Trail Closures Near Powassan

Blake G

The map base is Open Street Maps.  But it certainly does not seem to have all of the detail available in other forms of OSM.  However, back to the original question, IIRC, Perron's Freshmart (shows up on the map is you zoom in far enough) is the local grocery store that has gas (or used to)

Each club is responsible for providing GPS data to their district.

7 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Each club is responsible for providing GPS data to their district.

Yes, but only regarding trails and POI's.  They do not generate the basemap and the integrated POIs or labels.

15 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

The ITG  should have black for trails that have been closed due to misuse and let everyone know this is a growing problem. What better way to show we have a problem with a few who think they are entitled to ride whenever and wherever they like.

In my opinion, the section of trail in black should be completely removed from the OFSC Trail Status Map so Sledders can properly plan their route accordingly, not thinking that the red trail may open after next good snowfall, or deep freeze, etc.  This should apply Province-Side.

Right now there are many Red - Unavailable trails being ridden as the season opens up and people are thinking red will soon go yellow or green.

If a Trail is not likely to be opened this season, then remove it now, it can always be added later if conditions change.

Needless to say this is a big problem for those intending on doing full RAP loop but it can still be done.

Also a huge problem for Clubs that have invested big $$$ on trail upgrades, bridges, etc that are now landlocked.

In addition Clubs will lose grooming hours and trail kilometres which means less revenue.  In addition, it could mean extra Groomer travel time due to dead ends rather than loops.

Bad scene for sure.

38 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

The map base is Open Street Maps.  But it certainly does not seem to have all of the detail available in other forms of OSM.  However, back to the original question, IIRC, Perron's Freshmart (shows up on the map is you zoom in far enough) is the local grocery store that has gas (or used to)

Still have pic of their pumps on their website

perrons freshmart.jpg

42 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Still have pic of their pumps on their website

perrons freshmart.jpg

You know you're a die-hard snowmobiler when ....

:)

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

In my opinion, the section of trail in black should be completely removed from the OFSC Trail Status Map so Sledders can properly plan their route accordingly, not thinking that the red trail may open after next good snowfall, or deep freeze, etc.  This should apply Province-Side.

Right now there are many Red - Unavailable trails being ridden as the season opens up and people are thinking red will soon go yellow or green.

If a Trail is not likely to be opened this season, then remove it now, it can always be added later if conditions change.

Needless to say this is a big problem for those intending on doing full RAP loop but it can still be done.

Also a huge problem for Clubs that have invested big $$$ on trail upgrades, bridges, etc that are now landlocked.

In addition Clubs will lose grooming hours and trail kilometres which means less revenue.

Bad scene for sure.

I agree with you, we removed a section of trail for one season until the landowner issue was resolved. Posted trail closed signs and signed a reroute. 

The landowner was pressured buy the local community over the season, the club waited for the call and the issue was resolved. Trail was re-added to the itg the following year with no harm done....

Our club has asked to have a section of trail corrected and removed from the ITG.

Response was it would take 30 days.:unsure:

2 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I agree with you, we removed a section of trail for one season until the landowner issue was resolved. Posted trail closed signs and signed a reroute. 

The landowner was pressured buy the local community over the season, the club waited for the call and the issue was resolved. Trail was re-added to the itg the following year with no harm done....

Yukon

Exactly, Peer Pressure can indeed be persuasive in some situations.

Best for everyone to be advised the trail is Closed for rest of season and plan accordingly on your travels and hope that Landowner has a change of heart or the Club can re-work their trails, which is becoming increasingly difficult to do.

The worst is the situation where huge ($150,000) trail improvements have been rendered useless as a result of a Landowner revocation.

48 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Yukon

Exactly, Peer Pressure can indeed be persuasive in some situations.

Best for everyone to be advised the trail is Closed for rest of season and plan accordingly on your travels and hope that Landowner has a change of heart or the Club can re-work their trails, which is becoming increasingly difficult to do.

The worst is the situation where huge ($150,000) trail improvements have been rendered useless as a result of a Landowner revocation.

Too bad the idiots that cause the trail closure are oblivious to this but then again... even if they were they would probably not care.

26 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Too bad you call lawn owners idiots.

NO! I said the people that CAUSE THE TRAIL CLOSURE. That would be the people that trespass on the generous land owners private property with a disregard for the consequences of going off trail, riding when the trail is closed and similar. Doing the things that will alienate the land owner.

I think club's can upload their own trail corrections

1 minute ago, soupkids said:

In District 5 there is a person in the District office who has the necessary permissions to make changes to the trails within District 5.

I ment district.

10 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Unless it's different in your district (possible, not all districts operate the same) they can not, as I do ours.  They 'inform' the trail changes to the district, then the district informs OFSC, then it happens.  Even for available, limited, and closed, club makes the call but the district does the flipping.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

In District 5 there is a person in the District office who has the necessary permissions to make changes to the trails within District 5.

That is the status of the trail.  Updates to status can be made at any time. As for trail changes such as removing one it is done by the OFSC.

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

That is the status of the trail.  Updates to status can be made at any time. As for trail changes such as removing one it is done by the OFSC.

Actually no, it was a trail change.

Archived