Weather Forcast

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Hope everyone heading north to ride gets there safely and enjoys the new snow forcasted.

Image may contain: text

Looks like another season of travelling from my standpoint. +10 and rain tomorrow...

30 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Looks like another season of travelling from my standpoint. +10 and rain tomorrow...

X2

39 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I hope not it would be nice to not have to travel the entire winter again.  Although it does have its benefits such as being away from work more lol

looks like wawa is supposed to get 25-35cm...

It can all change very quickly.... The Georgian Bay snow machine can and has dropped 3 feet over night.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.  Calling for upwards of 30 cm in Hornepayne.  May finally be able to get the groomer out and start opening trails.  

Although I am not looking forward to driving home through the aftermath Friday.  Currently at the inlaws in Wasaga and my wife needs to be at work Saturday evening.  

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

yyyyup !

I really hope with this bit of a late start to the season that we’re getting our January thaw now...I hope I’m right

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It can all change very quickly.... The Georgian Bay snow machine can and has dropped 3 feet over night.

Go grab another bottle of brain softener and service the trailer....

18 minutes ago, Lep said:

Go grab another bottle of brain softener and service the trailer....

You've never been in Muskoka and woken up to a massive amount of overnight snow?

That are calling for the same thing from parry sound north.

36 minutes ago, soupkids said:

That are calling for the same thing from parry sound north.

+9 for Parry sound on Friday. My only child lives in BC,so she is not going to much help pulling me out.I tried poking around  yesterday,way to much water.

Booked into Best Western Cochrane Sat. thru Wed.-17" forecast-looking good to Kap!

14 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You've never been in Muskoka and woken up to a massive amount of overnight snow?

Wishfull thinking.  We need some cold still before too much snow.   The cold is still having a hard time getting through the existing snow pack.  3 feet overnight may be wee bit unrealistic though.  Maybe when you had to walk to school in it 40 years ago...haha...I think we all heard that one though...

Orillia: Christmas 1980

We went to the wife's Christmas party. Snowing hard. Car was pushing snow at 2am but we made it home. Woke up at 8:30 in the morning to let the dog out. Measured 39 inches of untouched snow. Shoveled the driveway, then the roof, then the driveway again. Finished at 5pm. The plow still had not got to us to plow the street.

Parry Sound: Christmas of 1984

Snowed and blowed for 4 days straight. Used my mother's sled to go into the cottage( 1 mile off the plowed road) to tell the in-laws to stay put. I would be in the next day to get them. Snowed 42 inches that night. The MTO plow man lived just up the road and was stuck in front of my parent's house right on Hwy. 518. I took the sled to get the in-laws. It took from 9am to 11:30 to get to the cottage. By the time I turned around to pack a trail for the in-laws, my tracks were not visible. Mother's car and my wife's car were parked nose to nose. There was only 4 inches of the antenna sticking out. If we didn't know where the father-in-law's car was, we would not have found it.

Winter 1964. Orrville

Shoveled snow for what seemed like eternity. They cleared the road after it stopped snowing with a D9.

Then I could stand on the snow banks and swing on the telephone wire.

Winter 2012 Parry Sound

Snow on Mill Lake Road was up to the side windows of the wife's Crown Victoria. She almost made it to work. 

Do I need to go on?

Not sure what years they were but I do remember in the last decade. Shore Lane in Wasaga Beach. The residents were snowed in for about 3 days until the plows made it through. Our friends could only see their pickup from the windshield up. They had to climb out a window since they couldn't open the storm door which pushes out from the house even though it was recessed on a covered porch. Port Severn there was no snow for quite some time. Lots of cold so the ground was frozen. Then suddenly 3 and in places 4 feet of snow. The groomer operator told me there were spots that were challenging to get through due to the amount of snow that had drifted in. Midland has an average annual snowfall of 112 in. or just over 9 ft. I believe it was about 4 years ago C trail crossing the 400 hwy on an overpass just north of Port Severn. The snow at the side of the road was as high as the walls of the overpass. Riding along you went nice and slow since there wasn't anything to stop you from going over the edge and falling to the highway below. 4 or 5 years ago cars and trucks were abandoned on the roads and highways, in the Midland Coldwater Port Severn area. They had pulled the plows off the road. Things can change so fast.

I remember the year shore lane snowed in. My wife was living at her parents cottage on shore lane in Wasaga and working in collingwood. She was snowbound for 4 days. I drove down to see her and had snow coming over the hood of my truck when I drove down the road. Got stuck trying to get in the driveway and it wasn’t because the plow had been by. Was probably 2011 as I had just purchased my truck. 

22 minutes ago, matt17 said:

I remember the year shore lane snowed in. My wife was living at her parents cottage on shore lane in Wasaga and working in collingwood. She was snowbound for 4 days. I drove down to see her and had snow coming over the hood of my truck when I drove down the road. Got stuck trying to get in the driveway and it wasn’t because the plow had been by. Was probably 2011 as I had just purchased my truck. 

We have friends who live on Shore Lane not very far from where it runs into Cedar Grove trailer park. They are on the bay and tell us they can count on being snowed in for a few days every year and often more than once. With their home facing the water they have woken up to find they can't see out their windows due to the snow that's drifted up against the front wall. Going way back I remember walking on the beachfront in Wasaga and saying. Look there's a roof on the snow. As we walked closer on the very hard pack snow we saw the full cottage below the snow with about a 6 inch gap between the walls and the snow.

I believe it was about 4 years ago I went to the Parry Sound area to help a friend clear the roof of his cottage. I walked ahead while he got the ladder off the top of his van. I called back to him to forget the ladder. I walked up the drifted snow at the side of the cottage and was now standing on the roof.

We headed to Perry Sound in December (?) 2000 (?) when they got a 5' dump.

We had 2-3' on this side of the lake(s) but the system picked up another couple of feet crossing the lakes.

I don't think that there was any base prior to that tho.

Seen 80" in The Soo in one storm back in 95 or '96.

10 hours ago, snowman said:

Wishfull thinking.  We need some cold still before too much snow.   The cold is still having a hard time getting through the existing snow pack.  3 feet overnight may be wee bit unrealistic though.  Maybe when you had to walk to school in it 40 years ago...haha...I think we all heard that one though...

Last year in penetang at my dads cottage we got just over 2’ over night. Not 3’, but I’m sure 3’ is possible.

9 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Last year in penetang at my dads cottage we got just over 2’ over night. Not 3’, but I’m sure 3’ is possible.

Bring it on!   Better than rain their calling for tomorrow.

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Bring it on!   Better than rain their calling for tomorrow.

Yeah, not looking forward to that. 

Harding up to Gowganda to see Ron and Giselle tomorrow ,going to run logging and mining roads for the weekend and scratch the itch ,trailer and truck are loaded for a early morn takeoff 

Archived