Great Northern Expedition - Endurance Snowmobile Ride

carman80

Seems like a great idea. Good cause, and it appears doable by an experienced rider. I bet they get a great turn out.

That does look interesting.  Unfortunately / fortunately, I will be in Gaspe at that time. 

The other side of the coin is that if you are not involved, it might be a good weekend to avoid Cochrane.  :-)

Roger and I are signed up and booked at the Best Western Swan Castle Inn! The route is going to include Timmins, Kapuskasing, and Abitibi Canyon; it will definitely be an easy 600km day.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  The event is shaping up to be very successful and we have amazing support from the snowmobiling community!  I appreciate everyone who has already signed up.  We do have some amazing prizes from our sponsors so check out the event happening in Cochrane on March 2nd, 2019.  If anyone has any questions regarding the event please feel free to reach out to me anytime.  Our charity of choice is the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

http://www.canuckpowersports.com/expedition-registration/

Cheers

Ryan Hawkins

8 hours ago, carman80 said:

Roger and I are signed up and booked at the Best Western Swan Castle Inn! The route is going to include Timmins, Kapuskasing, and Abitibi Canyon; it will definitely be an easy 600km day.

Easy 600kms in the NCDN thats for sure.. Get at it...:icon_steer::icon_steer:8-)

So are we to believe that this trek is to happen on OFSC trails?  600 km in 1 day, is that the idea ? 

Doable, yes. Legal? Hmmmmmm. I wonder what the OFSC would have to say about it. 

I can't say that I can condone such an adventure on open public trails. 

7 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

So are we to believe that this trek is to happen on OFSC trails?  600 km in 1 day, is that the idea ? 

I seem to recall years ago a couple of fellows from Cochrane doing a 24 hour mileage run riding back & forth to Kap'/Hearst. Doing the math from the newspaper write up & it was obvious that they were exceeding the 50 kph speed limit. Apparently they got a visit from the local constabulary...

In the 90s the CSRA had a XC (not snowcross) race up in Hearst. I'm assuming it was a closed course & not on the public trails.

Welcome aboard. Good luck and godspeed with the endurance event.

5 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I would have to  agree with this statement.  I think if they were wise the event should be sanctioned by the Ofsc, and run as a proper event. I don’t imagine it would be cheap running any properly  organized event on OFSC trails though.  OFSC can’t seem to scratch up enough money to properly sign trails, how are the going to support an event?

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

I seem to recall years ago a couple of fellows from Cochrane doing a 24 hour mileage run riding back & forth to Kap'/Hearst. Doing the math from the newspaper write up & it was obvious that they were exceeding the 50 kph speed limit. Apparently they got a visit from the local constabulary...

In the 90s the CSRA had a XC (not snowcross) race up in Hearst. I'm assuming it was a closed course & not on the public trails.

That would have been the NordCan 250, many of our customers were riders in the event.  It was almost entirely cross country, with only a couple of very short stretches using roads for access to the next leg.  There were dozens of volunteers on the course to guide the riders in the right direction. 

8 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I have to agree with this not being legal , unless it is a timed event where you have to enter a checkpoint at an allotted time .  100 km at 120 minutes lose points for being to fast or too slow like they do with car rallies. Otherwise this would be a litigators dream .   

9 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I actually emailed Ryan Hawkins at Canuck Powersports  on Saturday and asked some of your same questions. He replied quickly and in great detail to my questions.

I hesitate to provide his actual answers without approval to distribute same. He is a new member to OC and had a post on this thread yesterday.

He did say that he has approval from the OFSC and will be using OFSC trails. He said that for the most part the routes are a loop with  some parts require riding return on the same trail section in spots.

He also mentioned that they have liability insurance in place although waivers have to be signed.

I asked about the fact that the time/distances do not allow for legal speed riding. He said that they used the 400 and 600 km distances for advertising and will either adjust the distances to account for time required for 1 fuel stop for the 400 km and 2 fuel stops for the 600 km. OR they will eliminate the time limits. 

