Trail pad locks keep freezing

Baylaker

I hate having to use the torch every time I want to get into my trailers. I’ve covered up the tongue locks with a 10 gallon pail, but the rear ramp and man door locks are a pita!! Seems like the smallest amount of condensation screws things up for me. What are you guys doing to prevent this?

The locks I have on the ramp are the "weatherized" version covered in rubber. Only had the one on the ramp freeze up once last winter and that was the first time in years. I always carry lock de-icer in the truck just in case.

I had one of those years ago. They work good! Thanks 

also so wondering about a thin piece of rubber that will cover up the padlock, anybody ever try this? 

35 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The locks I have on the ramp are the "weatherized" version covered in rubber. Only had the one on the ramp freeze up once last winter and that was the first time in years. I always carry lock de-icer in the truck just in case.

X 2...lock de-icer has never failed to work for me.

only put the locks on when at the destination. dont trailer with the locks on, use carabiners to secure the load doors, until you get to the destination. store your locks in a warm dry area, coat them with wd40 or spray penetrant, after use. Ski 

14 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I had one of those years ago. They work good! Thanks 

also so wondering about a thin piece of rubber that will cover up the padlock, anybody ever try this? 

I know one person who uses an old neoprene mouse pad. He pokes two very tiny holes in it and slides the shackle through them.

Try spraying locks with REM oil, gun lubricant, it wont freeze ,not water based like WD 40

Excellent, I will try some of these solutions. Thanks guys 

3 hours ago, CAT RIDER said:

Try spraying locks with REM oil, gun lubricant, it wont freeze ,not water based like WD 40

WD 40 isn't water based, actually the WD stands for water displacement and its solvent based and doesn't freeze.  What you are recommending will work tho, as long as its dry to begin with. If there's already moisture inside the lock the oil wont help as it wont mix with the water.. and the water will freeze. 

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

only put the locks on when at the destination. dont trailer with the locks on, use carabiners to secure the load doors, until you get to the destination. store your locks in a warm dry area, coat them with wd40 or spray penetrant, after use. Ski 

this is the solution by the way wd40 does freeze but is not water based 

With all the freeze/thaw cycles that now pass for "winter" even my Master weatherproof locks freeze. That's with all manner of oils sprayed in all of the orifices. The water gets in, and can't drain fast enough, them it's a block of ice inside.

After the last freezing rain incident, and thawing them with a butane pencil torch, carefully, as not to melt the covers, I dried them out, and FILLED them with waterproof wheel bearing grease.

I'm sure it'll rain after tonight's snowfall, (what's new...) and if it freezes fast enough after to make life a mess, I'll report back.

7 hours ago, zoso said:

^ EXACTLY

Always have 1 in the pocket when we go down to the woodlot (have a locked gate @ the access point). Crappy Tire carries them if you're not into online shopping. I wasn't aware until this year's deer hunt that you can buy larger butane cans to refill rather than buying the smaller 'cartridges'.

About using gun oil. I'll have to find out what I used a year ago on 1 of our locks (we do have Rem Oil among other lubes in the house). Whatever it was it got quite thick in the cold.

Archived