kennisis are staked. I brushed and packed Trail 62 from Kennisis to 64 this weekend

Not to put you on the spot, but do you think 11 across Kennisis and 62 will be open by Thursday? No landowner issues in that stretch, are there? This makes a large difference to our Thursday route on the RAP. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

20 minutes ago, tricky said:

Not to put you on the spot, but do you think 11 across Kennisis and 62 will be open by Thursday? No landowner issues in that stretch, are there? This makes a large difference to our Thursday route on the RAP. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

No landowner issues along that route

My guess is that 62 will be groomed now that it is packed and Kennisis is staked.  By Sunday I would bet 50 sleds had been using that trail.

Trail 64 was mint

Stonehaven, thanks a lot for the info. I know what now what I wanted to know.

Stonehaven, I thanked you for your info, and thanks again. Now thank you for the great job in brushing and packing trail 62 off Kennisis Lake to 64. That is a rocky, twisty, up and down, tight trail that obviously needs snow and someone pushing that snow into the right places to fill all the holes. My riding partner and I were able to leave the B trail to use 11, 62, 64, 68, 63 to D101B to Kearney. We rode this yesterday as the last leg of our Emsdale to Emsdale clockwise RAP tour. Because we stayed, fueled and had breakfast in Whitney (kudos to Algonquin East Gate Motel and Mushers restaurant), we had no reason to want to travel to Haliburton, which trail closures across H. Lake and thru Eagle Lake made difficult anyway. Without your inside knowledge, I would not have been able to plan this RAP route on Monday past. 62 only went from"red" to "yellow" Wednesday night or Thursday morning, which was too late to fit our time constraints.

I know that the "RED means RED"(trail unavailable) is as hot a subject as "NO means NO", but I question both. In my misspent youth, NO sometimes meant MAYBE, and I think that our trail availability is similar. I don't want to trespass on private property where trail use has not been granted, or use trails where ice is unsafe. But I don't want to miss out on trails that are ready to open, but haven't been groomed quite to standard, or are shy some signage. Or, worse yet, because it is taking days to get the ITG updated. Hell, there were major intersections without signage at road trail intersections on our just completed trip. Others have discussed it, and I agree that a fourth colour designation is required to explain Trail Status. Our season is brutally short. We need better Trail Status info. I know that liability is part of the problem, but there has to be a way forward to accurate, up to date status.

On a positive note, despite signage inconsistencies and some long road trail sections (for reasons well known), we just completed the most pleasant, incident free RAP we have ever done (sample size 10+). Earliest date ever too. Maybe that had something to do with only two riders, or the shorter route planned, but the trail conditions were certainly a bonus. There was enough snow everywhere, even on those plowed road sections, and the grooming was mostly good to excellent. We lucked out with some fresh snow two days out of three. Previous RAP tours have been as long as 1000+ km, with distance added for getting lost or getting to and from hospitals, but this trip was only 780 km and we were staging a ways off the trail. We started off Tuesday at noon and wRAPped it up Thursday at 1PM. For for those in the south waiting for snow to get sledding, stop waiting and get going. There are now many areas open with good snow.

Archived