I was very impressed with his detailed responses and based on what he said, this has been a venture in process for quite some time.

I now realize that I forgot to welcome him to our forum. Welcome to OC Ryan! I wish you success with your event ,hope you have time to update us on the Expedition as it unfolds and stay with us long after this year's event is over.

9 hours ago, Denis007 said:

It says on the webpage that the 400km is an 8 hour ride, and the 600 is a 12 hr ride.  That there is 50 km an hour.  No where does it say anything that you cant take longer to do it.

I dont think this would be any different than a club organizing a poker run, or some other event where you get sleds coming from all directions to attend the event

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

The 600 km they are promoting as a 12 hour ride. That would be right based on 50 kph for 12 hours. Similarly the 400 km  is promoted as 8 hours at 50 kph.

16 hours ago, Canuck Powersports said:

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  The event is shaping up to be very successful and we have amazing support from the snowmobiling community!  I appreciate everyone who has already signed up.  We do have some amazing prizes from our sponsors so check out the event happening in Cochrane on March 2nd, 2019.  If anyone has any questions regarding the event please feel free to reach out to me anytime.  Our charity of choice is the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

http://www.canuckpowersports.com/expedition-registration/

Cheers

Ryan Hawkins

Welcome to the forum, have seen your posts on Fb and various sled magazines, We will be in Gaspe during your event but hope it all goes well for you and your chosen charity.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

The 600 km they are promoting as a 12 hour ride. That would be right based on 50 kph for 12 hours. Similarly the 400 km  is promoted as 8 hours at 50 kph.

Agreed, 600 km. in 12 hours at 50 km. per hour is a correct calculation.  That calculation does not take into effect time required for 2 fuel stops and time taken slowing and stopping as necessary for hazards and stop signs etc. Nor does it take into effect time lost at checkpoints.  Guess you aren't going to have time to eat at Moonbeam clubhouse or anywhere else and do the trip legally in the time frame advertised.

As originally presented, to qualify for the "larger prizes" available you would have to finish within the times advertised.

I believe from communicating with Ryan that there will be changes before the event takes place.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

The 24 hour run/distance record setting stunt did NOT go over well with clubs or the district.

The XC race resulted in a sled vs. logging truck fatality at an unmarked road crossing. Hence no further such events. 

Met some guys at the Companion in Hearst several years ago who had started from New Liskeard that same day. Their math didn't make sense to us.

I miss the days when getting to either Hearst or Cochrane would take hours because we took time to stop at each clubhouse along the way.

You'll notice that neither the OFSC or any of the NCDN clubs are mentioned as sponsors or supporters. 

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Agreed, 600 km. in 12 hours at 50 km. per hour is a correct calculation.  That calculation does not take into effect time required for 2 fuel stops and time taken slowing and stopping as necessary for hazards and stop signs etc. Nor does it take into effect time lost at checkpoints.  Guess you aren't going to have time to eat at Moonbeam clubhouse or anywhere else and do the trip legally in the time frame advertised.

As originally presented, to qualify for the "larger prizes" available you would have to finish within the times advertised.

I believe from communicating with Ryan that there will be changes before the event takes place.

I believe that something like  an average of 36 km hr,staying within reasonable limits is about right. That includes lunch and stops and the other breaks. I guess that why it takes 3 Days to run the original I-500 ,and it was a race!!

Thanks for communicating with the organizers I have made the OFSC aware of the screwed up logistics of this race and expressed my disapproval of there  approval of it.

24 minutes ago, gtserider said:

I believe that something like  an average of 36 km hr,staying within reasonable limits is about right. That includes lunch and stops and the other breaks. I guess that why it takes 3 Days to run the original I-500 ,and it was a race!!

Thanks for communicating with the organizers I have made the OFSC aware of the screwed up logistics of this race and expressed my disapproval of there  approval of it.

When we run Que. loops-Val D'Or/Amos/La Saare/Rouyn-Noranda etc. we allow 40 km. per hour including gas & lunch stops therefore 325k. from Temiscaming to Val D'Or is usually 8 hrs.

