Trail Closures Near Powassan

Blake G

From South Shore Restoule's FB page this morning.

20190108_090200.jpg

So I guess anyone doing the RAP tour w/o a long detour will have to expect quite a stretch of road running?

4 minutes ago, revrnd said:

So I guess anyone doing the RAP tour w/o a long detour will have to expect quite a stretch of road running?

Yes, it's very unfortunate. The land owner in Astorville informed us the last week of November.

Pretty tough to come up with any kind of solution that quick.

2 hours ago, -crz- said:

Yes, it's very unfortunate. The land owner in Astorville informed us the last week of November.

Pretty tough to come up with any kind of solution that quick.

Is this a new landowner or is this someone who is just tired of people abusing his property?

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

On the map shown, it looks like if you were doing the RAP and coming from Mattawa on the A101D to the D trail to Trout Creek, you wouldn't encounter any of the closed (black) sections. Only if you were traveling through Astorville would you hit the closed sections. Am I seeing that correctly?

8 minutes ago, tricky said:

On the map shown, it looks like if you were doing the RAP and coming from Mattawa on the A101D to the D trail to Trout Creek, you wouldn't encounter any of the closed (black) sections. Only if you were traveling through Astorville would you hit the closed sections. Am I seeing that correctly?

Correct. In the past if the road that TOP D uses south of the railbed was bare, an alternate route included the now closed SSR 700

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Correct. In the past if the road that TOP D uses south of the railbed was bare, an alternate route included the now closed SSR 700

This is all correct. There is also a large section of road running between Trout Creek and A101D which we leave yellow all season long.

It really is not a good stretch of trail. Once a new trail is cut through Powassan, I believe that will become the main artery.

15 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Is this a new landowner or is this someone who is just tired of people abusing his property?

This was a long time (2nd generation) land owner who was tired of atv's and hunters trespassing in the summer/fall. 

4 hours ago, -crz- said:

This was a long time (2nd generation) land owner who was tired of atv's and hunters trespassing in the summer/fall. 

I suspect closing the trail will not put a stop to that. These people trespassing already know the location and will continue to do so.

6 hours ago, -crz- said:

Not the first and won't be the last. A friend of mine shut down access to his property for the same reason. He had a run in with a few ATV'ers who were carrying bolt cutters and pissed that somebody had the nerve to padlock the gate across THEIR trail.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

I suspect closing the trail will not put a stop to that. These people trespassing already know the location and will continue to do so.

Agreed. But he who owns the land, makes the rules....

45 minutes ago, -crz- said:

Agreed. But he who owns the land, makes the rules....

My friend who closed his removed his gate and had enough large rock dumped there that made it too difficult for them to access...

24 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Federal and Provincial Tax Credits for Landowners who provide their property for public trails would go a long way to helping trail organizations maintain their systems.

To a point Brian then it wouldn't likely matter. JMHO.

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Federal and Provincial Tax Credits for Landowners who provide their property for public trails would go a long way to helping trail organizations maintain their systems.

Money talks 

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

To a point Brian then it wouldn't likely matter. JMHO.

Agreed but it is a tangible financial benefit that some Landowners would likely appreciate as their generosity is actually being recognized by government and others.

I feel that this problem is going to start to snowball and we collectively need to look for some solutions.

So here is my 2 cents worth, as a former property owner with trails.  The last year that trails went past our property 17 years ago,  (not Powassan) we used to walk our dog on the trails when the snow was just about melted.  We walked with the kids 2 miles in and 2 miles back.  We picked up enough refundable beer and liquor bottles to give the kids spending money for summer camp.  Lots and lots of pop cans and water bottles, oil and other snowmobile fluid containers littered everywhere too.  I didnt even want to think about the toileting that went on during the winter, baby wipes and other stuff just doesnt disappear easily.  Its easy to just see the beauty of the snow, a big storm will cover over everything on the trail.  Tossing something 20 feet into the woods doesnt make it disappear.  Only sledders used the trails in the winter.    We ran the Legion kitchen 4 winters ago.  Gave the sledders free access to the parking lot, washrooms etc.  Every single day we had to pick up tossed oil and other containers from the parking lot and put them in the recycling containers.  EVERY DAY.  Sledders should pack out what they bring in.  Use toilets at the beginning and end of trails,  STOP LITTERING AND using the woods as a toilet.

We really don't have too much problem with sledders leaving their garbage along the trail. Of course our trails are only open for a week or less per year.:banghead:

Trail closures to Trail trash. I'll bite. This is the kind of trash we find in the NCDN. 

20180417_123535.jpg

20180417_123517.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Blake G said:

From South Shore Restoule's FB page this morning.

20190108_090200.jpg

The ITG  should have black for trails that have been closed due to misuse and let everyone know this is a growing problem. What better way to show we have a problem with a few who think they are entitled to ride whenever and wherever they like.

Does anyone know if there's still a gasoline station in Astorville? Considering sledding from Emsdale or Sundridge to Astorville tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Blake G said:

Does anyone know if there's still a gasoline station in Astorville? Considering sledding from Emsdale or Sundridge to Astorville tomorrow.

Here are a couple of possibilities:

gas3.jpg.825745d8c8e29e2878156223f91e39dc.jpg

gas4.thumb.jpg.45803294d3846f5d96b827e996336c90.jpg

gas01.thumb.jpg.61735f916d20513f1876c613ab4c81c6.jpg

I am reconsidering my prior contentment with the OFSC ITG - such important sledding map points as Astorville, Port Loring, Ardbeg, and Deux-Rivieres (just after a brief search ) can't be found and a million useless place names for lakes are included - and no - zooming does nothing to alleviate this. Not only does this make the mapping useless for sledders, it would certainly be a contentious issue for potential and current businesses who pay to "get on the map".  Looks like the mappers cheaped out on the map base and users and sponsors are paying the price.

10 hours ago, Blake G said:

Th grocery store in Astorville carries regular, and as Slomo posted above the Crevier on the lake also has fuel (reg & premium).

1 hour ago, slomo said:

I am reconsidering my prior contentment with the OFSC ITG - such important sledding map points as Astorville, Port Loring, Ardbeg, and Deux-Rivieres (just after a brief search ) can't be found and a million useless place names for lakes are included - and no - zooming does nothing to alleviate this. Not only does this make the mapping useless for sledders, it would certainly be a contentious issue for potential and current businesses who pay to "get on the map".  Looks like the mappers cheaped out on the map base and users and sponsors are paying the price.

I don't know where the gps data came from for the new map, but I am from this area and can see multiple minor errors in the screenshots you posted alone (can't imagine the rest of the province).

Its like they used data from 10 years ago. 

Archived