st jean port joli january 2-5

slomo

The one sign Quebec has that the OFSC should have is the larger stop ahead signs . Quebecs seem to be about 30 % larger  . Maybe Slomo can varify  that. 

Curious as to how a post about sledding in Quebec turned into an issue with OFSC signs? 

I figure the more signs that keep us safe, from ourselves, AND others, are a great idea. Nobody likes a surprise trail "feature", or meeting someone coming the other way, unaware.

These set a good example of how not to get lost.

No confusion as to what way to go, and how far. The ones on the 1st pic are permanent installations. There's a proper map, (not an "artist's concept" deal) with a "YOU ARE HERE" plainly visible. The 2nd pic is more rudimentary, but the guy in the pic, in the intersection, in the middle of nowhere, is fully qualified and authorised to ensure trail pass compliance. You can even BUY a pass from him, on the spot to avoid the fine. For a serious premium. 

Maybe this helps pay for the serious signage?

P1000425.JPG

P1000418.JPG

I think Tourisme Quebec [Quebec government] puts a lot of $ into promoting snowmobiling in Quebec. Someone said it's a billion $ industry in the province!

Day 3

Overcast blustery day for a ride which headed west and included parts of what they call the sugar bush trail....after first climbing a few hills....

725891436_pic01.thumb.JPG.819e76e230152275ba422818663ad790.JPG

1006151643_pic02.thumb.JPG.f1dd1886e2488872542079d0e2423d3d.JPG

2135009169_pic03.thumb.JPG.575a048ac9976b58a469a41f9ff67e2c.JPG

208607451_pic04.thumb.JPG.372edab41a0ab4df2a7007466ba9c5bb.JPG

Heading over a well staked Lac Trois Saumons for a 5 km lake crossing.....

832879383_pic05.thumb.JPG.05b6e2f684a1565b951af889774beded.JPG

A few natural cathedral areas....

751315942_pic06.thumb.JPG.e0faf0f99f854debfc8470305ee52570.JPG

and a last snowy look upon the valley in which St. Jean Port Joli resides into which is falling a lot of snow....good news for the weekend sledders and the groomers were out already....

1027557614_pic07.thumb.JPG.8caf1a2d60de484dbea4cd839e6b1d29.JPG

A fine area in which to ride and not too onerous a distance from places in Ontario. There are a lot of trails in the area located on shared camp roads and even some residential areas, so due diligence is required if planning to come here during spring type weather - the link in the previous post to the trail conditions map for the region will come in handy.

The motel in which I was staying was rather run down but provided plenty of room, good internet, plenty of heat and hot water,  English TV channels, and was located in an area with many eateries and fuel choices, lots of parking and right on the trail. I would rate the motel as equivalent to any of the others in which I have stayed that were priced around $80 - $100 per night. ms. slomo no problem, ms. Canuck?...not sure - she doesn't like his boat.

motel.thumb.jpg.fd512839d7a27f06f59d8746b795c8cd.jpg

You can easily book on Motels.com if your spoken language skills are lacking - just bring the print out. So easy even 02sled could do it. Single rooms and double rooms (recommended) are the same price.

https://ca.hotels.com/ho564597/motel-la-seigneurie-saint-jean-port-joli-canada/?locale=en_CA&pos=HCOM_CA

or tourism web site:

https://chaudiereappalaches.com/en/travel-quebec/la-cote-du-sud/saint-jean-port-joli/motel-la-seigneurie/hotel/

Not sure what is going on with the Motel 414 in the picture - looks a bit newer, but rooms appear smaller.

As usual, I received no discounts or special consideration for anything written in this thread. Unlike some.

Been here, got the sweatshirt.

Été ici, j'ai le chemise.

12 hours ago, coldfinger said:

The one sign Quebec has that the OFSC should have is the larger stop ahead signs . Quebecs seem to be about 30 % larger  . Maybe Slomo can varify  that. 

Saw some stop signs that are large road traffic sizes and other smaller ones as in Ontario. One noted difference is at certain intersections which might be busy or hazardous, the distance to the stop sign is noted on an advanced stop sign i.e ARRET 100 (meters I suppose) What really comes in handy are the arrow signs - show trails going in a U direction or even in a corkscrew U direction plus the other types previously posted.