40 minutes ago, gtserider said:

No where in the advertising does it ever suggest that this event is a race. The organizers have approval from this  OFSC for the fundraiser event. The organizers have already said that they are going to make some changes with regards to time/distance. Why don't you give them the opportunity to work the kinks out before passing judgement?

2 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

The 24 hour run/distance record setting stunt did NOT go over well with clubs or the district.

The XC race resulted in a sled vs. logging truck fatality at an unmarked road crossing. Hence no further such events. 

Met some guys at the Companion in Hearst several years ago who had started from New Liskeard that same day. Their math didn't make sense to us.

I bet!

I wasn't aware of a fatality ocurring. My renter @ the time was up there to help a mutual friend who was racing in those years.

No different than the guys that say they can do the RAP tour (approx' 600 miles) in an impossibly short time.

Good afternoon everyone,

Sorry for the late reply as I am catching up on all of the posts.  Firstly I appreciate everyone's concerns and thank you to those that have welcomed me to the site.  Brian you are more than welcome to post any portion of the email that I sent you the other day.  It may help as many people may have the same questions. 

It states on our website and on our media sections that this is a RIDE and NOT A RACE.  For obvious reasons and liability, you can not host a race on public sanctioned trails.  With that being said... We had a meeting with our event committee and have decided to remove the time limit.  As Dave K mentioned above in this post "this is no different than someone hosting a poker run on the trails" and he is 100% correct.  Everyone who enters the event will be placed into a draw for all of our prizes from our sponsors.  Also, we are putting together 40 bags (for the first 40 registered) with promotional items which will include swag and discounts on items from our sponsors. 

This event has been in the process of coming together for over a year.  There are many things to take into consideration when putting together an event of this magnitude.  Being our first year there will be growing pains, changes that will need to be made leading up to the event etc. which will all happen prior to the event commencing.  Bear with us as certain things take time but I can assure you that we will have all of our basis covered come March 2nd.

We have the OFSC's approval.  I was in contact with them and went over certain requirements such as proper wording, legalities etc.  I have included a link to an article that I wrote for them in this months Go Snowmobiling that is about our event.  Keep in mind that this was published prior to making changes which will continue to happen prior to the Expedition.

Page 15

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/sites/default/content/images/rider cafe/2018_GSOM_%232_WEB.pdf

In years to come will will be including off trail segments for those that wish to venture off trail.  For our first year we will be staying 100% on OFSC trails.  Catering to the entire snowmobiling population is our goal as we continue to grow the event.

Our website has been updated and all of our advertising for the event from here on out will include any changes that have been made to date.  For those of you that have already registered I appreciate your support.  I will be sending out email blasts leading up to the event to those who have registered.  Details will include start times, detailed information regarding the event, and a few other things that will be detrimental leading up to the big day.

I am currently working on the routes so please be patient.  Trails are still opening and we will not be including any part of the route that is marked as closed.  For this reason, exact routes will be posted a couple of weeks in advance prior to the event.  Expect to explore areas such as Cochrane, Abitibi Canyon, Kapuskasing, Timmins and Iroquois Falls.  We may have to make last minute changes to the route due to conditions or Mother Nature if need be, but the above areas should give you a pretty good idea of where you'll be riding.

We have some great sponsors backing us for which we are very appreciative!!  Our sponsors see the progression of a unique event such as ours.  We are trying to develop something that may be out of the norm for most riders and provide a positive experience within the snowmobiling community.  If anyone would like to volunteer their time to assist with the event we would be more than happy to use your expertise.  In the end, this is going to be a great day for everyone involved and money will be raised for the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation that hits very close to home for our family.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if anyone has any further questions or concerns.  I will be 100% transparent and up to any constructive feedback as it arises.  Being a snowmobile ambassador, it is important to think outside of the box and give back to ensure that snowmobiling continues to grow.  Having events like The Great Northern Expedition promotes the sport that we all love, so lets all work together in a positive manner.

Kindest regards,

Ryan Hawkins

Canuck Powersports

canuckpowersports@gmail.com

Archived