North Bay vs. Sudbury

lakejoe

Seems like a lot of action in the Sudbury area, not much chatter about North Bay. I have never been sledding in either, so any tips would be appreciated. 

Right now, thinking about North Bay tomorrow for a few days as it’s a little closer drive, and stay at the Holiday Inn (prefer modern suite living to rustic motel living). Looks like the trail hooks up across Hwy 11.

How long is the ride from North Bay to Sudbury through all of that limited trail? How long is the ride from North Bay to Deep River? Any one been on these trails in the last couple of days? 

Thanks! 

I can only tell you about the west side of north bay towards sudbury , the trails needed a lot of snow to smooth things out . Last night we got close to 15 cm so it should be better in a day or so . The lakes have a lot of slush ,  I have heard sudbury is better .

Folks have been riding between Mattawa & North Bay so far. I haven't read of any trips towards Sudbury yet.

I'm not sure if the North Bay Snowmobile Club got a replacement groomer or got the groomer that went down on the weekend back in service. If not, the trails north and east may not be up to NBSC's normal quality.

10 hours ago, lakejoe said:

.......stay at the Holiday Inn (prefer modern suite living to rustic motel living). Looks like the trail hooks up across Hwy 11.

I would strongly advocate a change in your choice of accomodation if going to North Bay to snowmobile. Wait for Nipissing to freeze up and be staked and choose one of the chain motels on Lakeshore Ave or the Ramada Pinewood Park on Pinewood  Drive with direct access to trails without a water crossing. Trails through urban North Bay are notorious for being thin. 

528694973_holidayinn.thumb.jpg.b2368c18409ade99bb929d25f12455bf.jpg

Easy to access the lake trail from most of the establishments along Lakeshore - Sunset Inn probably being the easiest.

lakeshore.thumb.jpg.05dc978abce04f549bbbf9742cf096e8.jpg

None of these appearing on the ITG for some reason.

6 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm not sure if the North Bay Snowmobile Club got a replacement groomer or got the groomer that went down on the weekend back in service. If not, the trails north and east may not be up to NBSC's normal quality.

I believe they got one back from Mattawa club...

12 minutes ago, slomo said:

I would strongly advocate a change in your choice of accomodation if going to North Bay to snowmobile. Wait for Nipissing to freeze up and be staked and choose one of the chain motels on Lakeshore Ave or the Ramada Pinewood Park on Pinewood  Drive with direct access to trails without a water crossing. Trails through urban North Bay are notorious for being thin.

Awesome info, thank you!

Would you stick to Sudbury for now then until Nipissing freezes up?

The Ramada Pinewood has a great model train display.

Check reviews though, looks like it has deteriorated quite a bit since our stay 10 years ago. It was called the Clarion then

9 hours ago, lakejoe said:

Awesome info, thank you!

Some recent insight in this thread from soupkids in Sudbury:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19428-sudbury-valley-inn/

Have a look at revrnd's accommodation guide if you are not familiar with it - link is in his signature.

12 hours ago, lakejoe said:

Awesome info, thank you!

Nipissing has 18 inches of ice, the snowmobile trail was staked almost a week ago now, assuming its not showing as open yet because of the warm weather/slush. I was ice fishing out there yesterday beside the snowmobile trail and slush is limited on Nip but lots on Trout Lake!! I drove my car out 2.5km from shore, there have been trucks going half way across the lake already

42 minutes ago, atventure said:

Nipissing has 18 inches of ice, the snowmobile trail was staked almost a week ago now, assuming its not showing as open yet because of the warm weather/slush. I was ice fishing out there yesterday beside the snowmobile trail and slush is limited on Nip but lots on Trout Lake!! I drove my car out 2.5km from shore, there have been trucks going half way across the lake already

Is Trout staked?

Lake Joe, I would stay clear of NB unless something changed dramatically this week. We put an easy 200kms in Suds last Friday than trailered to NB for a Saturday ride. Trail behind Travelodge (the one you reference) isn’t open yet. In both NB and Sudbury we’ve been staying in the city and trailering to the outskirts to ride. We got tired of an awesome ride and then getting beat up trying to get back to the hotel in the city!!

6 minutes ago, Curly said:

Lake Joe, I would stay clear of NB unless something changed dramatically this week. We put an easy 200kms in Suds last Friday than trailered to NB for a Saturday ride. Trail behind Travelodge (the one you reference) isn’t open yet. In both NB and Sudbury we’ve been staying in the city and trailering to the outskirts to ride. We got tired of an awesome ride and then getting beat up trying to get back to the hotel in the city!!

I hear you! That’s a good point. Thanks for the info. I’m heading to Sudbury. 

We are also heading to Sudbury this weekend, looking forward to another great weekend..

Soupkids is the best Sudbury snowmobiling ambassador. 

As for where to stay in Sudbury, rely upon the SPOT pings from STP route. 

Differing trail conditions, based upon active grooming.

Leaving from STP yard sat morning....riding north to Quicks back to Sudbury sun.

I'm hoping to do that Sunday. Look forward to your input re trail

We are planning on doing the wolf mountain loop Saturday and Cartier moose loop Sunday, will post updates and pics.

Archived