Get ready to blow.

zoso

I'm ok with the new level of enforcement

there are way too many tragities on our roads, waters and trails. 

Nothing upsets me more than seeing beer cans on the side of the trail, shore or road . 

This change has nothing to do with a police state but more pressure from the people of Ontario telling the government to stop this type of reckless behaviour from happening. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

When you consider how many empty beer cans you see left in the clubhouses/warm-up shacks or garbage pails on the trail there seems to be more drinking and riding than there needs to be. I don't know if these riders are impaired but you can kill yourself easy enough when you are sober. I welcome police attempting to get the alcohol off the snow. I can wait until I'm home before having my bourbon.

It is sad isnt it? I never got around to do my E107 can run last spring, but the sledders & ATVers definitely leave a lot of them behind.

Considering the continuing tragedies on the highways due to impaired driving, it's obvious the message hasnt been received on the trails either.

I guess we're all considered guilty until proven innocent anymore...

No ride spot checks in the States-officer has to suspect or observe bad/drunken driving or reported to them. An infringement of personal rights there!

3 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

This change has nothing to do with a police state but more pressure from the people of Ontario telling the government to stop this type of reckless behaviour from happening. 

Actually isnt this change from the Feds?

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

It is sad isnt it? I never got around to do my E107 can run last spring, but the sledders & ATVers definitely leave a lot of them behind.

Considering the continuing tragedies on the highways due to impaired driving, it's obvious the message hasnt been received on the trails either.

I guess we're all considered guilty until proven innocent anymore...

One should have a look inside any of the polar bear riders warm up shacks. Normally a full over flowing garbage pail of empties.  Kind of sad when you consider the speeds up there, but I guess it's better then trail litter.

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Actually isnt this change from the Feds?

Sure the government impliments the change but it's lobby groups that push their agenda onto the government that really causes the change 

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

Yes this has Truedopes prints all over it. Liberal Fascism is the worst, Nazi's are nicer people.

No government in Ottawa would ever move off their ass if they were not pushed by the groups who elected them 

to say any party in Canada is Fascist is just uneducated immaturity ! 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

No government in Ottawa would ever move off their ass if they were not pushed by the groups who elected them 

to say any party in Canada is Fascist is just uneducated immaturity ! 

What group was it again that decided we should have an open border policy. I must have missed the public outcry over our borders not being wide open.....

2 hours ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

I agree with you about rights. Who's rights take priority? The riders out there riding according to the laws of the land or those riding under the influence? The question of them being legally impaired under today's definition is kind of irrelevant considering each person reacts to alcohol and drugs differently. While the person may not be legally impaired they may not be in a position to operate a vehicle capable of going from zero to stupid fast in no time flat.

With our rights in this country come responsibilities. It is up to us, as citizens, to follow the laws of the land or accept the penalties (without snivelling). If there weren't issues with impaired driving the police wouldn't be asking people to blow. The recent legalization of weed brings another angle to this issue.

Wether being asked to blow into a breathalyzer constitutes a denial of our rights remains for the courts to decide.

The point here is there is zero presumption of innocence and a total disregard of our legal rights.  For me it matters none since I don't drink and ride, but that really isn't the point being made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not one to vent on here or the internet in general but this topic has touch the right or wrong nerve. 

Everytime there is a death from alcohol related accident it adds support to organizations like MAD. When a high profile event happens like that billionaire kid who killed the 3 kids and grand dad that creates a lot of support for increased enforcement and Ottawa or queens park have no choice but respond. 

The OPP are the tools the government responds with and change the rules to respond to the lobbying groups demands. 

If people smartened up there would be less enforcement not more like we have now 

• Like 2

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

The point here is there is zero presumption of innocence and a total disregard of our legal rights.  For me it matters none since I don't drink and ride, but that really isn't the point being made.

and that is the thin edge of the wedge 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sledguy74 said:

I'm not one to vent on here or the internet in general but this topic has touch the right or wrong nerve. 

Everytime there is a death from alcohol related accident it adds support to organizations like MAD. When a high profile event happens like that billionaire kid who killed the 3 kids and grand dad that creates a lot of support for increased enforcement and Ottawa or queens park have no choice but respond. 

The OPP are the tools the government responds with and change the rules to respond to the lobbying groups demands. 

If people smartened up there would be less enforcement not more like we have now 

make the punishment on the ones that screwed up public and brutal as a deterrent 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zoso said:

What group was it again that decided we should have an open border policy. I must have missed the public outcry over our borders not being wide open.....

This is a different subject but other countries influence when Canada does with immigration 

furthermore a lot of Canadian immigrates support the open policy you are referring too 

1 minute ago, Wildbill said:

make the punishment on the ones that screwed up public and brutal as a deterrent 

I agree

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

The stats put out in traffic fatalities where alcohol is a factor are out right lies. 

Can you back this up in some way?

I am sure that not all accidents that happened with alcohol, would not have happened with no alcohol. (follow that?)

How many could be the other guy's fault? Other guy blows a red light, yet since this guy blew a .1 - he must be the problem - sorta thing.

Same has been in regards to minor drivers. The problem Shirley couldn't be with the adult. It has'ta be the inexperienced minor's fault.

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, zoso said:

The stats put out in traffic fatalities where alcohol is a factor are out right lies. MADD is a self serving greedy entity that needs to go away.

All lobby groups always have a set agenda 

that's how politics work. 

Im not here supporting one view over another

im saying when public outcry gets loud enough government has to respond 

they want to keep their jobs 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ox said:

Can you back this up in some way?

They include any alcohol in the system, even if so low it has zero effect and was NOT a factor. IE: You have one glass of wine,, one hour later you are stopped at a red, a person rear ends you, they have zero BAC, you have 0.01, bingo, alcohol is a factor. Madd will even include a passenger having consumed and not the driver, as proven in their most recent propaganda ads stating a number that equated to 92% of all deaths on the highway were alcohol related.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Im not here supporting one view over another I'm saying when public outcry gets loud enough government has to respond 

they want to keep their jobs 

I agree, and would further suggest the government has to respond to public outcry (and to properly conducted research) if they want to DO their job.

Edited by Blake G

27 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Instead of assuming everyone must be guilty.  Next they will be knocking down our doors searching for whatever the government deems is appropriate, IDTS.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Four times in one day would be a pain in the butt... I'm going to guess the increased presence would be the radar runs and an increased tendency for many of the increased traffic to have a few there during the day.

So was it really a complete stop or did you just slow down and get waved on. They could do that 10 times a day for all I care... especially if they get some freeloaders off the trails. Also if you don't have a val tag I'm going to guess they likely don't have insurance either, perhaps even a drivers license.

Waved me down, i stopped and then the Opp  looked at my trail pass and val tag to make sure they were current.Then waved me on. I have been stopped at the Highland Rovers groomer shed and had all my info ran/called in. The reason i know this my buddy heard my name come over the scannner. He asked me later in the day what i had been up to and i said nothing. My buddy then said he heard my name on the scanner. He figured i had been speeding.Lol.... 

Edited by snowchopper

7 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I agree, and would further suggest the government has to respond to public outcry (and to properly conducted research) if they want to DO their job.

Yes your spot on