Oxygen Helmets

signfan

No issues at all with ours Karen feels it’s the best helmet she’s worn.

I had an issue with the power cord on my first attempt to use it. It was replaced by a local dealer. Then within about 8 hours of use the visor started to cloud over indicating separation between the outside glass and the heating element. Went to a local Quebec dealer and they took one off a new helmet and got me on my way. They said this was the second helmet so far. 

Great idea although reading through various sites a definite issue with shields. I think in our area many are still sitting on a shelf waiting to get used. Hopefully they have a quick fix as folks shelled out big bucks for these myself included. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone attempted to wire an Oxygen Helmet up with a communicator?

I have a BV2S and not real impressed! I have had it for 3 seasons and a bunch of little problems. Fogging with regular lens, upgraded to electric and now is frost free, but now is clouding. Mask skips and ratchets, visor won't stay up anymore. Just a cheaply built helmet for a lot of money. My daughters $150 Zoan helmet has electric shield and never has it been plugged in. doesn't fog, even in -25C temps.

I have a BVS2 and although it is a great helmet I will likely sell it, I am finding it is too heavy and my neck is very sore at the end of the day after using it. I still prefer my Bell MX-9 everyday of the week.

I sure like my Doo Modular. No electric visor, don't need it. As long as the breath box is adjusted properly, it never fogs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

I have a BVS2 and although it is a great helmet I will likely sell it, I am finding it is too heavy and my neck is very sore at the end of the day after using it. I still prefer my Bell MX-9 everyday of the week.

My wife and I have the BRP modular helmets. I've never found it too heavy or that my neck was sore. My wife has occasionally said her neck was sore at the end of the day. One of the things I do like about it is the face mask it comes with for those really cold days. It fits over/around the breath mask, protects the cheeks right up to your temples your chin and neck right down below the collar of your coat. No electric shield, has never fogged and the only thing that ever fogged was a tiny spot on the bottom corners of my glasses closest to my nose. A quick adjustment of the breath mask and that was resolved.

CaptureM.JPG.899282b735fcc5c65ea7af9b2c579eea.JPG

Edited by 02Sled
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I sure like my Doo Modular. No electric visor, don't need it. As long as the breath box is adjusted properly, it never fogs.

Agreed. Doo Bvs2. No electric shield. Absolutely love it.

Helmets are a personal preference. You wear it for hours. To each his own.

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

I have the other doo mod helmet, big weight difference between that and my mx, main reason I continue to wear my mx.

9 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

That was one of the things I liked about mine.....no wires!

One thing I have noticed is that many with electric visors don't carry their breath mask with them. I don't mean use it but have it in the bag. A few times we have been out and one of the heated visors fail. Now they are fogging up and have to open the face shield to see where they are going. It makes for a very long VERY COLD ride back. Those that have had that experience now keep the breath mask with them just in case.

12 minutes ago, stoney said:

That was one of the things I liked about mine.....no wires!

15 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Helmets are a personal preference. You wear it for hours. To each his own.

Exactly.  I prefer no wires, but would resort to one with an electric shield if absolutely necessary.  Might upgrade my Modular 3 to an electric shield sometime, just in case. 

02, a couple or 3 years ago the Irreverents were up riding in -27°C weather. One of their shields had quit working- hers IIRC,  wire problems. No breath box on the helmet, she dislikes them. Very difficult to continue a trip with a bad shield and no way to keep your breath off of it.

This is the exact reason I prefer no electric visor, you become dependent on it and when it fails on a cold saddlebag trip it's a major hindrance. 

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

One thing I have noticed is that many with electric visors don't carry their breath mask with them. I don't mean use it but have it in the bag. A few times we have been out and one of the heated visors fail. Now they are fogging up and have to open the face shield to see where they are going. It makes for a very long VERY COLD ride back. Those that have had that experience now keep the breath mask with them just in case.

As mentioned previously, in my experience 90% of the time an electric shield fails it is a cord issue. Carry an extra cord with you and problem solved. The only other issue I've ever had in 30+ years of electric shield use was a blown fuse (my fault for letting cord short out on chassis). Sled had spare fuses in the fuse box so that wasn't a problem either.

