Trails in and around Timmins

extreme600

The trails in the area are flat out awesome.  So glad we decided to bite the bullet and get up here earlier than normal.  Here's a few pics of the trails.  Get in your trucks and make the drive north folks.

The folks in Iroquois Falls sure know how to sign for local businesses.  Love it.  Timmins trails have been superb every day so far.  Matheson and Val Gagne need more time to work with the trails  but they are still good. 

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.06fc059ea2ebb2af09cd4cf72e4ede06.JPGIMG_1041.thumb.JPG.f93f70cbb476d52b0d0f8f306da4caec.JPGIMG_1042.thumb.JPG.b188a85f059f9f0a59c399ea089dfebd.JPGIMG_1048.thumb.JPG.842a47b7da57013c8d273a830e00586c.JPGIMG_1052.thumb.JPG.d321fd740a7e1a0876dbe9a12d710ed3.JPGIMG_1056.thumb.JPG.bc2cf64ea647a3c9fe7725cec6b6ac5f.JPGIMG_1065.thumb.JPG.c3df0470b3d307691de5893c9fbe90b0.JPGIMG_1071.thumb.JPG.39fb873ad7cf7534ca359d73175901d6.JPGIMG_1073.thumb.JPG.47fd7525c77438ae282e12a03f2fd4b1.JPGIMG_1062.thumb.JPG.aa79b3fd7219ed2cb63775bcefd4ef2d.JPG

Glad to see you guys having fun!!

Can't wait for it will make there in a middle of February 

30 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Nobody commented on the sign bobo in the 4th pic.Better not to have one than one pointed the wrong way.

I believe that sign is indicating a left turn just past the trail number sign

2 hours ago, gtserider said:

Nobody commented on the sign bobo in the 4th pic.Better not to have one than one pointed the wrong way.

Not the 1st time I've seen something like that...

3 hours ago, gtserider said:

Installed some signage in your day have you? 

Good eye!

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Not the 1st time I've seen something like that...

My buddy, bottom of a steep hill, corner in sight 50 meters out, signed wrong...result, roll into ditch. Yamahas are heavy.

SAM_4161.JPG

Video of the groomer from Folyet heading towards Timmins today.

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Installed some signage in your day have you? 

Good eye!

Does the EOTA follow the same signage rules as the clubs? After taking the OFSC's signage seminar, you notice these things.

Approaching a road crossing Sun', there were 2 'stop ahead' signs. The stop sign (1 of 2 I saw on the railbed this way) was nailed to a tree.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Does the EOTA follow the same signage rules as the clubs? After taking the OFSC's signage seminar, you notice these things.

Approaching a road crossing Sun', there were 2 'stop ahead' signs. The stop sign (1 of 2 I saw on the railbed this way) was nailed to a tree.

Some of the different organizations have adopted the same policies as the OFSC.  I am familiar with the OFATV. 

If you would like to discuss the signage guide you can send me a PM anytime...

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Video of the groomer from Folyet heading towards Timmins today.

My cousin Tony .... :D

2 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Some of the different organizations have adopted the same policies as the OFSC.  I am familiar with the OFATV. 

If you would like to discuss the signage guide you can send me a PM anytime...

I did the trail signage training in '17 & keep a copy of the guide in the truck when checking road crossing. I do know off the top of my head certain signs (like STOP signs) are to be the only sign on a post. I recall during the training being shown some pics of signage on hydro poles & other non-permitted locations.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:42 PM, gtserider said:

FYI the sign is correct.  That picture was taken at an intersection.  When you approach the trail there's a stop sign which you go left as the sign shows.  I know the picture looks different but seriously it is correct.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.   

1 hour ago, extreme600 said:

FYI the sign is correct.  That picture was taken at an intersection.  When you approach the trail there's a stop sign which you go left as the sign shows.  I know the picture looks different but seriously it is correct.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.   

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. This is signed incorrectly. If you have just advanced from the stop sign, your speed would be less than 50 kmph, therefore no need for the directional arrow.

The Trail Info sign shows the rider where the trail starts.

Remove the directional arrow and replace it with the Trail Info sign. Riders will be able to read it from the Stop sign.

My husband and I have been working on signage in Moonbeam and Kapuskasing for 10 years. 

