Used sled prices.

ZR SLEDHEAD

Anyone else watching used sled prices? Been looking for a spare / get a new sledder on the snow ride since about October. Oddly sellers are not chiming into the reality their 10yr old sled with 12,000 miles and no extras is not going to bring 5K plus nor is your 10yr old sled with only 1500 miles worth 80%+ of what you paid new,  yes in spite of your listing it multiple times per week. Just as bad, three year old sleds with say 4000km on them priced $2000 under what dealers are selling brand new. with full warranty. Even more amusing, prices seem to be based on what everyone else is asking, well according to those that have been forthcoming enough with how they've come up with the value advertised. No doubt everyone selling used wants to see max return on what they've spent but reality needs to play a part here, guess thats why there is a huge number of used sleds on the market right now with precious few selling. 

Just my 02.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season (or lack thereof) isn't helping sales, but might help you. Tried posting a wanted ad? Might get through the noise, and right to someone actually interested in selling.

Just be glad you're not shopping for a used dirt bike. 

2t bikes are at a premium, some are selling 15 year old bikes at a profit.

4 strokes, not so much.  If they go bang, they're basically scrap metal.

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Anyone else watching used sled prices? Been looking for a spare / get a new sledder on the snow ride since about October. Oddly sellers are not chiming into the reality their 10yr old sled with 12,000 miles and no extras is not going to bring 5K plus nor is your 10yr old sled with only 1500 miles worth 80%+ of what you paid new,  yes in spite of your listing it multiple times per week. Just as bad, three year old sleds with say 4000km on them priced $2000 under what dealers are selling brand new. with full warranty. Even more amusing, prices seem to be based on what everyone else is asking, well according to those that have been forthcoming enough with how they've come up with the value advertised. No doubt everyone selling used wants to see max return on what they've spent but reality needs to play a part here, guess thats why there is a huge number of used sleds on the market right now with precious few selling. 

Just my 02.

There was a 99 340 for 3999 WTF!!

People are out to lunch on their pricing in Ontario right now! I can’t even find sleds to part out anymore where I’ll actually make a profit. It’s all junk and way over priced! 

I see a lot of beautiful sleds on Facebook that are for sale in the US, and they’re dirt cheap! 

Recently in Hearst there was an 06 Tundra 300 bug-eye with a 137" track that went for 3 grand.  Got his asking price.  It needed the wiring harness for the hood, and I believe the voltage regulator was failing on it, melting the warmer elements ....

8 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Season (or lack thereof) isn't helping sales, but might help you. Tried posting a wanted ad? Might get through the noise, and right to someone actually interested in selling.

Just be glad you're not shopping for a used dirt bike. 

2t bikes are at a premium, some are selling 15 year old bikes at a profit.

4 strokes, not so much.  If they go bang, they're basically scrap metal.

I've been told to F off twice in the last few weeks when I've only asked if seller is open to negotiation. Suspect at least part of it will be due to them more likely vs not receiving ridiculous Kijiji type offers but hey when you've had the ad up for 8 or 9 weeks without a single serious offer perhaps one might want to rethink their price vs continue to play follow the leader. Good part, not stuck to buy one nor am I in a hurry so time is on my side.

Prices are no better up here.

Saw a 98 doo GT, 1600 kms.

Guy was asking 6k

57 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

I've been told to F off twice in the last few weeks when I've only asked if seller is open to negotiation. Suspect at least part of it will be due to them more likely vs not receiving ridiculous Kijiji type offers but hey when you've had the ad up for 8 or 9 weeks without a single serious offer perhaps one might want to rethink their price vs continue to play follow the leader. Good part, not stuck to buy one nor am I in a hurry so time is on my side.

It would seem you've encountered some rude sellers.

I advertised a 2009 sled, 2009 ATV and 2012 ATV on Kijiji at various times in August and September. I had between 5 and 15 replies to each ad. About half the people asked if I would accept a lower price - - generally 50% to 75% of my asking price. I replied with a fairly polite cut-and-pasted statement thanking them for their interest, but declining their offers.

In the end I sold each item in a few days to two weeks, for about 75% to 85% of my starting price - - which was less than what I'd hoped, but close to what I initially expected.

There’s an 02 viper with close to 30,000kms for almost $2k on kijiji with the famous “top and bottom rebuilt” line.

got receipts for that??

6 hours ago, Baylaker said:

People are out to lunch on their pricing in Ontario right now! I can’t even find sleds to part out anymore where I’ll actually make a profit. It’s all junk and way over priced! 

I see a lot of beautiful sleds on Facebook that are for sale in the US, and they’re dirt cheap! 

Don't forget to factor in the US exchange around 32% plus the time and expense to go get it. Then any costs crossing the border.

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Don't forget to factor in the US exchange around 32% >36% plus the time and expense to go get it. Then any costs crossing the border.

Fixed.

