st zenon dec 25-27

slomo

Last night I'm in the hallway using the computer close to the wifi trying to upload this pic to ms. slomo -

1617249137_xmascats.thumb.jpg.80e856c8cc4f802b2370b6f5dd5e8401.jpg

It's a thing the local tv station did in Edmundston - put up the tree and let six cats loose in an enclosure - took 3 hours but they wrecked the tree. Thought I had clicked on the wrong button later -MEET GIRLS FROM ST. ZENON! - there is a knock on the motel room outside door and there is one standing there in the cold - locked her key n her own room so brief excitement there.

Next day, up and out as the restaurant opens to hit the trails - all in very good shape-

pic01.thumb.JPG.235b093b388be0b571215d7c0aa47d0a.JPG

some icey patches but didn't get pictures of those

pic02.thumb.JPG.a1e3a06e16b38daffd8351272f2d713e.JPG

brings back memories of 02sled's and white dragon's favourite song......

pic03.thumb.JPG.6a494292cfd46672bbf635b862f084d7.JPG

quand le soliel dit bonjour sur les mountains.....

pic04.thumb.JPG.693632167939d2a561641ad7497ba824.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.c5f3b5b1bc46956a24d73f0f68f47299.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.f4469867960abb8fe2f742043e00c7ab.JPG

Supposed to rain here briefly vendredi but I don't expect much damage to the trails....not as many folks out as I expected either as this is one of the few areas open in any eastern province....good burger here....more tomorrow if I can get a connection.....

My three days here came to an end on Friday morning - left a darkened parking lot at 6 am and good news for arriving sledders was 6 - 8 inches of new snow on the ground. St. Zenon (about 12 km's north of the motel by sled) is the community at highest elevation in the area so no freezing rain or very little there. Snow falling from that point for 65 km's or so to the junction of highway 40 where the rain started, but Quebec has a very effective highway maintenance crew. A few pics from last day's ride...

1723473271_pic01.thumb.JPG.de1e766d43ceb0038e99213938b7dc15.JPG

986846279_pic02.thumb.JPG.5d88a0196599352b57f2a49c861a0a82.JPG

1121833409_pic03.thumb.JPG.a1e9af3993d35ee1f2c5ee9dc0fd491e.JPG

2075656958_pic04.thumb.JPG.a95e30a05742e5db0c62ab423d8f7ec9.JPG

As for the motel,

http://www.laglaciere.com/en/

it is basic and clean, fairly inexpensive ($80 per night depending on room type) has resto bar, gas and blocked shelter for sleds after hours. The loading ramp was also in constant use...

pic05.thumb.JPG.2f7d8b4ff3d96fdf77bcc830a006c659.JPG

Lionel, the owner, is fluently bilingual, and makes you feel right at home - reminded me of the Pats at the motel in Dubrieville who would go out of their way to make sure your stay was pleasurable and could be counted on if you ran into troubles. A couple of cons - no cell phone or spotty in the motel area, although some in other areas close by, no English language TV (had a few movies on the lap top to catch up on) and internet is located only or close to the restaurant part of the motel.

It is in a centrally located spot and it seems any direction provides good trail conditions. One thing I'd point out is that currently water overflows and icey patches can provide sudden dangerous conditions especially if you loose concentration on a silky smooth upon which these things suddenly crop up.

Try to get on Lionel's email list where he keeps folks up to date on trail conditions - after seeing these conditions after the massive rain event December 23 where the whole province was shut down-

1548267125_pqtrailconditionsdec23.jpg.ba526ce39cb917d1ef13c459398a685e.jpg

.....figured I was going to be completely skunked on this trip but Lionel had sent out a movie showing plenty of snow...and off in that direction went I.....

If you have ever been stuck in a Montreal traffic jam (three hours for me last summer) here is a route that will get you around most of it if heading for the Lanaudiere area on highway 131 north from highway 40....can be approached and is well worth it from north Ottawa way or south 401 to 30 north....

map.jpg.907338b26223148423d64bbea6122573.jpg

On a personal note, I was quite pleased and gratified to engage in my first conversation conducted entirely in French ! I was actually understood and my pronounciation was not laughed at - that being said the folks I talked to were on a rental sled, no map, and desperately lost - perhaps best to play along. Anywhoo, had a paper map, the Quebec trail app on the smart phone (okay had to use words "GPS" ) and got them on their way.

As I had a paper route as a kid and can converse in both official languages, I can now become Prime Minister !     .....we're going to build a wall folks....it's gonna be yuge...the U.S. is gonna pay for it.....

Looks amazing.  Wish coolbane had an extra day to spare as we were going to go somewhere. But we need 3 days at least to componsate for the 9hrs travel. Like that area as its always predictable for early season conditions.  But can get a bit too busy at times.

