Sudbury Valley Inn

nooch_77

Staying at Valley inn ( first time) Hopefully trails stay open and green for Thursday- Saturday) in Sudbury. Any reports of conditions? Pics in that area?? recommendations appreciated also. rode C/D D trail last time and was awesome. Hoping to rack up more miles this trip. Last time was warm and lakes where not safe. Looks very cold there now tho so hopefully will be staked and safe.

I believe the north is getting a good storm today.

Snowing here now, suppose to get 15cm. Getting cold toward the end of the week. Some of the bigger water crossings may not open yet. Lake Wahnapitae still red, we have been riding under it on c/d (around it)

Was on Nepawassi on Saturday, about 10" of ice, and 6" of snow on top. Some trucks were pulling out there ice huts.  The smaller bodies of water have decent ice.

The Groomer went past Yesterday afternoon (D trail) East of the City. This snow will help smooth out the trails for sure. Link below to see the groomers if it works, check it out.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Do they groom anywhere near that location?  Stayed at Chateau Guay last year and no grooming within 20 Km either direction. 

3 hours ago, Jason T said:

Snowing here now, suppose to get 15cm. Getting cold toward the end of the week. Some of the bigger water crossings may not open yet. Lake Wahnapitae still red, we have been riding under it on c/d (around it)

Was on Nepawassi on Saturday, about 10" of ice, and 6" of snow on top. Some trucks were pulling out there ice huts.  The smaller bodies of water have decent ice.

The Groomer went past Yesterday afternoon (D trail) East of the City. This snow will help smooth out the trails for sure. Link below to see the groomers if it works, check it out.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Just saw this on Timmins Facebook page:

Hi all:

The Capreol Ridge Riders are in desperate need of new club members, so much so that they are seriously looking at shutting down the club!

The club is holding an emergency meeting this Thursday (Jan.10th), 7pm at the Capreol Arena (upstairs hall), 20 Meehan St. in Capreol.

If you know anyone who can help the Capreol club out, please pass the word!!

If the club folds, it will affect the following trails - C, 55, 62, L, 64, C11D, 65 - the area outlined in pink in the picture below.

broder dill.jpg

That’s not good

5 hours ago, nooch_77 said:

Staying at Valley inn ( first time) Hopefully trails stay open and green for Thursday- Saturday) in Sudbury. Any reports of conditions? Pics in that area?? recommendations appreciated also. rode C/D D trail last time and was awesome. Hoping to rack up more miles this trip. Last time was warm and lakes where not safe. Looks very cold there now tho so hopefully will be staked and safe.

I would recommend moving to the Windy Lake Motel. It is on the trail, has gas and a restaurant. Basic motel, but it is in the woods more and less and will suffer any warm weather less than the Valley Inn which is in a built up area.  Would be bad to drive all the way from the Buffalo to have poor conditions.

https://www.windylakemotel.com/

motel.thumb.jpg.ed51de4e3072acb35eeae92d79a6c1e4.jpg

Pics from last year on the Moose Loop:

457125957_motel(2).thumb.JPG.18bbebff7280ae40db4627886626acd8.JPG

1518172230_IMG_3028(Medium).thumb.JPG.621d9b8be4e0d6b07184070f5b142dca.JPG

1894190178_IMG_3034(Medium).thumb.JPG.251bbed4bd81015b20b5073c12db93f4.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.3adef9127f24acd7993cf3194cbc1210.JPG

pic09.thumb.JPG.b94a87984407328de5d0f6efdfc2e217.JPG

pic10.thumb.JPG.5aae6138fc7bd731cc97c62622cbad0c.JPG

Groomer leaves motel and trail through the parking lot.

X2 for Windy Lake Motel. We staged from there last Thursday. Fuel, food, accommodations, good people and the trail comes through the parking lot. 

I did the wolf loop Sunday, has only been groomed once.

Was excellent. 

I also rode all over whanapitie as well.

Difference for me is I know the lake, been riding it for 25 yrs and I have GPS tracks for it.

Snowing like hell here, going to take a couple days to get things groomed.

Hey soup,

How did you guys fair from the storm? My app said you were getting 15-25cms by this morning. How much snow do you currently have in the bush? 

Another questions for you Soup.

I noticed there is small red section near Hwy 17 (by Royal Distributing).

Was planning to drop at the boat launch on Ramsey and come out at Moonlight beach and link up to the trail.

Do you think there is any reason to be concerned?

MS

On 1/7/2019 at 10:01 PM, soupkids said:

I did the wolf loop Sunday, has only been groomed once.

Was excellent. 

I also rode all over whanapitie as well.

Difference for me is I know the lake, been riding it for 25 yrs and I have GPS tracks for it.

Snowing like hell here, going to take a couple days to get things groomed.

Soupkid- We are still planning to come up tmrw night- Ride Friday Sat Sunday. Conditions Sudbury area good? We are staying at Valley Inn. Thanks!!

8 hours ago, nooch_77 said:

Soupkid- We are still planning to come up tmrw night- Ride Friday Sat Sunday. Conditions Sudbury area good? We are staying at Valley Inn. Thanks!!

This image is from a computer in Toronto ( just trying to be helpful ) .... but I'd say the current groomer activity is in your favour for a Valley Inn stay ( Soup would know better ). Limited routes 'tho.

You're staying just south of Blizzard Valley on the image below.

As you head west your other hotel choices are  :

Nortland Motel ( Chelmsford ) ;

or further west at Windy Lake Motel 

You're in good hands with Campbell ( I mean Soup ) & https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Happy trails.

IMG_20190109_173859.jpg

PS..when I mentioned limited routes above it's because there's not much open south of Chelmsford...a route we like to do during our multiple day stays .

The good news is that the Cartier Moose loop is open ( 225 KMS ) - though C115D is closed, head up thru Val Caron instead..Trail 51; Soup mentioned the Wolf Loop ...and more trails are likely to open.

One lesson from that area.. follow your stomach :) If leaving Valley Inn or Northland Inn after just a light breakfast at Tim Hortons, consider heading west and eat lunch early at Windy Lake or the gas station in Cartier  ( Kelly's Dinner * ). Try running the Cartier Loop clockwise. We've always run it counter clockwise....as we rolled thru Cartier late in the day, I swore to myself there are the back of some trees I gotta see next time.

Firehouse in capreol is a lunch stop if heading counter clockwise ( fuel nearby if necessary ) but it's off the loop. Cousin Vinnys in Hanmer is on the route. Keep both in mind as I sense you'll be doing figure 8's in the Sudbury area ( all good ).

All good options mentioned by canuck.

Nunz and I are riding a modified wolf loop Saturday.

Sudbury south may be yellow by the weekend, maybe green even.

Archived