Yeah I've had best luck buying out of Quebec or near the Quebec border.  It's a hassle, but can be worth the drive.  Just have to do your homework up front.  The dealers aren't helping this situation.  Their ask prices for used stuff has been going up.  Guess at the end of the day its supply and demand.  Can't blame people for trying.  

It's the time of year. People think if I can get a high price right now I'll sell it. Last year I bought mine in late February, good time as season is almost over, but there's enough snow to take it out for a test drive. About rude sellers, if you've ever sold something on kijiji you know how much bs there is. I usually say I will not negotiate unless in person

1 hour ago, Poo Man said:

It's the time of year. People think if I can get a high price right now I'll sell it. Last year I bought mine in late February, good time as season is almost over, but there's enough snow to take it out for a test drive. About rude sellers, if you've ever sold something on kijiji you know how much bs there is. I usually say I will not negotiate unless in person

Same here. Offers in person only and I state it in my ad. It cuts down on a lot of the crap.

If you send me just a number in an email, I'll tell you to F off.

I have made some offers by email myself but only when the asking price is way out of line with market value. I try to do it without sounding like a jerk but that's hard to do.

Buying and selling is always the same. When you are looking, everyone is asking too much. When you are selling, no one will give you what its worth.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Don't forget to factor in the US exchange around 32% plus the time and expense to go get it. Then any costs crossing the border.

Forsure. it would be nice to buy the sleds in Ontario at US pricing...Quebec seems to be lower than Ontario also

It's a pain trying to sell things through ads etc. People make appointments and don't show. Others do arrive and then try to low ball you and they aren't even in the ball park. I sold a 9.9 Merc outboard a few years ago. It was a 2 year old long shaft and there were few around, mainly short shaft. I believed I had it priced very fairly. Guy came out and spent an hour telling me how it was vastly over priced and offering peanuts trying to get me down. I told him at the time I would go down $100 but that was it. He left.

A couple of weeks later he comes back. He'd been trying to find one without any luck. He wasn't happy when I told him the price was set and I wasn't moving. It was my original price. He wanted the $100 less I had originally offered. That was before he wasted an hour of my time. He paid the full price.

My brother in-law just sold two 1000 thundercats. A 2002 for $4500. and a 1999 for $2500. 

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It's a pain trying to sell things through ads etc. People make appointments and don't show. Others do arrive and then try to low ball you and they aren't even in the ball park. I sold a 9.9 Merc outboard a few years ago. It was a 2 year old long shaft and there were few around, mainly short shaft. I believed I had it priced very fairly. Guy came out and spent an hour telling me how it was vastly over priced and offering peanuts trying to get me down. I told him at the time I would go down $100 but that was it. He left.

A couple of weeks later he comes back. He'd been trying to find one without any luck. He wasn't happy when I told him the price was set and I wasn't moving. It was my original price. He wanted the $100 less I had originally offered. That was before he wasted an hour of my time. He paid the full price.

Sounds like every experience I've ever had on Kijiji. 

Insert other media

I post a FIRM price, typing  FIRM in CAPITAL letters. 

It doesn't stop people who don't read the whole ad from asking, but it sure saves me a lot of replying!

Myself... I prefer to trade in with a dealer... especially after the couple of experiences I had trying to sell online. A key component for me is the break even point when you factor in that when you trade in you only pay HST on the difference between the purchase price of what you're buying and the trade in value. So essentially the break even point between selling privately or trading in has to include the HST savings.

If I can get $4000 for a trade in but think I can sell it privately for $4700, I'll take the $4000. The $4000 plus 13% is $4520. That's my break even point. I try and sell it for $4700 and I may be able to sell it for that but everyone wants to beat you up on price so if I sell it for $4600 I am only $80 ahead on the deal but have to put up with all the phone calls emails and tire kickers for that $80. If I relent and sell for $4500 I lose $20 as opposed to trading in. Also when I trade in I don't have worries about ownership being transferred properly.

I too prefer to trade in, I never had great luck with private selling 

some guy wants to low ball me to my face makes me want to taze him in the forehead .

i hope this +9 is the end of the warm ups for the season! 

21 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Just my 02.

Depends on what sled your looking for.

I spent about a month looking for and researching the current sled I have., 2015 Yamaha RS Venture TF

I was looking for a Venture but wasn't particular about the year,  just wanted it to have EPS and low mileage. I chased half a dozen different ones that appealed to me, only to find I'd missed them by a day or so, and even 15 mins.

Ended up getting one with a little more mileage than I would have cared for (5009 kms) , and I had to drive to Windsor to get it!

Paid about half of what they are asking for a new one!

Now just need some snow so I can try it out:lol:

22 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Just my 02.

Rick check Facebook, I just shared a sled for sale post to you. My buddy is selling a 12  Z1 Bearcat 1100 7000kms  $3500. He'll work with that number if your interested. 

my life is used stuff so I go by The C B B Trader...seems to be close to dealers black book...buddy works at a yamaha dealership and I have called him to compare CBB Trader prices to Yamahas book and its pretty close....

Archived