Thanks for sharing, will have to look into that hotel in the future, I do like Le Cabanon quite a bit though.

thanks for taking the time to do the report Slomo. Now about that wall; can you practice by putting one around my property first:huh:

I like those trails too but I"m not a fan of Cabanon. It is too big and too busy and seems somehow disconnected from Quebec (like going to the DR for an all-inclusive).

5 hours ago, Nunz said:

Thanks for sharing, will have to look into that hotel in the future, I do like Le Cabanon quite a bit though.

What with the pool at Cabanon and all might be a better place if ms. slomo was along - lake is good for her skiing and cell phone internet is available if you've got a stick and the local wifi is slow. I always have to consider internet access as sometimes she has to be in contact with a data base for her work. I also like to start the day with a coffee and check news, weather, and where to go to next! Was fully booked over the last week apparently.

6 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Looks amazing.  Wish coolbane had an extra day to spare as we were going to go somewhere. But we need 3 days at least to componsate for the 9hrs travel. Like that area as its always predictable for early season conditions.  But can get a bit too busy at times.

One strategy you could try is drive over to around Cornwall area on a day after work, stay in a motel there and arrive at your eventual destination with an early check in?

The Iroquois Motel - 

https://iroquoismotel.business.site

is about 30 minutes from the Ontario / Quebec border - clean basic place again (good internet) and $77 per night.

Lion Motel in Long Sault is also good - http://www.lionmotel.com/

bit more expensive and stingy internet. (Both of the above are on an OFSC trail)

I had actually booked at Auberge Cap Martin at La Pocatiere (hour past Quebec city) but cancelled when trails went rainy. (exceptionally good service from them BTW- email replies)  I was going to use the above strategy to break up the drive from my camp in Parry Sound area.

23 minutes ago, slomo said:

What with the pool at Cabanon and all might be a better place if ms. slomo was along - lake is good for her skiing and cell phone internet is available if you've got a stick and the local wifi is slow. I always have to consider internet access as sometimes she has to be in contact with a data base for her work. I also like to start the day with a coffee and check news, weather, and where to go to next! Was fully booked over the last week apparently.

One strategy you could try is drive over to around Cornwall area on a day after work, stay in a motel there and arrive at your eventual destination with an early check in?

The Iroquois Motel - 

https://iroquoismotel.business.site

is about 30 minutes from the Ontario / Quebec border - clean basic place again (good internet) and $77 per night.

Lion Motel in Long Sault is also good - http://www.lionmotel.com/

bit more expensive and stingy internet. (Both of the above are on an OFSC trail)

I had actually booked at Auberge Cap Martin at La Pocatiere (hour past Quebec city) but cancelled when trails went rainy. (exceptionally good service from them BTW- email replies)  I was going to use the above strategy to break up the drive from my camp in Parry Sound area.

Thanks for your links for all these places you stay or think of staying.  It sure helps for travel plans and always good to hear positive things about each and things that may need some  work.

12 hours ago, gobills said:

Thanks for your links for all these places you stay or think of staying.  It sure helps for travel plans and always good to hear positive things about each and things that may need some  work.

While I'm on a roll, here's a region that is well reported condition wise and not too much of a stretch for your family from your location for an extended weekend- accomodation links are available at the link below as well as conditions:

https://chaudiereappalaches.com/en/snowmobile/snowmobile-trail-conditions/

9692051_chaudierappalaichaines.jpg.60d2b69454245e33adead98ae05131e8.jpg

Was trapped in a  4 day blizzard in St. Jean Port Joli so I know there is often good snow in the area and a fairly easy drive on 4 lane highways from southern Ontario. They post trail conditions much as is done per trail on the OFSC site. The area looks pretty flat from highway 20, but to the south there are more physical features. High winds can be experienced, particularly around La Pocatiere.

IMPORTANT - to avoid an awful traffic experience while travelling east, following Ontario 401 to Quebec 20 east, make sure and take the bypass - highway 30. (exit 29, 30 south) There is a toll - $4.20 truck plus one axle trailer, but well worth the money. At the eastern end rejoin highway 20 at exit 83. On the return trip ensure you take exit 98 for highway 30 west. ( we missed this one once and bad news) It can be confusing - same person who designed that stunned roadway around the McDonalds / Tim Hortons area in Gravenhurst probably had a hand in this creation as well.

.....and now back to checking weather sites and forecasts, a multitude of trail condition sites, astrologers, the usual during sledding season......

Started a trip from Victoriaville one time and rode south just about to the border then east and snaked our way to Lac Echemins. Very scenic hilly terrain along the border as Slomo mentioned. Was raining the next day and more in forecast so we rode back to the truck and drove to RDL. Wish we could have finished our trip east from Lac Echemins.

You could do a good loop south from Hotel Bernieres on south side of highway 20 at Quebec City but I would do it through the week as the weekends in that area are very busy.

I took they bypass around Montreal when the wife and I headed to the east coast 2 summers ago.

Archived