1 hour ago, Claire Voyant said:

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. This is signed incorrectly. If you have just advanced from the stop sign, your speed would be less than 50 kmph, therefore no need for the directional arrow.

The Trail Info sign shows the rider where the trail starts.

Remove the directional arrow and replace it with the Trail Info sign. Riders will be able to read it from the Stop sign.

My husband and I have been working on signage in Moonbeam and Kapuskasing for 10 years. 

Directional Arrow  Sign Placement – o The “Directional Arrow” sign should be installed to mark the direction of a curve where it can be reasonably anticipated or demonstrated that a prudent and legal operator may require additional visual guidance. o A single “Directional Arrow” should be installed in the apex of the corner in a location that is visible to the approaching operator (i.e. apex or outside of corner) only when preceded by a “Slow” sign. o The “Directional Arrow” will only be installed in a horizontal layout and does not signify angle or curvature of the corner.  Controls – o A Directional Arrow should only be used when preceded by a “Slow” sign that is installed (per guidelines) approximately 100 to 120 metres prior to the “Directional Arrow” sign. o There should be no signage in the sightline within the distance from the “Slow” sign to the “Directional Arrow”. o No other sign should be placed at the same mounting location as the “Directional Arrow” sign. o The “Directional Arrow” is intended for use in curves only and should not be used for any other purpose.

43 minutes ago, zoso said:

Directional Arrow  Sign Placement – o The “Directional Arrow” sign should be installed to mark the direction of a curve where it can be reasonably anticipated or demonstrated that a prudent and legal operator may require additional visual guidance. o A single “Directional Arrow” should be installed in the apex of the corner in a location that is visible to the approaching operator (i.e. apex or outside of corner) only when preceded by a “Slow” sign. o The “Directional Arrow” will only be installed in a horizontal layout and does not signify angle or curvature of the corner.  Controls – o A Directional Arrow should only be used when preceded by a “Slow” sign that is installed (per guidelines) approximately 100 to 120 metres prior to the “Directional Arrow” sign. o There should be no signage in the sightline within the distance from the “Slow” sign to the “Directional Arrow”. o No other sign should be placed at the same mounting location as the “Directional Arrow” sign. o The “Directional Arrow” is intended for use in curves only and should not be used for any other purpose.

So, my take on the above for what its worth would be, unless there was a slow sign 100-120 metres ahead of the arrow, the arrow shouldn't be there. Since there is apparently no slow sign 100-120 metres before the arrow (there shouldn't be if there is a STOP sign in place according to the above), the arrow shouldn't be there.

19 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

So, my take on the above for what its worth would be, unless there was a slow sign 100-120 metres ahead of the arrow, the arrow shouldn't be there. Since there is apparently no slow sign 100-120 metres before the arrow (there shouldn't be if there is a STOP sign in place according to the above), the arrow shouldn't be there.

As well the cautionary (yellow) arrow should not be used for providing guidance after a stop, it is to be used where a rider going at 50km/h would have difficulty safely navigating the curve (with a slow ahead of it to provide warning).  Providing directional guidance at an intersection like this should be done with a trail information sign with or without a black and white arrow as needed (or an arrow on the trail information sign).  

14 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Can we start talking about Trails Around Timmins some time soon again???

Exactly.  Geez if I new that picture would cause all these posts I wouldn't have posted it.  Lesson learned.  Make sure signs are correct before posting anymore pictures.

Back to the awesome trails in and around Timmins.  Looks like they are opening up  more trails in the area.  They received a lot of snow Wednesday!!!

6 hours ago, extreme600 said:

Exactly.  Geez if I new that picture would cause all these posts I wouldn't have posted it.  Lesson learned.  Make sure signs are correct before posting anymore pictures.

Back to the awesome trails in and around Timmins.  Looks like they are opening up  more trails in the area.  They received a lot of snow Wednesday!!!

Don't be discouraged - enjoyed both your pictures and the sign dialogue you initiated.:-P

6 hours ago, extreme600 said:

I have always really enjoyed your trip information and the pictures you post. Please don't give the sign discussions another thought and continue posting as in the past.

7 hours ago, extreme600 said:

it was simply a chance to learn the proper rules. This should never be viewed as a bad thing. being many on here are trained for and do signage, of course you can expect a comment and following discussion when an irregularity is spotted in a picture.  

Archived