Just blue skying here.....the reason I heard that Ontario has minimal signs is that riders should be alert at ALL times whether a trail segment is dangerous or not. So, could an out of province sledder start legal proceedings in the event of an accident saying that in his province the trail signs make good sense and the trail signs in Ontario are subsequently lacking creating dangerous conditions? It seems most other conventions, such as staking lakes, are common to all provincial jurisdictions, why not these signs?

4 hours ago, slomo said:

Saw some stop signs that are large road traffic sizes and other smaller ones as in Ontario. One noted difference is at certain intersections which might be busy or hazardous, the distance to the stop sign is noted on an advanced stop sign i.e ARRET 100 (meters I suppose) What really comes in handy are the arrow signs - show trails going in a U direction or even in a corkscrew U direction plus the other types previously posted.

Just blue skying here.....the reason I heard that Ontario has minimal signs is that riders should be alert at ALL times whether a trail segment is dangerous or not. So, could an out of province sledder start legal proceedings in the event of an accident saying that in his province the trail signs make good sense and the trail signs in Ontario are subsequently lacking creating dangerous conditions? It seems most other conventions, such as staking lakes, are common to all provincial jurisdictions, why not these signs?

Just a thought here. Could it be that having the extra signs and depending on volunteers to install them, creates more opportunity for the wrong sign being used for a trail hazard ahead or placed incorrectly. That happening could create more liability for the OFSC. I remember seeing that happen different places on the trail when we had all the extra signs. I believe it was often done with good intention when a volunteer didn't have the proper sign available or was not educated properly on sign placement.

Another thought. When you travel and drive in another country you are responsible to know what the different road signs used mean and drive accordingly. Why should it be any different for non Ontario residents riding OFSC snowmobile trails? 

When you see a slow sign posted on OFSC trails it means that there is a hazzard ahead and you should slow down from the 50 kmh posted speed limit. If you do that you will not have an issue getting through any of the posted hazzards.  It works. Simple as that!

Besides Ox would never come sledding here if we had more signs. LOL

Each club should have a sign co-coordinator. Their responsibility is to ensure that the signage on club groomed trails meets the prescribed standards as set out by the OFSC in conjunction with MTO.

Also the OFSC and or district can call for an audit of any clubs trail signage, and trails can be closed if the signage is not up to spec.

This way the signage that a rider encounters should be consistent when you ride across clubs and districts.

It's lots of fun for snowmobile clubs when hunters shoot up the signs and people steal them.

42 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It's lots of fun for snowmobile clubs when hunters shoot up the signs and people steal them.

Or the moose rub them off....

Besides Ox would never come sledding here if we had more signs. LOL

I'll jist go further north where the folks aren't such Nancy's....

Our very first trip to sled in The Great White North, we were the first ones accrost the KB river between Dubruil and Hornepayne (after Ray told us that WE were Nancy's (not his words)) and we broke trail to Hearst on the old trail @ -30*. First ones through from Hornepayne for the year. Signage was almost non-existant, and we'd never been before. There was some really funky worshout in the trail that was maybe 6' deep, no signs. We arrived alive.

Slo:

Did you ride alone, or did you hook up with a random rider? 

Possibly the guy in the one pic?

I have gone alone and hooked up with another group before, but in the end broke away and went on my own anyhow. I can only stop and eat so many times in 1 day. Not that the food at Pat's Resto isn't fine, but how hungary can you git since stuffing your gut with an Ernie Burger?

Mike:

You've prolly seen those slide before, but I was up helping my chum put the gable ends on the 2nd story of his new house/cabin in Da UP Eh! Roof had maybe 6" of snow on it, and we were walking around it deciding how/what we were going to doo (?) and all of a sudden it started to slide - remember - 2 story....

I just happened to be off to the side by a cpl feet, but he saw it coming and started to run away from it, and he could not outrun it. It basically tackled him and semi buried him. 

His nail pouch was completely packed in ice! LOL!

Thing is that he knew better to try to outrun a falling tree - just step aside, but it just took him by surprise. 

Wish I could upload that 3 seconds of video from my brain to Youtube! LOL!

6 hours ago, Ox said:

Slo:

Did you ride alone, or did you hook up with a random rider? 

Myself - In the picture -just a guy going by as I lined up a shot of the hills in the distance. Worked nicely with the dash of colour.

Archived