Sundridge/South river conditions and accommodation

800REN

Hello All. First time on the forum this year. So far it’s been a slow one. 

Have never ridden in this area any idea on conditions ? Good trails to ride? Accommodations? 

Any help would be great.

Thanks 

Anyone? We must have members up there? 

Not sure on the conditions but i'd stay at Caswell resort.

We would like to ride there this week any updates on trail grooming and conditions would be great

where can you unload in sundridge

35 minutes ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

We would like to ride there this week any updates on trail grooming and conditions would be great

where can you unload in sundridge

You can park and unload at the arena in sundridge. Trail is right there. 

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

You can park and unload at the arena in sundridge. Trail is right there. 

X2. Parked there many times.

"Figure out" which way the Groomer's gone. Trails can be ' night & day" depending upon what side of the highway you're on.

Near North on FB seems current/also Bonfield on FB

Was in Sundridge at 830 this morning along with 4 riding buddies in two other rigs. Parking lot at the arena was jammed with several trucks/trailers, but mostly cars. (Who knew they host hockey tournaments at the arena?) The town was deluged with trucks/trailers driving around trying to figure out where to park. We ended up parking off Albert Street on High Street, a short run from the trail.

Trails were in good shape.

20190112_105914.thumb.jpg.5f3818d6ec5d0c81d710942ad01647ce.jpg

20190112_103323.jpg

5 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Was in Sundridge at 830 this morning along with 4 riding buddies in two other rigs. Parking lot at the arena was jammed with several trucks/trailers, but mostly cars. (Who knew they host hockey tournaments at the arena?) The town was deluged with trucks/trailers driving around trying to figure out where to park. We ended up parking off Albert Street on High Street, a short run from the trail.

Trails were in good shape.

8:30?

You need one of these:

1707388028_roosterclock.jpg.df44d35f6c9fd8f769685cdddfbc802d.jpg

-_- good  the trails worked out.

That's a fair comment, but I was the fifth wheel and had no control over the itinerary. The day started with a 7 o'clock breakfast meeting in Gravenhurst - - time that might have been better spent driving to Sundridge. (Corn Flakes was not on the menu.)

I always chuckle seeing the sunrise pictures in your trail reports. You have the right strategy. (I used to be a milkman, but I'm alright now.)

In any event, I don't need that nice alarm clock, and neither will you after you empty your desk. No parking issues through the week.

Best bet is staying at Caswells, they have small cabins and rooms are your average snowmobile motel. Decent restaurant, but main thing is right on the lake (trail). Some of my favourite riding is staging in Sundridge, but I am a local cottagers so I am biased :-D. Any more questions let me know.

We made the mistake of staying at Caswell's a few years ago, based upon our experiences years earlier.  Found the cabins tiny (almost had to back into the washroom or lean on the sink to pee in the toilet).  Rustic, I think is the 'nice' word for it.  Never again.

8 hours ago, sledjunk said:

We made the mistake of staying at Caswell's a few years ago, based upon our experiences years earlier.  Found the cabins tiny (almost had to back into the washroom or lean on the sink to pee in the toilet).  Rustic, I think is the 'nice' word for it.  Never again.

Concur - even Ned Nickerson who stayed there last January could not utter a single positive word about the hotel even though it was probably free. (he features a weazel out clause at the end of each "report") I would suggest the Algonquin motel up the road about 10 minutes in South River- good trail access and a free breakfast although you have to go 5 minutes into town for it. Now that pot is legalized, you might even like the rooms depending on your point of view.....

http://www.algonquinmotel.ca/

1840839515_IMG_1985(Medium).thumb.JPG.a7801283c729a6d3d0c905f76fe97a97.JPG

325565751_IMG_1986(Medium).thumb.JPG.cd0e4f91257f996b0a6d2a174427bc2d.JPG

Pics are from February 2016. Your results may differ.

I'd really like to know if Near North groomed last night. Thinking of dropping in sundridge and going to port loring and back today. 

Yes Caswells is rustic, but accommodations in Sundridge are limited. If you are looking for a good accomodation and dining experience you will not be impressed. If it is simply somewhere to have a beer after a day's ride and get a few hours sleep I wouldn't hesitate. Still books up most weekends in the winter due to the lack of hotels in the area. 

If you want to wake up feeling like your are at Disney world or in a daycare, Algonquin motel is perfect.

3 hours ago, IndyIan said:

If you want to wake up feeling like your are at Disney world or in a daycare, Algonquin motel is perfect.

Cheaper than therapy if you don't have an employer sponsored health plan......should also mention the Northridge Inn at the other end of Lake Bernard, but don''t see any trails open to it currently and it seems like every weekend for the next while has been booked for weddings? I thought there might be something wrong with their website but according to ms. slomo, many people are now getting married in the winter due to lower costs......hmmmmm

https://northridgeinn.com/

Believe Slow Touring Guy stayed here for a second honeymoon once.....can't find the post though.....

10 hours ago, slomo said:

Cheaper than therapy if you don't have an employer sponsored health plan......should also mention the Northridge Inn at the other end of Lake Bernard, but don''t see any trails open to it currently and it seems like every weekend for the next while has been booked for weddings? I thought there might be something wrong with their website but according to ms. slomo, many people are now getting married in the winter due to lower costs......hmmmmm

https://northridgeinn.com/

Believe Slow Touring Guy stayed here for a second honeymoon once.....can't find the post though.....

North ridge Inn is closed for the winter from what I have heard.

Archived