Lake joe, my buddy and I both have oxygen helmets and hooked up the packtalks to them last weekend. They worked flawlessly, so far have had no issues with this helmet. I took the little plastic piece out of the front that diverts moisture from your breath out the vent holes. A bit of ice forms at the bottom of the shield but I knock it off and it’s not a big deal. 

5 hours ago, SalemRene said:

Lake joe, my buddy and I both have oxygen helmets and hooked up the packtalks to them last weekend. They worked flawlessly, so far have had no issues with this helmet. I took the little plastic piece out of the front that diverts moisture from your breath out the vent holes. A bit of ice forms at the bottom of the shield but I knock it off and it’s not a big deal. 

Nice! Did you find a way to get the speaker/mic wires around the cloth apron attached to the opening of the helmet? 

You put the wire inbetween the plastic and the fabric and fish it up through the chin strap.

F0359FFA-31E4-4D26-A5FD-C4F455934288.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by SalemRene

Tweezers work good for grabbing the cords.

2 hours ago, SalemRene said:

Tweezers work good for grabbing the cords.

Oh perfect! I wasn’t sure if there was a path there. Thank you for the pics! 

18 hours ago, SalemRene said:

You put the wire inbetween the plastic and the fabric and fish it up through the chin strap.

F0359FFA-31E4-4D26-A5FD-C4F455934288.jpeg

does the battery die quickly for you? I have the same one and always have to keep it warm when we stop to get a few hours out of it.

We just back from our trip it was -35C and we have a chance to compare all 3 helmets Oxygen, BV2S and Modular 3 for 2 days at same conditions.

So Oxygen seems all good a little bit moisture on bottom of wiser, not big deal, so my friend pretty happy with it.

I'm a little bit sceptic if electric parts fail during a long trip, you are done...

My other friend has BV2S and he has a problem with freezing valves and as result fogging visor, so he was forced to use heater, with out heater no way.

I were Modular 3 no fogging except sun visor so not big deal I just did not use it. I plugged in my helmet  at end of he day when my exhaust holes was frozen and I feel difficult to breath and I didn't like to take off helmet and clean it, so I just plug heater.  

So my opinion is Modular 3 is still simple and reliable helmet for long run.

Edited by andreyboater

I'll weigh in here... I have had all three (BV2S, MOD3, and just bought the Oxygen). 

I was in Sudbury two weekends ago for my first ride with the Oxygen. My first impressions were very good:

• It's light
  • Huge field of view
  • Very quiet, shockingly quiet actually
  • It has built-in sound canceling earmuffs (they are velcro removable) which contributes to the quietness 
  • Highly usable with coms because of no mouth piece - mic is not muffled, and those sound cancelling earmuffs have foam cut-outs which you can install speakers inside of
  • The magnetic cable connector is awesome compared to RCA connectors, and although I thought the inline visor remote control was gimmicky - the green light on it which indicates connectivity is awesome as I have had countless rides where I'm wondering if the shield is even being powered
  • The sun visor is actually usable and resists fogging quite well.
  • The rear light (I'm told) is great too for visibility behind you - and it's not battery powered

It was very cold in Sudbury and blue sky sunny during the days we were there, so I got a good feel for the helmet. BRP has clearly put some solid engineering and thought into this thing. 

With all of that said though... on Day 2 there was condensation that had built up in between the two layers of the shield overnight. After riding all day with the heated shield on full, and the sun beating down on it, the condensation or some kind of streaking from it was still there and impossible to clean. It covered the entire shield and didn't block me from using it, but it did reduce visibility by about 30% which was annoying, especially considering the price. I took it back to The Cove in Muskoka where I bought it and they contacted BRP. They have apparently issued a service bulletin about it and they sent out a replacement shield. Hopefully the replacement shield solves the problem because I love the helmet. I'll report back next weekend after I get to try it out again.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:22 AM, lakejoe said:

Has anyone attempted to wire an Oxygen Helmet up with a communicator?

I tried one on at the Cove yesterday. I paused just for this reason. The mic will be awkward.