Another Tragic Situation

02Sled

yes we do

There was a 4 wheeler and a volkswagon that went thru the ice on Mississippi Lake, near Perth. Three got out, but one male in car died. 

1 hour ago, thetorches said:

There was a 4 wheeler and a volkswagon that went thru the ice on Mississippi Lake, near Perth. Three got out, but one male in car died. 

Idiots, that lake wuld be unsafe for a sled let alone a car.

When I see these reports it brings unbearable sadness to imagine the onset of horror while drowning due to a stupid decision - and while personal death is imminent, wondering if your friends are goners as well... Be safe on the ice everyone and come home to your families at the end of the day.

This thread brought out what, imho, is mandatory in snowmobiling with the uncertain weather trends these days:

1) Studded track

2) Carbides matched to the studded track

3) Flotation Suit

4) Ice Picks

23 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

When I see these reports it brings unbearable sadness to imagine the onset of horror while drowning due to a stupid decision - and while personal death is imminent, wondering if your friends are goners as well... Be safe on the ice everyone and come home to your families at the end of the day.

This thread brought out what, imho, is mandatory in snowmobiling with the uncertain weather trends these days:

1) Studded track

2) Carbides matched to the studded track

3) Flotation Suit

4) Ice Picks

well said

21 hours ago, 02Sled said:

A little more info. on the Gravenhurst incident:

More to this story we first told you about.

On Saturday January 5, 2019 at around 10:15 p.m. Bracebridge OPP, Gravenhurst Fire and Muskoka Paramedic Services responded to the Gravenhurst Wharf near Boston Pizza for a snowmobile collision.

It was reported that a male and a female were headed towards shore on a snowmobile and struck a steel dock at high speed. The male driver received fatal injuries and the female passenger was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

40-year-old Dennis Totten of Gravenhurst was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

A little more info. on the Gravenhurst incident:

More to this story we first told you about.

On Saturday January 5, 2019 at around 10:15 p.m. Bracebridge OPP, Gravenhurst Fire and Muskoka Paramedic Services responded to the Gravenhurst Wharf near Boston Pizza for a snowmobile collision.

It was reported that a male and a female were headed towards shore on a snowmobile and struck a steel dock at high speed. The male driver received fatal injuries and the female passenger was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

40-year-old Dennis Totten of Gravenhurst was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

Know the area pretty well-those docks stick out 50+ meters from shore. Pretty sure Boston Pizza has lights on the end of theirs-not sure about the one he hit. Should have a yellow flasher so it doesn't blend in with the shore lights!

11 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Know the area pretty well-those docks stick out 50+ meters from shore. Pretty sure Boston Pizza has lights on the end of theirs-not sure about the one he hit. Should have a yellow flasher so it doesn't blend in with the shore lights!

Or at the very least a wide strip of reflective tape around them just like every ice hut should have 

12 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Or at the very least a wide strip of reflective tape around them just like every ice hut should have 

Yeah, I was thinking DOT stripping, but it just seems so ..... I don't know - kind'a like that would take away from the ambiance' of the lake life a bit?

Sorry to hear ,but the man was a local and should have know of the big docks out front ,these easily prevented accidents have to stop 

5 minutes ago, Ox said:

Yeah, I was thinking DOT stripping, but it just seems so ..... I don't know - kind'a like that would take away from the ambiance' of the lake life a bit?

Ox, as I think about striping, I realize that this is a very busy tourist and cottage destination with many boats in the summer using the docks at night (and sleds in the winter time). The markings would  have to meet Coast Guard requirements if they were to be left on the posts year around. They would however be helpful to boaters in the dark I think.

H'mmmm. Ambiance or hazard. Get the stripping out.

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Sorry to hear ,but the man was a local and should have know of the big docks out front ,these easily prevented accidents have to stop 

Even at as suggested 50 m out from shore, I would be slowing down rather than racing in to the harbour at 10 at night.

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Even at as suggested 50 m out from shore, I would be slowing down rather than racing in to the harbour at 10 at night.

Yeahhhh, but - you're not 10' tall and bullet proof....

Archived